Two tone on Car and Classic

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

richard-smyth
Knows where Volvo is from

Two tone on Car and Classic

Post by richard-smyth » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:40 am

So the third 480 of the four is now up for sale on Car and Classic :
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1556372
Wish sellers would not blank out the Reg, its not a good start.
Bet what ever they are trying to hide, is never really that bad.
The 1993 Two Tone Reg is K532TBJ and passed its last MOT 17th May 2012 on 115,707 miles.
Not added any miles since.
Cheers, Richard.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Two tone on Car and Classic

Post by jifflemon » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:51 am

£3500 for a car with no MOT?

Utterly delusional. Let’s watch yet another car go through c&c, then Facebook, then be broke for spares due to greedy idiots, passing themselves off as 480 enthusiasts when all they really care about is quick and easy money.

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by WillC9303 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:05 am

I second what’s been said above.

Such a shame these cars were purchased by people who had no intention of saving them, rather just selling them on for a quick buck.

Being a TT 2.0 it makes it very rare indeed. Most had the 1.7 block.

I’d say this one looks to have the best chance of survival due to its condition and attractive spec to any potential buyers, but £3500 is far too much for a car that hasn’t turned a wheel in more than 10 years.

Who wants to guess what they’ll try and flip the white Celeb for then? :bla:
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:45 am

What angers me most, is that a 480 owner bought these cars with intentions to restore them in their retirement and didn't make it.

In steps these clowns, who hoover all 4 up, probably giving the bereaved a good story about how they're enthusiasts who'll "do right by the cars" in order to get the cheapest possible price, when all they actually want is to rip off the very people who were already expressing interest in the cars. There were people on here with genuine interest, and I think all 4 could have found genuine homes. Illegal? No. Immoral? Absolutely.

All of these cars potentially stood a chance at being saved. With these thieving clowns are pricing them like this, none of them will be saved. We've already seen from the (now deleted) video, that they want to achieve results without spending any money, probably with the intention to deceive any potential buyer.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:25 pm

Sadly Jeff, I think you've hit the nail bang on the head :(

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

richard-smyth
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by richard-smyth » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:29 pm

Looks like the first of the four 480's, the green GT has been sold :
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fFpC1D86GeU
Hopefully it still has its original wheels.
Cheers, Richard.

VolvoGuru
480 Newbie

Post by VolvoGuru » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:06 pm

Hello All,
Sadly, I feel the inappropriate comments and personal attack has now gone too far(by some "leaders" of this group who are clearly in a CLICK)

What angers me most, is that you've got no idea what you're talking about and it's utterly laughable.
What's suppose to be a 480 forum for everyone has turned into bullying.
Having already got two 480s that me and my dad have restored and spent a lot of money on, we came across the opportunity to have these four cars and couldn't say no, like anyone else would have.
We paid good money for what the cars condition is, at the time of purchase, not running etc etc. and without much information on them.
We intended to keep them all and restore them to former glory but realised we cant manage to do them all, hence the sales.

Illegal..no immoral..no
The cars have all been saved from the scrap so? Going to enthusiasts who aren't negative, jealous people like yourself.

Deceiving potential buyers? Really? People understand the cars are a project and we've done some light work to help them get started.
The price advertised that you assume to be the selling price is by far away from the actual sale price.
Your own Rescue cars...how qualified are you to say the work has been carried out to a good standard?

Also just FYI
We have 7 cars in total
Have helped numerous people with info and parts
Any "profits " made (you all know how much goes into these cars) is spent on the cars and helping people where we can.

No cars have been scrapped or broken for parts.

The white Celebration, for the sake of the gossip mongers, is still in progress and is planned to be a keeper.
I'm sure we'll sell it one day so you can gossip about the price all you wish.

This message is only to stop negative and horrible comments from affecting a dad & lad enjoying these wonderful cars together.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:00 pm

Can I respectfully suggest you put your toys back in the pram and calm down?

I think you mean "clique " - and there isn't one.

As you say it's a forum for all; just because some people see things differently to you doesn't make them wrong or bullies, and you don't help yourself at all by suggesting as such.

Speaking for myself I say it as I see it. It's interesting that you obviously follow this forum yet chose to stay silent up to now. I'd have thought it an obvious place to be open and detailed about what you were doing with these cars - perhaps then you'd have had a different reaction.

I can assure you I'm not jealous - I've a very nice little collection of my own, thank you. In terms of expertise, how does 30 years experience of 480s sound to you? Plus the Rescue Group includes qualified mechanics and mot testers. Who says we do the cars to a good standard? The new owners. The mot testers who see each one before they are sold on. The mechanics and Volvo technicians who have seen them afterwards. Good enough for me!

Sale prices - pardon? A car might sell for less than advertised but in setting a sale price a seller at least hopes someone will pay it! Otherwise why bother?

So wind your neck in. Engage with this friendly and welcoming club rather than sitting outside it and then complaining . I'm in no position to say whether or not you know your 480s and it makes no odds to me anyway. But you might want to pause and think before coming on here and essentially saying no one else on here knows as much as you do.

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:30 pm

Hear hear David, I think it is laughable that someone who claims to have awareness and understanding of 480 ownership could possibly exist in such apparent ignorance of the reality of the 480 Owners forum and its fundamental basis in camaraderie and mutual support for other 480 owners.

So if someone is going to hoover up a relative treasure trove of potentially salvageable cars for cash then seek to profit immediately by flipping them at unrealistic prices without so much as a simple clean and polish, then that someone is probably not the kind of person normally seeking advice, guidance and support that is the usual way in to discussions here. Coming in with guns blazing shows that person clearly for what they are, a money-seeking out of touch troll.🤨

Engage with the forum all you like, but not to infer that it is anything other than a place for like minded volvo 480 enthusiasts to share stories and info about preserving and enjoying this classic car. 😉
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

VolvoGuru
480 Newbie

Post by VolvoGuru » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:56 pm

Hi David,
Another "friendly" comment, thank you.
I don't mind anyone having different opinions but to comment and critique every single time I do something with MY CARS? Not acceptable I'm afraid.

I don't have to explain to anyone what I do with my 480s, let alone a keyboard warrior like yourself.

30 years of what? Slagging people off? Are you a mechanic? Have you worked for Volvo since you was an apprentice there.. I think not.

"Wind your neck in and engage with this friendly group"😂 my point exactly, get a grip.

You said you're in no position to say and it makes no odds to you, why post negative comments every time I do anything? Looks pretty sad to me.

I have in no way suggested I know more than anyone but only to ask to stop the bullying and horrible comments.
Once again I request this

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by WillC9303 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:05 pm

Hoovering up four 480s at (I assume) close to scrap value, then immediately selling them on for ridiculously inflated prices without showing the cars as much as a sponge, let alone any mechanical fixes is of course going to garner criticism from the 480 club.

Does separating the alloys from the GT because you think you could get an easy 250 quid for them sound like something a genuine enthusiast would do?

:tomato:
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:09 pm

Oh dear, you can't help those who don't want to be helped...you're not listening and you're not thinking...

I never said you had to explain what you did with your 480s. What I gently suggested was that if you engaged with this forum from the outset, shared details of what anyone would surely see was of interest to people on here, you'd have probably had a different reaction.

You can't be surprised when serious enthusiasts pick up the crumbs of information available to them from different sources and interpret them as best they can.

You'd be welcome on here with a different attitude, I'm sure. But approaching the matter as you have, wading in and hurling insults, won't win you any friends.

No-one is forcing you to look at this forum. If you want to join in, do it properly and nicely. If, as a non-membet until this month you don't like what you're seeing, then my best advice is that you don't look in the first place.

Hope you manage to calm down soon ' you're just looking rather foolish and not doing your health much good either. I say that with the best of intentions, but doubtless you'll just consider it "keyboard warrioring".

David

VolvoGuru
480 Newbie

Post by VolvoGuru » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:11 pm

Once again your assumptions are far from reality.
I didn't pay close to "scrap" value for the cars.
What work do you think has been done? Not everything is shown in a video I make for fun with my dad.

I've been requested to keep the car in its original condition by the buyers...hence the no cleaning.

The wheels have not been separated from the GT...wrong again I'm afraid.

Get your facts sorted before posting another negative comment.

Are you a genuine enthusiast, messaging abuse to a young boy who has passion for cars with his dad?

Thank you.

VolvoGuru
480 Newbie

Post by VolvoGuru » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:18 pm

What help have you offered?
Is that what you call abuse?

In fact you did tell me that I should post what I'm doing with the cars and I would then receive a different "reaction"

"Serious enthusiasts"

I have given no insults, but requested multiple times for you to stop the hate comments. The many many posts of hate comments against me when you have no idea what's actually going on gives it away.

I hope you manage to get a life and no hate post every time I move.

Thank you.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:21 pm

Oh dear. Well, personally I know I'm among friends on here, and I am somewhat amused - no-one has ever called me a keyboard warrior before! :lol:

I also know a dead horse when I see one and I am giving up flogging this one...I've tried, gently and kindly, to explain to you why you're encountering what you are, but I'm afraid life's just too short to waste more effort.

David

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:42 pm

So much to unpack here......
VolvoGuru wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:06 pm
What angers me most, is that you've got no idea what you're talking about and it's utterly laughable
No idea what you're referring to but please, feel free to point out where I'm going wrong. I'm expressing my opinion, that's what forums are about you know? An exchange of ideas, discussion about a common subject and suchlike.
VolvoGuru wrote:
Having already got two 480s that me and my dad have restored and spent a lot of money on, we came across the opportunity to have these four cars and couldn't say no, like anyone else would have.
Except you could have; I did. Several people contacted me to ask if these could be rescue candidates, but I didn't pursue them, because, like you, I wouldn't have been able to manage them. The key difference, is that I didn't sniff an opportunity to capitalise on them. I mean, it's not exactly the first time you've done this is it? It's a bit of an ongoing theme isn't it?
VolvoGuru wrote:
The cars have all been saved from the scrap so? Going to enthusiasts who aren't negative, jealous people like yourself.
Jealous? Of what exactly? I've got 4 personal 480's, 7 ongoing 480 projects where I'm giving free labour to people who actually care about their cars, and you think I'm jealous? And whilst the cars HAVE been saved from the scrapyard, there was already plenty of interested parties, who could commit to saving them.See that? SAVING them, not selling them on at profit and expecting to be hailed some sort of hero for doing so. Do you seriously expect anyone to believe you're passing them on at cost because you care so much about saving cars?
VolvoGuru wrote:
Deceiving potential buyers? Really? People understand the cars are a project and we've done some light work to help them get started.
The price advertised that you assume to be the selling price is by far away from the actual sale price.
Your own Rescue cars...how qualified are you to say the work has been carried out to a good standard?
Qualified you say? 34 years of experience, Qualified and time served AutoElectricain, Mechanic and MOT tester, but don't get hung up on that. Project cars start at project car prices, I've bought enough to know.Or perhaps you'd like the world to think you "overpaid" for all of these?

Rescue cars you say? Shall we compare our GT's?
Our GT got fully decomtaminated, and cleaned up, before getting a full service, timing belt, filters, new ignition components etc, New handbrake cables, brake fluid flush, replacement front and rear lights, backbox, and countless other bits, followed by an MOT and then a full respray. It then sold £3750. I'm sure anyone doing the math can work out the margins.

Your GT was dragged from owners and advertised for £1500, coming complete with free dirt and grime - because "barn find" eh? Or perhaps you specially ordered the grime?
VolvoGuru wrote:
Have helped numerous people with info and parts
Any "profits " made (you all know how much goes into these cars) is spent on the cars and helping people where we can."
Yes, we can all see that from your massive activity here and equally on the facebook group where you are equally active.... Shall we compare how many people we've helped? Because I don't think you'll like that either.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, I'm actually fixing rescue cars, at zero labour costs, donating parts to members, have spent over £5k having parts remanufactured that are then sold at cost price (currently making me a whole £520 of my investment back), as well as posting on and administrating the forum. That's on top of actually helping real life people fix their cars, offering advice, sourcing spares, etc. And its not just me; People join this forum to ask for help, to give help where they can, because they too, believe in saving and enjoying 480's.

Now, you could of course, take up the rescue challenge. Do exactly what we do and take the three remaining cars, a bring them back to an MOT'd and running condition, then, like us, pass them on to enthusiastic owners for the cost of the process, with a small donation. We'd positively welcome that sort of stuff. Because we're about saving the remaining 480's.

However, I suspect you'll be sticking with your Heroic "saving them from scrap" story, and "too busy" to save because you only care about pieces of paper with our Late monarchs picture on, rather than 480's.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:12 pm

VolvoGuru wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:18 pm
I have given no insults
VolvoGuru wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:56 pm
let alone a keyboard warrior like yourself.
VolvoGuru wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:18 pm
I hope you manage to get a life

:nuts:
VolvoGuru wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:56 pm
why post negative comments every time I do anything
Ok, take a step back, and think about this. Maybe, the things you are doing are being viewed in a negative way by people on here? Hoovering up cars to sell on is not the sort of thing that enthuiasts like. As I've already said, the 480 community is passionate about saving cars. Have you shown us any of that?
VolvoGuru wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:11 pm
The wheels have not been separated from the GT...wrong again I'm afraid.

Get your facts sorted before posting another negative comment.
The "facts" posted, were that you offered the alloys from GT for sale separately. Are you trying to claim this wasn't the case?

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:15 pm

A word in your shell-like pal

They may be "your" cars (regardless of how ethically they were acquired) but it is Our shared passion on this forum, and it is plain to see that they are simply not being handled in a way that, as enthusiasts, we would abide. We have a stake and are allowed a view.

I can say from personal experience that David is a highly skilled mechanic and has done some incredible work over the years to keep these cars on the road. Everyone on this forum is extremely generous with their time, and when it comes to it, parts. When mine was written off by the Bin Lorry, the club had already rallied around me to provide all the parts necessary to restore the car - within half an hour of me waking up to the dustman admitting his hamfistedness on an icy morning. Oh yes, and all the parts were free, because as enthusiasts and a community, we help each other out. But it isn't a closed community: WillC has only been on here for about a year and a half iirc, yet he has demonstrated himself to be a paragon of passion and pleasantness, hence he has fast become a pillar of the forum and the wider 480 scene as a whole. Jeff, is an astonishingly qualified individual who has never hesitated to give me assistance and advice on mechanical matters. Not just on 480s, whether it's the wheel bearings on my Audi 80 B2 or looking at a sketchy Celica GT-Four, he has always been there with grounded and effective advice that has made a huge difference - even if I have been an incompetent tool (because everyone is flawed).

We have spent an inordinate amount of time with these cars as such we know exactly when one is fairly priced and when some spunknozzle is fleecing one. We have seen it before, and we know your type.

As has been said, if you really did have the inclination to save these cars you would have reached out by now and engaged instead of calling yourself "VolvoGuru" and launching a vehement attack on the people who actually take the time to preserve these cars instead of making a quick buck. Have we had to break cars in the past? Sure. Sometimes there is just no other option, but that wasn't from lack of trying. Of course it is up to you whether to post or not, but if you want yourself to be viewed in a positive light by the authorities on this model, you would have given us something positive to go off. We have simply built a picture of your character through available resources, which have, and still do, create a picture of you being dishonest and manipulative.

We will make sure any prospective buyer that comes to us knows exactly who they are dealing with and just what those cars are worth.

Regards
Ben
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:51 pm

Ben, Sylvia, Jeff, David, James, Will - legends the lot of you.

I'm all ears for Mr VolvoGuru's next attempt at making friends.... not holding my breath though :) What a shame, as there are probably several salvageable cars there that might not go to sympathetic homes now.

Mind you, despite the attempts of some to create a 'market' for these fine beasts, there doesn't seem to be a corresponding rise in their market value. So, perhaps if the great unwashed hang around at silly money for a while, we might see them priced more realistically and offered for 'enthusiasts' after all.

Well said, everyone. What a fine group of friends this quirky marque has in this place :)
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)