1992 480ES - no MOT since 2017. Thoughts?

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Rangi
480 Newbie

1992 480ES - no MOT since 2017. Thoughts?

Post by Rangi » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:57 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying my first 480 as I've had a bit of a soft spot for one for many years.

I've seen this advertised https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1410709

Let me know your thoughts? I've got limited experience working on vehicles - I've recently been restoring an old VW T25 but want to avoid welding where possible.

Spoken to the chap and seems to run well, nothing noticeably wrong other than Speedo. Only thing that concerns me is perhaps rust in the wheel arch on one of the photos and obviously not being driven or MOT'd for 4 years there will definitely be things needing work on.

Just want a bit of friendly advice where possible!
Thanks all,
James

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: 1992 480ES - no MOT since 2017. Thoughts?

Post by WillC9303 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:50 pm

Hi Rangi,

£650 is certainly quite cheap, even for a 480.
The wheel arch is a little concerning, as it isn't just the lower part where it meets the sill, but is also at the top. Who knows what horrors lay under there. If the arch is too far gone, you can get replacement wheel arch sections from Skandix for £250 I believe. The other side looks good though.

The other thing I noticed is that the rear lights are cracked at the top of them, and they are quite expensive to replace. They also look like they've been sealed up, which isn't a great sign either. They're not too bad though, and they could probably clean up quite nicely with a bit of T-cut and polish.

Apart from that it looks pretty good. The paint obviously needs doing in some places, but the headlining looks intact and the seats aren't ripped. Even has those cool auxiliary gauges fitted.

Looks like a good project to me at least, but there's more experienced people on this forum that I'm sure will find things I haven't. :D
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:43 pm

Well for a start 650 is exactly what I paid for mine in 2019, which didn't run but had solid bodywork. The speedo is going to be caused by one of two things, both of which are easily sorted, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. The paint is a bit tired, but the thing that concerns me the most is the rust, it looks like it could be hiding a nightmare. The rear lights do look saveable to my eyes if you play it right, there aren't any cracks along the middle so that's promising. There are more experienced people than me, but I am also not the world's greatest home mechanic, and unless you're good with a welder I would say that one could be trouble.

If you want to get into ownership there's always the Rescue cars....

I wish I could help more, but there isn't much to go on in the ad, but if it runs and drives, that is certainly something, arch repair panels are available, if that is all that is needed

And it has the mudflaps, so that's good

Either way, this is the best place to be with these cars, the friendliest place on the internet
Good luck
Ben :D
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:05 pm

Looking at the mot history, there have been advisories on corrosion of the subframe since 2010. I'm told that welding is acceptable on the straight parts but not on the curved sections, so I'd suggest getting that checked. It could just be some surface rust, but better to know than just hope.
The rear arch repair panels are available from Skandix in Germany. I have just bought an outer and an inner for £265 plus £80 Vat and import fees. Then of course there's the bodyshop bill.
A 1.7 with a catalytic converter won't have great performance, although I believe you can de- cat a 1992 if that's an issue for you.

Whatever you decide, you will be warmly welcome here. Hopefully you will join us at a meeting at some point in the future, once you have discovered the joy of driving wedge.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Rangi
480 Newbie

Post by Rangi » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:58 pm

Thanks for all your kind replies, really appreciate the help.

The rear arch is definitely the biggest concern for myself, and confirmed my suspicions suggesting there's potential to be hiding a lot worse, difficult to tell without properly viewing in person! When I bought my T25, a solid shell was the most important thing and have been learning and tinkering with everything else as I went, was thinking a similar vein here which also allows financing the costs over an extended period.

The owner says some rattling from the exhaust too but can't imagine it's a big deal. He's going to send me some more photos and a walk around video so hopefully get a better impression!

Regarding the engine - is the 1.7 severely lacking without the turbo? My thoughts at the moment is to have a look at the extra photos being sent over and if looks reasonable to pay a visit, if not keep on looking for the time being!

Cheers again, I really appreciate it.

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:46 am

There really isn’t much difference in power between the Turbos and NAs. Unless you remap them, Turbos only make 120hp. It looks like yours is a Catalysed 1.7, so will be the ‘slowest’ engine with 102hp. However, as Silvia said, you can decat it which should bring power back up to a slightly better 110hp (in line with the 2.0s) Being quite a torquey engine, it won’t feel like there is a lack of power what ever unit you choose.
William

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:54 am

Yeah the 1.7 catalysers are the only ones that really struggle with power - the stereotype that these cars are underpowered stems from them really. An early car with the 1.7 B18E engine and no cat is the ideal one when it comes to power, although the 2.0s from 1993 onwards are superb cruisers
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:30 pm

Step 1 :D

So here's my thoughts:

Are you looking at scratching an itch or thinking 480's are likely to be a long term love affair?

Things I can see....

OS driving lamp looks like it needs resealing, as it's sitting proud.
Both are probably in need and the reflector condition likely to be poor.
Arches; The OS one is gone, I'll wager the inner sill end will turn to flakes with nothing more than a firm prod. The NS one has already been done - Note the lack of stone guard. Looks to have filler bulging at the rear and lower sill end too. This too will need some investigation.
Rear lights look shot, OS one is definitely worse. Aerial looks bent out of shape too.
Speedo looks to have failed in 2013.

It's sort of rescue car material, but I'd decline it because of the arches (and price!). There's only so many favours I can pull!

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:41 pm

Rangi wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:57 pm
....but want to avoid welding where possible.
Hi James,

If you have a strong aversion to welding, then I think searching for a J-reg anything without an MoT is risky business.

Take a long flat bladed screwdriver, a crawler mat and prod the hell out of it. If he doesn't approve, just walk. Rear torque rod mounts, tool tray well, panhard beam, rear spring seats on the beam, rear inner wheel arches and front anti roll bar mounts. Basically, everything :rofl:
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

just_somebody
480 Newbie

Post by just_somebody » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:26 am

I seen this on Facebook Marketplace and it's only a few miles from me. I messaged the guy and he said the speedo an info centre don't work. I decided against though as I got enough trouble with the one I got already :rofl:

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:07 pm

I think speedo and info centre not working are the least of your worries with this car, it's a DIY job and can be farmed out at small cost if need be.
Rust in the wheel arches and more rust hiding in places you don't see is what you really should be worrying about. Rear bumper support is most likely gone and replacements are very hard to find. Lift the black strip on top of the windscreen, usually plenty of horrors under there. And the usual rust on the rear axle spring seats, though replacements are available. MOT advisories about subframe rust are also worrisome.

To get this car in good technical and optical condition with all work done by a professional, you'll be looking at £3000 minimum, better have 4000 at hand to replace all other things that need replacing (cambelt, stabiliser bars, maybe find another subframe). But... then your car will look absolutely smashing in beautiful Paris Blue metallic and prices for well looked-after 480's are appreciating, simply because there are so few left.

So like Jeff said, are you looking at scratching an itch or thinking 480's are likely to be a long term love affair?
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

Rangi
480 Newbie

Post by Rangi » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:29 pm

Hi all,

With your replies and from my knowledge, probably would have my work cut out with it, and should probably be looking for something in slightly better nick to get started with the 480 journey.

I have been sent this video (https://streamable.com/apcewv) from the owner now, which confirms some work on the nearside rear arch but not on the tailgate or offside.
Also seems like a lot of white coming out the exhaust, with no sign of letting out which is a bit of a concern too.

Still tempted to make the trek over and have a look in person but have a feeling that's just the wishfulness inside of me rather than the logic. Regarding the question that came up a couple times - I can't reasonably say I'm after the start of a long term love affair but I've definitely had a 480 itch for a couple years and I don't see it leaving just yet.

Will be on the look out for something and will keep my eyes pealed on the forum of anyone ends up listing one!

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:33 pm

the white could just be water vapour. It looks like the video was recorded on a frosty morning.
William

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:26 pm

from the amount of condensation on the inside and the water under the drivers mat, its got PLENTY of drying out to be done.