B18FT engine (attached to a renault)

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

B18FT engine (attached to a renault)

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:18 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-5-GT ... SwzEdgALlV

Just thought I'd share this, seems I have come across an expatriate B18FT in an R5. Not sure if I like the car itself, strange mix of period correctness and modded, has me confused (granted I am not a massive R5 fan, they don't do much for me)
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Re: B18FT engine (attached to a renault)

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:33 pm

Don't put his head on a stake just yet... i'm not convinced a 480 died for that.

There is no Volvo-ness that I can see in the engine bay. The turbo sits over the gearbox from what I can see. Also looks like a blown-thru carb.

Says the engine was scratch built - I know things can be over bored but the cc is wrong for the B18FT. I don't think you'd want to overbore from factory when running 180 bhp. I'd want as much factory metal in that block as possible!

Says he had to add the piston oil jets, we have these as standard.

Another clue is the oil feed line for the turbo goes to the front of the block - most probably tapped off a T from the oil pressure switch. A B18FT has a dedicated oil supply and drain port at the back of the block.

Any engine from any Renault block 1.7 or 1.8 can be turbocharged retrospectively if you have the courage!

I say the jury is out on this one.

Like you say, strange mix of modified to death, yet standard down to the radio!
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:36 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:33 pm
Don't put his head on a stake just yet... i'm not convinced a 480 died for that.

There is no Volvo-ness that I can see in the engine bay. The turbo sits over the gearbox from what I can see. Also looks like a blown-thru carb.

Says the engine was scratch built - I know things can be over bored but the cc is wrong for the B18FT. I don't think you'd want to overbore from factory when running 180 bhp. I'd want as much factory metal in that block as possible!

Says he had to add the piston oil jets, we have these as standard.

Another clue is the oil feed line for the turbo goes to the front of the block - most probably tapped off a T from the oil pressure switch. A B18FT has a dedicated oil supply and drain port at the back of the block.

Any engine from any Renault block 1.7 or 1.8 can be turbocharged retrospectively if you have the courage!

I say the jury is out on this one.

Like you say, strange mix of modified to death, yet standard down to the radio!
Oh don't worry, while I am fervently against engine breaking, I always find I can never bring myself to hate people. Indeed, that car is definitely odd, can't expect someone to take calls on the car-phone when going around thruxton or somewhere else :rofl:

I don't know much about the turbo engine and how to tell them apart, what are the main signs?
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 pm

18 previous owners ? Sounds very unloved :lol: I know we all like different things but have no idea what people see in these ugly little boxes.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:09 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 pm
18 previous owners ? Sounds very unloved :lol: I know we all like different things but have no idea what people see in these ugly little boxes.
I do like the original R5, especially the Gordini, however I agree that by the 2nd gen it looks a bit dumpy
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:23 pm

MisterH wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:09 pm
dragonflyjewels wrote:
I do like the original R5, especially the Gordini, however I agree that by the 2nd gen it looks a bit dumpy
I'm afraid I'm with Sylvia on this one Ben. Still, as my Mum always told me as I was growing up, if we all liked the same thing it would be a very boring world!!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:29 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:23 pm
MisterH wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:09 pm
dragonflyjewels wrote:
I'm afraid I'm with Sylvia on this one Ben. Still, as my Mum always told me as I was growing up, if we all liked the same thing it would be a very boring world!!

David
Haha yes, I mean we are 480 enthusiasts so I suppose we are all equally guilty. Apparently when my car had its first new MOT and service, our friend who runs the garage said most people's comment was how ugly it was :eek:

But the paint shop guys liked it :)
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:45 pm

Apparently when my car had its first new MOT and service, our friend who runs the garage said most people's comment was how ugly it was :eek:
:lol: That's because it has a shape! Love it or hate it, rather than ignore it cos it's boring.

When we went to collect Eva from the blasting company after having her wheels re-furbed there was something expensive on the ramp awaiting the same treatment. It was the generic jelly mould from a windtunnel shape so I couldn't be bothered to look and see what it was. According to the guy who works there, the owner had walked around and around Eva, saying things like what a fabulous shape, I REALLY like that etc. Never mind that Eva was probably worth less than his wheels :lol: :lol: I often wonder if he'll end up joining us.....
Sylvia

hubby has

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:53 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:45 pm
Apparently when my car had its first new MOT and service, our friend who runs the garage said most people's comment was how ugly it was :eek:
:lol: That's because it has a shape! Love it or hate it, rather than ignore it cos it's boring.

When we went to collect Eva from the blasting company after having her wheels re-furbed there was something expensive on the ramp awaiting the same treatment. It was the generic jelly mould from a windtunnel shape so I couldn't be bothered to look and see what it was. According to the guy who works there, the owner had walked around and around Eva, saying things like what a fabulous shape, I REALLY like that etc. Never mind that Eva was probably worth less than his wheels :lol: :lol: I often wonder if he'll end up joining us.....
I love this! It's always the case that if we were to park our 1943 Jeep or the quattro next to a modern supercar, our cars would probably get more attention.

I do like the early Jelly mild cars, such as the B3 Audis, Mk1 Sierra etc, but I do agree that blobby cars don't do it for me, in most cases. Although I am getting more and more fond of 00s car design, in comparison to today, it is very refreshing and clean, although things like the Renault Avantime have always been amazing.
Wedges and other cars from their era will always be kings though, an Isuzu Piazza is my car goal for this year...
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:21 am

Cars have become increasingly similar in shape, because a car that looks familiar sells in numbers.

It's like popular music that only consists of four chords, it has to sound familiar to sell. Cheap econoboxes and FWD SUV's (which only see asphalt) are just like such pop music, where the singer even can't sing. Autotune will take care of that.

A 480 is experimental jazz.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:06 am

brinkie wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:21 am
Cars have become increasingly similar in shape, because a car that looks familiar sells in numbers.

It's like popular music that only consists of four chords, it has to sound familiar to sell. Cheap econoboxes and FWD SUV's (which only see asphalt) are just like such pop music, where the singer even can't sing. Autotune will take care of that.

A 480 is experimental jazz.
I was thinking more along the lines of 1980s New Romantic but I get your point :rofl:

Modern cars now have to look so agressive now, there aren't many pleasing shapes about, granted there are a few that are nice, like I am fond of the Pug 508
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:58 am

MisterH wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:06 am
Modern cars now have to look so agressive now, there aren't many pleasing shapes about, granted there are a few that are nice, like I am fond of the Pug 508
The 508 is definitely my favourite too! I am a sucker for French cars as I've been raised with Renaults and Citroëns and I have driven many Peugeots and a Talbot, but my wife has been raised with Saabs and Mitsubishis and has driven many Volvos. The 480 has French running gear so we're both happy. :D
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:13 am

MisterH wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:53 pm
an Isuzu Piazza is my car goal for this year...
:shock:

I think there's about 10 left in the UK.....

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:40 pm

Do we gather you like wedges ? :lol: :lol:
Sylvia

hubby has

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:53 pm

For my sins I passed my driving test at the birth of Max Power magazine. I was more an Astra GTE man, primarily for the glorious 20XE, but many of us had phase 2 R5 GTTs. We drove them like we stole them and fitting a new turbo was as routine as plugs and leads :rofl:

Dump valves and winding up the wastegate used to kill them, but we were young.

Happy days.

I do have a soft spot for them, love the shape. I have a good friend who has two. An original 'cup car' in full period livery he uses for track days, and a concours GTT in white. When the 480 is done, can't wait to visit and take a photo of his factory standard 5 GTT next to the 480 as two survivors of the historical cannibalisation that went on between the two!

Love the Piazza too. Walking to school way back, 1990, there used to be a Black turbo with a Lotus badge on the back. Used to think it was cool then and still do. Kind of has semi-pop up lights which again = cool.

Like Jeff says - try finding one. Probably the best bet is a fresh Japanese import.

Just going back to the original post and that this may not be a B18FT and perhaps another Renault engine turbocharged - it is crossing my mind what will happen in the long term for B18FT longevity. Many parts are unique and difficult to obtain. Worse case scenario I drop a valve, or score a bore... what to do!?!

The solution HAS to be turbo as it is what the car is, so perhaps turbocharging another 1.7/1.8 8v Renault engine will be the way to go in 10, 15 years time....?

Food for thought, but something I won't have to address for a long long time me hopes.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:56 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:40 pm
Do we gather you like wedges ? :lol: :lol:
jifflemon wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:13 am
MisterH wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:53 pm
an Isuzu Piazza is my car goal for this year...
:shock:

I think there's about 10 left in the UK.....
How would you have guessed ;)

Yes the Piazza seems to be around the 15-25 mark in terms of survivors, and it would have to be a manual which (surprise surprise) were often broken for their LSDs ensuring that they are very thin on the ground. But I do have contact with the Owners Club so I feel things are looking up, insurance wise though we will have to see. To be honest there are so many cars that take my fancy, but quirky 1980s UK market cars always do something for me, hence why nearly the entire Colt range from '78-87 seems to have found its way into my saved searches. Even when I was a nipper and into Hot Wheels cars, I always coveted the quirky and rare models from the 70s and 80s, a bit of a theme has developed methinks... :P
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:08 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:53 pm
For my sins I passed my driving test at the birth of Max Power magazine. I was more an Astra GTE man, primarily for the glorious 20XE, but many of us had phase 2 R5 GTTs. We drove them like we stole them and fitting a new turbo was as routine as plugs and leads :rofl:

Dump valves and winding up the wastegate used to kill them, but we were young.

Happy days.

I do have a soft spot for them, love the shape. I have a good friend who has two. An original 'cup car' in full period livery he uses for track days, and a concours GTT in white. When the 480 is done, can't wait to visit and take a photo of his factory standard 5 GTT next to the 480 as two survivors of the historical cannibalisation that went on between the two!

Love the Piazza too. Walking to school way back, 1990, there used to be a Black turbo with a Lotus badge on the back. Used to think it was cool then and still do. Kind of has semi-pop up lights which again = cool.

Like Jeff says - try finding one. Probably the best bet is a fresh Japanese import.

Just going back to the original post and that this may not be a B18FT and perhaps another Renault engine turbocharged - it is crossing my mind what will happen in the long term for B18FT longevity. Many parts are unique and difficult to obtain. Worse case scenario I drop a valve, or score a bore... what to do!?!

The solution HAS to be turbo as it is what the car is, so perhaps turbocharging another 1.7/1.8 8v Renault engine will be the way to go in 10, 15 years time....?

Food for thought, but something I won't have to address for a long long time me hopes.
Love hearing these stories, easy to forget these cars had identities after the 1980s when they were new, and in some cases, became iconic after their time.

So are you suggesting a cottage industry that creates as many new engines as possible, from the parts available, to extend survivability? I trust my B18E to keep going into the 2080s if looked after as it is quite a simple engine, but with the turbo I can absolutely see that parts supply will be a real issue. I know Toyota are bringing back entire back-catalogues and PSA are doing similar for parts support, somehow I can't see Volvo doing that, they don't seem to be much into heritage.

However enough people care so I am sure a solution will be found
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks