Tasty?

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Tasty?

Post by MisterH » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:46 pm

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... =undefined

Seems alright, seems to be in a risky place tho...
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Helmert3
Started learning about 480

Re: Tasty?

Post by Helmert3 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:16 pm

I've been in contact with the seller. But I dont think he has much interest in straight up selling the car, as most likely wants to swap (Lilke the listing says)

Would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on that car aswell, as I do quite like the look of it.

How is a 1.7ES Automatic? Any opinions. On this one or in general?

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:34 pm

3 photo's, no idea what he's actually got ("good spec electric pack and heated seats" )

I suspect he's inherited from a deceased relative and wants an XR2 in swapz....

Needs a set of rear lights and a drivers door cap as a starting point.

Helmert3

Post by Helmert3 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:53 pm

I'll post over the pictures I got sent. As I did quite like the look of this car, albeit it does need a bit of a tidy up, Apparently all working electrically, and mechanically. Just doesnt see much use other than to be stuck on trade plates and trundle too and from the shops.

The headlight apparently doesnt quite rest down at the bottom since the lights were left up for a week. Not too sure how common the lights not sitting flush is, but im sure one of you guys would know.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:29 am

Little bit just starting in the arch, rear lights want sorting (both cracked) and the drivers mirror cap missing.

Certainly worth saving, is the seller insisting on swaps only or has he come up with a price yet? Want me to low ball him an offer? :lol:

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:41 am

Definitely worth saving that one. Obviously there is a limit to what photos can show but on what we can see nothing looks particularly bad.

Rust just starting on arches should be able to be caught in time. Rear lights are so-so but I've seen a lot worse and can be worked on.

Headlamps often don't sit aligned properly but can be adjusted with a bit of fiddly effort, so no worry there.

Personally, were I in the market, I'd consider it seriously if the seller actually wants to sell. If he insists on a swap only he is seriously limiting his market.

Hope that helps a bit more,

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Helmert3

Post by Helmert3 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:01 pm

I've sent another message asking what the situation is with the Volvo 480, as its been a while since i heard back from the seller.

How is the 1.7 Automatic? Anything I should be aware of about it?

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Being a G reg it's probably got a cat, but it's early enough to have it de-catted if you want to. An auto reduces the power so with a cat as well you won't find it very sprightly.

Bodywork looks very presentable from the photos, but do check behind the wheel arches and under the sills carefully if he agrees to sell it.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:10 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:09 pm
Being a G reg it's probably got a cat, but it's early enough to have it de-catted if you want to. An auto reduces the power so with a cat as well you won't find it very sprightly.

Bodywork looks very presentable from the photos, but do check behind the wheel arches and under the sills carefully if he agrees to sell it.
I think this one dates from when the cat was an option. When they started fitting them as standard the cars got lambda sond badges on the side pillars and the word "catalyser" on the back. Those badges aren't on this car so you might be ok on that front...

Can't help you with how it drives, having never driven an auto 480 but, especially if it does have a cat, then I suspect it won't set the world on fire. It all depends on what you're used to and what you want.

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Helmert3

Post by Helmert3 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:01 pm

I was sent some more images of the car, no other information. Just some photos out of the blue. Given the TT from the other thread seems to need quite a bit of work, I might keep my eyes on both the TT and this 1.7 ES Auto for now. Still here are the photos:

It does look a but scuffed in places.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:13 pm

Any more news or thoughts Helmert?

I appreciate your dilemma - on the one hand the TT is newer, has the potential to look smarter with it's deeper colour and body colour bumpers, and has the 2.0i engine in combination with a manual gearbox, which will doubtless make it more sprightly than this 1.7 auto.

On the other hand, the TT needs a lot doing to it before it stands even a chance of getting an MOT, and that's just what we know about it at this stage. This one has a new MOT and none of the advisories are either surprising or particularly worrying - treat and paint the sub-frame, sort out the suspension bits, and do some restoration work to the rear lights and you're sorted.

All depends on the willingness to sell, the reasonableness of the selling price, and how much of a project you wish to take on as against a car you can drive and enjoy immediately. Both - like any old car you buy - have the inherent risk of other faults you have yet to find, but hey, that's part of the joy as long as they're not totally crippling to car or wallet :lol:

Based on what we appear to know at the moment, and on the understanding that you are keen to get into the undoubted joys of 480 ownership, I know which way I would be trying to go...

David

Helmert3

Post by Helmert3 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Well I did find out some more about the 1.7 Auto. They're in no rush to sell the car, and are looking for £1750 or a very near offer, the price seems a little steep for me, as looking through what's been sold before on eBay that is beginning to look like nicer car territory.

The 2.0 TT really does look like an awesome car, the larger 2.0 Engine, and Manual really do look like the ideal pairing, but the lack of an MOT for 5 years is concerning. I don't mind a bit of a running project, things like the light motor don't bother me too much as that's a job that eventually I could get around to doing. Same with general servicing, and other jobs like that.

Experience wiseI have dabbled in some mechanics a fair bit, EGRs on an Astra G 2.0 and Astra H 1.3CDTI. General upkeep and maintenance like brakes, and just other odd jobs that crop up like column stalks, Coil Packs, ECUs etc.... When we start going into things like Cambelts I usually just drop it off at the local garage (but would be more than willing to learn more ofcourse)

I'm really conflicted between either waiting for something running and driving that I don't mind doing a few odd jobs with to get to where I want it. Or enquiring more about the TT in the other thread. The price has dropped, and I'd imagine there might be some more leeway on it. But it seems like quite a risk for someone who is a novice at best, just wondering what everyone else here think about this kind of situation.

More than willing to get stuck in and do some work. But would rather have something that is road legal to work on first of all.