Any chance of a clutch cable being available?

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Any chance of a clutch cable being available?

Post by MisterH » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:09 pm

Hi all, Hope you are all well :)

I haven't really been using the Volvo since it passed it's MOT, a combination of a rash of electrical gremlins, tracking still needing doing and a reluctance to expose it to the world has meant the car is currently on Ice. However, perhaps the biggest reason for it to be off the road is that I don't trust the clutch cable to always be available when I want it.

Now, as some of you may recall, last year the clutch cable pulled itself through the bulkhead, rendering it inoperable and the car undriveable. The cable itself wasn't damaged, but at the time we noted that it did look quite tired. Having only known the Rover and this, I didn't think that there was a problem. The Rover's clutch was fine, although I didn't realise it, as with a 2.0 Twin Cam sending 130bhp through the front wheels, it was hardly the biggest difference between the two cars.

However, with my 1986 Audi 80 Sport being my daily driver for the best part of 8 months now, and with a clutch that seems to work fine, jumping back into the Volvo I came to realise that perhaps this cable really needs changing, feeling very limp and lifeless, with very little springback, although it is there. My concerns were especially raised as the car seems to 'slip' revs when accelerating hard, hinting that the clutch may not be releasing properly. The car has been asleep for 8 months essentially, so it will need running in again I know, but I don't want to end up stranded.

When it came to ordering a new cable, I encountered problems. My car was registered on the 15th September 1988, as an MY89 car. Now this was a month of changeover, and I was left unsure as to what cable was right for my car, or whether one was available at all.

So, this is a very long winded way of saying,

Has anyone got the right clutch cable that they would be willing to sell to me?

Many thanks
Ben :D
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: Any chance of a clutch cable being available?

Post by Norm57 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:33 am

Hi Ben R3 is currently on a 2litre pedal box and clutch cable which leads to a really heavy and bent clutch pedal. After a long search for correct cable (1988) I bit the bullet and purchased the pedal box and cable of the recent Norfolk breaker. Not sure if the early 1.7 n/a cable is available you may have to go down the used route.