480 ES For Sale in Essex

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Rob88h
Started learning about 480

480 ES For Sale in Essex

Post by Rob88h » Sun May 09, 2021 9:32 pm

I know I've only been posting here for a couple of weeks, but (all going to plan) I'll soon be selling my 480 because next weekend it will have completed it's raison d'etre for being in my collection. More on that to come.
Multiple carmittments means that this one is going. It was a tough choice, I have a high turnover of cars and I've really bonded with this 480. I'll hang around if you'll still have me as my 440 is staying! (The 440 is an heirloom/underdog, having been owned by our family from new) and never say never to another 480 in my future.

There is a fair bit of info on the 480 I have for sale here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36443

I know I'm nowhere near break even on this car, but that was never the point for me.
With an MOT until late December and having recently had new rear arches welded in, I'm hoping for around £1250. Tell me if I'm being optimistic.
The car is in Basildon, South Essex.
I can give plenty more frank candid information on the car in time. My ideal buyer is from this great forum, so I wanted to get it up on here ahead of it being "ready" to give people the best chance of seeing it!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: 480 ES For Sale in Essex

Post by MisterH » Sun May 09, 2021 9:47 pm

Hey Rob sorry to see you are leaving Wedgeland so soon, especially after dragging you here from the beige forum.

however, as DC will testify for, 440s are more than welcome here!
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun May 09, 2021 9:56 pm

Sorry to hear your wedge is moving on. I doubt anyone on here will be surprised you bonded with it - everyone does, and everyone ends up with another one sooner or later.
Hope to see you at the Unexceptional, do come and chat if you spot a 480 owner or three 😉
£1250 isn't optimistic at all now the arches are done - good luck with the sale.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Rob88h

Post by Rob88h » Mon May 10, 2021 8:19 am

Thanks. What I really need is a Barn, an endless supply of money and an eternity! :rofl:

Like I say, if anyone here is interested, or knows anyone looking to get one, my preference is getting M_AAF matched up with a forum member. It's a good solid base (IMO) with plenty of hobby work still left in it for those sunny Sundays. That said I know you're overflowing with the pool cars and it's a balance, we can't keep all the 480's otherwise potential new members won't discover them.

P.S. I'm totally starting a thread on my 440 in the "other cars" section, so you're not losing me.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon May 10, 2021 8:57 am

Rob88h wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:19 am
Thanks. What I really need is a Barn, an endless supply of money and an eternity! :rofl:

Like I say, if anyone here is interested, or knows anyone looking to get one, my preference is getting M_AAF matched up with a forum member. It's a good solid base (IMO) with plenty of hobby work still left in it for those sunny Sundays. That said I know you're overflowing with the pool cars and it's a balance, we can't keep all the 480's otherwise potential new members won't discover them.

P.S. I'm totally starting a thread on my 440 in the "other cars" section, so you're not losing me.
You and me both.....

I'd deffo list out what needs doing as well as LOTS of pictures, that'd save you a lot of work!
The current trend for the R's is that they're going to existing members, and if it wasn't for having 5 personal project cars, as well as 4 cars in the R queue, I'd certainly be looking at this one - LOVE the colour!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon May 10, 2021 10:12 am

Sorry to hear you're leaving with respect to the 480, but I understand your reasoning. Also very pleased to see you aim to stick around with your 440 - suddenly being a 440 owner as well as a 480 owner on here doesn't feel so lonely! :lol:

Based on everything you've told us so far I think that's a very fair price for the car. Jeff's advice is spot on, as always.

Like you, and many on here, I too need a barn - I simply cannot fit in another car at the moment (4 currently means I have to continually rotate one with my mum's for storage, currently the 440) otherwise I might well be tempted; I love that green, which is of course the same as my GT.

Anyway, good luck with the sale - I hope someone on here looks to take it off your hands. And I look forward to discussing 440 ownership with you in due course!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Rob88h

Post by Rob88h » Tue May 18, 2021 10:30 am

Right, details… details….
I’ve finished my Lands End John O’Groats trip which was why I bought this car last August. I’ve had plenty of fun and ego points out of improving it – potentially securing its future for a good while longer. This post is all the bad parts, so bear with it, it’s not all doom and gloom. I hate selling cars, I don’t want people to be disappointed so I’m sharing everything I know about it that’s bad, bearing in mind I’ve only had it 9 months, about 3 of which it was in the (COVID closed) garage being welded! Also, I haven’t really gone looking for trouble – my heart rules my head in all my purchases – but if there is a specific area you want a photo of or something checking out, I’m happy to oblige.

Exterior
• All bumper corners are scuffed – some much worse than others, and the front o/s bumper corner is very dull or lacking lacquer.
• The chin splitter-front-spoiler-thing has a large section missing on the n/s corner and two cracks in the middle.
• The bonnet has chips (120,000 mile car, don’t be hatin’)
• The front o/s wheel arch is scratched, surface rusted but very solid.
• The front n/s sill just after the front wheel has underseal peelage, but is strong under the paint.
• The n/s bump strip is squashed at the end of the door.
• The rear lights and centre piece are fairly typical – not the worst I’ve seen, certainly not the best.
• Thanks to Mr. Carruthers, a 70mph “dash rattle” is likely to be the external trim under the wipers. It is loose-ish and the rattle goes away when the lights go up and the aerodynamics across the bonnet are changed, so I think it’s that.
• Pop-ups are slightly out of sync – o/s is on a replacement motor. Recently 100% success rate with going up and down, but earlier in the year the “new” one would rise very slowly occasionally.
• Two tyres could do with replacing

Interior
• Passenger seat headrest does not match the rest of the interior.
• Seats are in fair condition (see pics), but the driver’s seat definitely has a more comfortable base
• Door card trim inserts are loose
• Drivers door car has a screw in the base holding it in
• Sunroof cover headlining is peeling (hidden when shut)
• Water leak – carpet is pretty grim but may clean up. In the photo the extent of the leak can be seen near clutch pedal – after biblical rainstorm last night. Leak rate is vey variable. Sometimes nothing, occasionally loads. Things improved greatly after I cleaned under the bonnet, so things are maybe draining better?
• Random glue patch on the boot interior
• Crack in the o/s rear boot quarter panel trim
• Chip/crack in the corner of the dashboard consol. Also hidden fixings are cracked/missing, but there are enough that are ok to hold everything in place.
• Info Centre – sold as broken, but does come to life occasionally to give you Oil temp, external temp and average speed. The other functions don’t seem to calculate properly. Most annoying is fuel gauge – so I use the trip and fill up every 300 miles.
• Heated seats presumed not working
• Rear de-mister not working
• Rear wiper occasionally works, but mostly doesn’t, so is sold as not working
• Sunroof has never been checked if it works or not. I had one stuck open on an old W123 estate so now don’t touch the things just in case! That was a right pain in the arse.
• Passenger door bin is cracked and glued back together

Engine
• Cambelt is 10 years old (though only 20,000 miles). Personally if I was keeping I’d be planning a change.

Rob88h

Post by Rob88h » Tue May 18, 2021 10:30 am

The good points post:
After all the calamity above I did want to highlight some of the strengths in M_AAF:
• All new brake pads and discs 6 months or so ago. New n/s rear calliper.
• Rear arches and rear wheel wells replaced/repaired 6 months ago with Skandix panels and painted (that job alone cost as much as I’m asking for the car – so think about that in terms of value for money!)
• Repaired ODO with longer life gear
• Decent headlining
• New battery
• New exhaust 4000 miles ago
• New clutch 7000 miles ago
• MOT until 22nd Dec 2021
• Engine feels good IMO – torque steer at 4000rpm :)
• I’ve done 4000 miles in this beastie now – would trust it to take me anywhere, very enjoyable car, but you all know that :rofl:

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue May 18, 2021 10:53 am

So for any potential buyers (or even for Rob), here's some of my thoughts:
Rob88h wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:30 am
• Seats are in fair condition (see pics), but the driver’s seat definitely has a more comfortable base
• Door card trim inserts are loose
• Drivers door car has a screw in the base holding it in
Nothing a little Gliptone isn't going to sort out. Door card trim clips Have been covered and the additional drill the door trick would make the panels super tight.
Rob88h wrote:
• Water leak – carpet is pretty grim but may clean up. In the photo the extent of the leak can be seen near clutch pedal – after biblical rainstorm last night. Leak rate is vey variable. Sometimes nothing, occasionally loads. Things improved greatly after I cleaned under the bonnet, so things are maybe draining better?
Check the drains in the scuttle - that's the usual suspect.
Rob88h wrote:
• Chip/crack in the corner of the dashboard consol. Also hidden fixings are cracked/missing, but there are enough that are ok to hold everything in place.
• Info Centre – sold as broken, but does come to life occasionally to give you Oil temp, external temp and average speed. The other functions don’t seem to calculate properly. Most annoying is fuel gauge – so I use the trip and fill up every 300 miles.
These should probably be considered an initiation ceremony for new 480 owners.... Both fixable with time and patience.
Rob88h wrote:
• Heated seats presumed not working
• Rear de-mister not working
• Rear wiper occasionally works, but mostly doesn’t, so is sold as not working
• Sunroof has never been checked if it works or not. I had one stuck open on an old W123 estate so now don’t touch the things just in case! That was a right pain in the arse.
• Passenger door bin is cracked and glued back together
Engine
• Cambelt is 10 years old (though only 20,000 miles). Personally if I was keeping I’d be planning a change.
wiper and demister will be linked to the horrible wiring job you discovered. Very common.
Sunroof? Man up! :rofl: They're a slow thing to operate but keep those motors lubed and moving; Plus you get to show off the "close the sunroof from the key" trick.

Cambelt is another simple and straightforward job;

Overall, looks a great example to get into 480 ownership with; The terrifying part (rear arches) has been done.

Rob88h

Post by Rob88h » Tue May 18, 2021 12:51 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:53 am
Overall, looks a great example to get into 480 ownership with; The terrifying part (rear arches) has been done.
Thanks Jifflemon! I appreciate your thoughts on this one.
I've flip-flopped about even selling it in my head numerous times already

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue May 18, 2021 4:35 pm

I think that's a very fair and honest rundown on the car, which I would like to think will easily help it find a loving new home.

Honestly, nothing you've said would deter me; it's a good looking 480. Now, if I didn't have 2 480s already, plus the 440 and a V60, and not enough room here to store three cars as it is, let alone 4 ...or 5....... ;)

Good luck with the sale! Even better luck with having a change of heart before it even gets that far!!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Tue May 18, 2021 6:45 pm

Of course, Rob, you already know that in your heart of hearts, once you sell, you'll just spend the next 12 months agonising about jumping back in...and then we'll be reading about you in one of the R cars anyway!

I should know, seeing as I'm on number seven in 15 years...

The way it goes...:dispute: :lol: :cryhard: :bla: :D :hopping:
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

Rob88h

Post by Rob88h » Wed May 19, 2021 7:50 am

Martin Mc wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:45 pm
Of course, Rob, you already know that in your heart of hearts, once you sell, you'll just spend the next 12 months agonising about jumping back in...and then we'll be reading about you in one of the R cars anyway!

I've got 6 cars on the go at the minute - including a restoration on a '83 Mini (spiritual 1st car, but a bit of a cliche) and a recommissioning of a Mk1 Granada (my long term dream car that I bought this year in a fit of "now or never"!). Also in theory I'm rebuilding a Mk1 MX-5, one I really need to get on with and get rid of. Then there's the stalwart 440 I inherited from the Nan to keep on top of.
I'm a car enthusiast, with a strong relationship with Volvo having had seven, who is also a keen mountain biker and I think the 480 may in fact be the perfect "do it all" car for me. Looks ace, drives nice, pretty exclusive, fits the bike in and is more than capable in modern motoring.
This means my long term plan currently does include a 480... A logical person would say, why not keep M_AAF, having spent nearly £3k on it in the last 9 months, but for the next year I'd barely be driving it - so I'd rather someone else enjoys it and I'll be back to a 480 when I've managed to sort out my car life to something more manageable :roll:

I love the R car idea by the way. 5 cars works at my property, so if I ever get below 5 (ha!) I'm well up for taking on other 480 rescues for the team.

Rob88h

Post by Rob88h » Wed May 19, 2021 7:51 am

dcwalker wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:35 pm
Honestly, nothing you've said would deter me; it's a good looking 480. Now, if I didn't have 2 480s already, plus the 440 and a V60, and not enough room here to store three cars as it is, let alone 4 ...or 5....... ;)
The struggle is real :lol:

Martin63
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Martin63 » Wed May 19, 2021 9:22 am

Rob88h wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:50 am
Martin Mc wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:45 pm

I've got 6 cars on the go at the minute - including a restoration on a '83 Mini (spiritual 1st car, but a bit of a cliche) and a recommissioning of a Mk1 Granada (my long term dream car that I bought this year in a fit of "now or never"!). Also in theory I'm rebuilding a Mk1 MX-5, one I really need to get on with and get rid of. Then there's the stalwart 440 I inherited from the Nan to keep on top of.
I'm a car enthusiast, with a strong relationship with Volvo having had seven, who is also a keen mountain biker and I think the 480 may in fact be the perfect "do it all" car for me. Looks ace, drives nice, pretty exclusive, fits the bike in and is more than capable in modern motoring.
This means my long term plan currently does include a 480... A logical person would say, why not keep M_AAF, having spent nearly £3k on it in the last 9 months, but for the next year I'd barely be driving it - so I'd rather someone else enjoys it and I'll be back to a 480 when I've managed to sort out my car life to something more manageable :roll:

I love the R car idea by the way. 5 cars works at my property, so if I ever get below 5 (ha!) I'm well up for taking on other 480 rescues for the team.

Glad to hear that the bike fits in the back of a 480. That thought/question went through my mind just this morning! :D
480 ES - M696 UFC - January 1995
480 GT - M586 TMF - August 1994

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed May 19, 2021 2:24 pm

Rob88h wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:50 am

All of this is excellent news - I'd swerve on the mini though - Makes a 480 look like it's been built from galvanised metal! Although you're fortunate enough to be able to get panels.

6 cars? Luxury! I've 6 on the go before we get started on the R cars....

And when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.' :rofl: :rofl:

Rob88h

Post by Rob88h » Wed May 19, 2021 4:22 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:24 pm
And when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.' :rofl: :rofl:
I keep all mine under a tarpaulin in an 'ole int middle of road, and pay t' mill owner for the privilege :D

Rob88h

Post by Rob88h » Fri May 21, 2021 9:32 am

Ok, this is up on the Beige Forum and on eBay (looking forward to seeing what messers I get there...). The price goes up the further away from "480 enthusiast" you get :roll:

https://autoshite.com/topic/45311-for-s ... C2%A31350/
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254986930782

Needless to say, I'll be pushing the next owner to keep active with it in the forum. I'm sure you'd welcome the next lucky owner, while I sit in the 440 corner preparing to pounce again on an R-car or maybe even another eBay wreck.

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Fri May 21, 2021 6:33 pm

Rob88h wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:32 am
Ok, this is up on the Beige Forum and on eBay (looking forward to seeing what messers I get there...). The price goes up the further away from "480 enthusiast" you get :roll:

https://autoshite.com/topic/45311-for-s ... C2%A31350/
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254986930782

Needless to say, I'll be pushing the next owner to keep active with it in the forum. I'm sure you'd welcome the next lucky owner, while I sit in the 440 corner preparing to pounce again on an R-car or maybe even another eBay wreck.
Any interest yet Rob?

Rob88h

Post by Rob88h » Fri May 21, 2021 8:00 pm

Norm57 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 6:33 pm
Any interest yet Rob?
One from each site so far, but it’s not been 24hours yet so let’s see. I need the Sunday browsers to see it me thinks.