A Sorry Looking Celebration (Given a Lifeline as R2!)

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: A Sorry Looking Celebration (Given a Lifeline!)

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:51 pm

jeez thats a load of work, :shock:

BTW I see you copied my inlet manifold tarting up . . .. . :wink:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:07 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:51 pm

Honestly never seen yours! But greats minds.... :lol:

I took inspiration from Jay Kay Em's thread; It just seems like the sort of thing that was always planned but the penny pinchers said no! I mean, why else cast it into the manifold?

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: A Sorry Looking Celebration (Given a Lifeline as R2!)

Post by jifflemon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:17 pm

Thankfully it was around this time that DC Walker came aboard as the future owner of pud - probably in the Nick of time as I was getting quick attached to pud! I mean who wouldn't want a driveway like this?

This meant, however, that focus could shift ever so slightly, and instead of me making Pud as near to 100% as possible, I'd instead get it through a MOT, then give David a list of stuff that still needs fixing/investigating further.

Now we had a car I could feel confident in starting and running (well, after I'd borrowed the battery from R1!), it was time to do the MOT stuff..... well, sort of.

The damage to the drivers door looked to have been caused by a forced entry - Prying the frame from the top (hence the creases) which had shattered the door glass. This was evident not only by a different reg number on the glass, but by the rattling of broken glass ever time you closed the door!

I'm a big believer that MOT stuff is 70% actual book stuff, and 30% looks. Present a shed, you'll get annoyed tester who'll look for things to fail. Give them something that looks like it's been cared for, and they tend to be more sympathetic. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting them to turn a blind eye to anything, but you may find things like "your headlamp aims were out, so we adjusted them for you".

Anyhoo..... Door panel off.

and I don't know what I find more appalling. The stupid amounts of glue, or the complete lack of vapour barrier.

yes... It's the lack of vapour barrier!

If you're wondering what I'm on about, all those holes in the doors should have plastic sheeting covering them. When it rains, water IS going to pass the door seals (particularly when, like ours, they're a bit buggered). Now that water will drip inside the doors, eventually collecting in the bottom and draining out of the front or rear drain holes.
The purpose of the vapour barrier is two fold. It'll stop any water that gets on the inner panel of the door from hitting the back of the door card and thus potentially finding it's way inside the vehicle, but it'll also stop the damp air from soaking in the hardboard backing of the door card and rotting it.

however, first things first...

Glass out!

then temporary vapour barrier - It really is as simple as that!

A very interesting disocvery was made - the very last of the 480's changed how the door panels were mounted. Instead of the stupid "wedge the door panel in it" clips at the bottom - you know? The ones that ALWAYS break? - Volvo adopted "normal" door clips, that go into these fancy things..

A close up of one.

Hopefully something that our 3D printing gods can reproduce and save us all from rattly trim!

I'd also recieved many care packages from members (very gratefully recieved!) which meant I could replace the dead washer pumps, as well as re-pipe the front washers. I can only presume whatever nibbled the alternator belt found the washer pipe far tastier!

Of course, access to the washer jets, particularly the drivers one, is limited at best, so its easiest with the wiper off. So first it's cowel out

Which obviously meant more cleaning....

before nice new piping went in.

I even splashed out on a non-return T-peice from eBay

which didn't exactly go as planned....

That got swapped for a a standard one! :rofl:

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:42 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:07 pm
Alan 480 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:51 pm

Honestly never seen yours! But greats minds.... :lol:

I took inspiration from Jay Kay Em's thread; It just seems like the sort of thing that was always planned but the penny pinchers said no! I mean, why else cast it into the manifold?
yep that was what I thought as well. :wink: I did take photos but never got around to posting them

or the ones on how to lift front / rear of car with A frame & hoist vs a jack :-) when need better access to under-side, and no room to drive up ramp in garage!

actually on the wine een it is the silver on black and the red one is black paint on raised sections.

I actually prefer the 'old style' bottom door clips as can be seen easier to allow removal of card and as the 'new style' seem to not be suitable for door card removal, ie they stay fixed to door and peel away from the pressed fibre board.... getting re-attached needs some suitable adhesive!

in both cases a discrete self tapper at bottom corner seems appropriate (if a black one with integral washer is used :-) )
Alan

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:00 pm

It was apparent we'd need some tyres for the MOT - 9 year old tyres do not tend to fair too well....

Plenty of tread of course, but not the sort of thing I'd be comfortable with. So the solution was obvious.

:rofl:

No, that was just to give Pud something to sit on, whilst we did this:

Some nice Michelin Pilot sport 3's in a 195/50/15 size. They're one size up from the original 185/55/15, but much cheaper as they're a far more popular size. They're also correctly fitted with the inside and outside labels the right way....

Now obviously, whilst the wheels are off.....

Oh come on! You know what I'm like! It's not like I'm obsessed with cleaning stuff!

oh....

wait......

OK.... so they're may have been some more cleaning going on....

Anyway, I'd also recieved a bag of 3d printed headlamp hinges from my brother,

Which together with new adjuster plastics from my little shop of horrors, and a spare motor from my stock, meant we could finally get the headlamps doing a cleaning cycle - Or as Sylvia aptly called it, the Brinkie Winkie dance.

Click to watch

Also in the car packages were new DRL/indicator units, which were give a light polishing, before the bulb holders were given a clean up and fresh o rings.

Which along with some cleaning up of the rear units...

mean that we now had working lights, rather than the bulbs trying to earth through each other...

Except we didn't have light to the infocentre.... Which worried me. Because whilst the engine runs wonderfully, I've NO idea what temperature it's at. I also don't know if the radiator fan works, and I'm not one for playing chicken!

So....

leads to...

and yes, the radiator fan does work!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:19 pm

That black highlight looks amazing, should they all have that?
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:41 pm

The news we've all been waiting for - Pud is now fully road legal and off to the Pamper Parlour tomorrow. The bodywork may still leave quite a lot to be desired, but the overall transformation is great - a huge thank you to Jeff and all the members who gave precious spares from their own stock.

dc will be carrying on the good work and hopefully we'll be able to see the end result at a meeting next year (or the year after....)

Now for R1 and R3
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:45 pm

That is excellent news Sylvia, well done to you and Jeff for getting Pud to this stage.

I am excited to see where Dc takes the car next! :hopping:
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:56 pm

MisterH wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:45 pm
That is excellent news Sylvia, well done to you and Jeff for getting Pud to this stage.

I am excited to see where Dc takes the car next! :hopping:
Quite literally, to North Yorkshire for starters - tomorrow ;)

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:02 am

Missed this one...
jifflemon wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:00 pm
Which together with new adjuster plastics from my little shop of horrors, and a spare motor from my stock, meant we could finally get the headlamps doing a cleaning cycle - Or as Sylvia aptly called it, the Brinkie Winkie dance.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
leads to...

Is this just how the photo was taken, or has the LCD filter been reversed?
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:21 am

Poor photo, in bad light!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:18 pm

After quite a long day Pud (R2) has just arrived at the Pamper Parlour :hopping:

Too dark now for any photos - so far all she's done is met Bridget the C70 for the drive back up the M1, and perhaps noticed Wilhelmina the 440 sitting next to her where she is now parked. Mind you, Pud currently suffers Cyclops syndrome once more (ie, only one pop-up working) so she might not have as broad peripheral vision as she should have.

Anyway, the drive home was uneventful, and given it is the first time in many years that Pud has been asked to travel mile after mile at 70 (plus-ish) mph for sustained periods, I think she did very well. I did, of course, break her back in gently ;) .

There is plenty yet to tackle, partly because we (Jeff Sylvia and I) decided that Jeff would focus only as far as getting Pud road legal and I would then go on from there. However, I do not want to detract in any way from what Jeff has achieved - truly miracles have been worked and the car he passed me today is in fine fettle as an ongoing project. Thank you once again Jeff!! :D

To avoid things getting confusing with the various rescue cars that are also touched on in this thread, my plan is to start a new thread for part 2 of Pud's great revival. She may now be in my care but she was a club rescue project and it's only right that I keep you all posted on her progress - so watch this space!

Oh yes - must just add that I have to express my delight at finally owning a storm-grey 480 (especially given it was the rarest of the Celebration colours, and I have had 3 red Celebrations). I shall no longer suffer "storm-grey envy" every time I see Rachel or Nigel's cars! :lol:

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:53 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:17 pm

This photo cracks me up! :lol:

One 480 resto is enough in my life, let alone FOUR! :rofl:

You are a true bastion of the marque!
jifflemon wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:00 pm

Mmmmmm I love stripey carpets 8)

Many happy miles David, good to hear she has an official custodian now!
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:02 am

So,

As we know, PUD's been collected. So, we sailed through the MOT?

well, sort of....

the exhaust was passed it's best, and no amount of sealer was going to fill the holes, so a temporary fix (slice out the rotten boxes, insert pipe) was done.

(yes, the darks nights were setting in by this point!)

So, all ready! Insurance got sorted - Agreed value, which needs photos... so here they are:

And the insurance sorted, MOT was booked, and off we set. The brakes felt a little poor, but I figured I've cleaned and greased the sliders, so it's probably got 9 years of standing rust to clean off right?

Well, arriving at the MOT station with smoke coming off the fronts meant this wasn't going to end well!

Actually, not too bad for something that hasn't moved in 9 years! Kicking myself over the horn - Completely forgot to check it! The tester advised he thought it may just be disconnected as he could see the wires dangling down through the undertray.

So, front discs, pads and calipers were the order of the day.....

Only, no-where had refurbed calipers available off the shelf. So plan B was formed.... Rebuild time.

That's what we started with.... and it got worse on the passenger side..

Yes, there should be a bleed nipple there..... :shock:

However, first they were attacked with a spinning wheel of death; This obviously meant I spent the next 3 days pulling random bits of wire out of both myself and the clothing I was wearing...

I always wear safety stuff; This is what happens when the spinny wheel of death hits a safety glove...

Through the glove and the top layer of skin.... :cryhard: thank heavens for the glove taking the worst of it!

Next the new owner was consultanted on his choice of finish for the calipers. Thankfully, his choice was the same as mine and Mr Henry Fords - "any colour you like as long as it's black"

And so....

Yes, thats not black - Yet - That's Vactan, a rust killer. Which after killing the rust goes like this

So then we coat it liberally in red oxide primer. The old piston and seals make for handy masking!

Then finally a coat of high temp black paint, along with new seals and piston.

Repeated again on the other side after carefully drilling out the remains of the bleed nipple and we're onto fitting up..

The horn proved to be an interesting one. Was expecting to simply plug it back in, but on removing the undertray, I discovered the reason for a lack of horn, was in fact, a complete lack of horn. Both were just missing! I planned to borrow both from R1, but discovered why the youtube stars were struggling with getting it working...

There should be two terminals! So pud got one horn!

Also decided that we need a clean MOT sheet, so this happened....

All fitted on the driveway, at night, with the retest booked for the following day.... Fun times!

However, Pud sailed through with a clean sheet.

The 17 miles I drove her were nice - My first time in a 2 litre. I can see how they'd make an excellent daily driver; Modern enough to be reliable, comfortable enough to be a daily (once the aircon is fixed of course!). Its a little odd to open the door and see a space on the driveway... but I know I've got R1 and soon, R3 to be getting on with!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:02 pm

Well done on all the effort and hard work you put in for PUD to keep going.

It's always the simple things forgotten. I'd do that! Call out the engineer for a broken laser machine. Engineer drives 2.5 hours from Manchester. Depresseses the emergency stop button..... :tomato: Lesson learned.

Nice to know he's gone on to a new home to continue his preservation. :D

Great effort all round for all of these 'R' projects that are happening! Maybe one day I'll pass a 480 on the road. I've not seen once since the late 00s myself. Not counting meetings of course!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:55 pm

good news on the MoT :hopping:
I have been known to 'not' attempt bleed screw removal and rely on bleeding via the hose connection, not ideal but when new calipers are 'ruddy expensive' and not next day, then needs must. Obviously means you can only bleed them 'off the mount' using piece of plywood as the disc :-)

sadly the horn is an easy thing to miss, never use it, so the one time at MoT, ditto the hazard switch (esp on the SS1 is worked to death the evning prior to MoT)

CeDriC is also down to one horn, one is 'open circuit' even after i made a couple of nice new SS mounts (more 'tag plates', I got about 30 odd all 4" x 3" 18 gauge)

I notice that the power steering pipe looks nice, shiney and brazed, I thought mine had been 'polished' as the othe one is just 'painted'?
Alan

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:46 pm

Now that Pud has gone to to dc's Pamper Parlour under his own steam he has a new thread under Pud the Celebration so his story continues on there. DC is old school, all transport is female 😄
Our first successfully completed rescue!
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:30 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:46 pm
Now that Pud has gone to to dc's Pamper Parlour under his own steam he has a new thread under Pud the Celebration so his story continues on there. DC is old school, all transport is female 😄
Well done to all concerned. I know D C will look after Pud and when current troubles have cleared I hope to go across and visit.

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:31 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Well done to all concerned. I know D C will look after Pud and when current troubles have cleared I hope to go across and visit.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:02 pm

Norm57 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:31 pm
dragonflyjewels wrote:
Be a pleasure to see you Norm, as always :D

As soon as lockdown is over we'll sort something out. Nigel's looking to pop over too so we can look at his headlight covers - perhaps we should have a mini get-together at mine?

David