A Sorry Looking Celebration (Given a Lifeline as R2!)

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: A Sorry Looking Celebration (Given a Lifeline!)

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:10 pm

Glasgow Jim's undoubtedly was 480 Central, but jifflemon's is definitely The 480 Sanctuary :lol:

The trailer hire is booked for next Thursday, just anxiously watching Northampton's covid outbreak in case they get put back into lockdown. I do have a plan B but the date might have to change. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen and 331 (otherwise known as R2) will be safely in the sanctuary in a week's time. So sad to see two more grey Celebrations on facebook today, one definitely to be broken and the other probably beyond saving.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:58 am

The grey Celebration not being broken is in Redcar - not a million miles. Might go and have a look...have to see how I feel :D :( :?

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Richmann1
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by Richmann1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Think it used to belong to Joolz the one in redcar, I think it had a new gearbox etc not long before being laid up.
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection no 329/480.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:17 pm

466 was indeed Joolz car.
Sylvia

hubby has

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:05 pm

After a long and tiring day I'm happy to report that R2 (331 of 480), otherwise known as Pud, is safely in the sanctuary. The write off was explained when we looked it over at the scrapyard - someone tried to crowbar the driver's door open and presumably smashed the lights and added various bits of damage to the paintwork in frustration at not being able to steal it. I'll put some pics on tomorrow.
The good good good news is that the wheel arches are rock solid inside and out. Even better, the scrappie said despite putting a bit of fresh fuel in, the engine kept cutting out, but by the time it had been driven out and onto the trailer it had woken up enough to remember what to do. So when we got it back to Jeff and he reversed off the trailer, he was able to leave it ticking over whilst he moved another car out of the way. The engine sounded very smooth, no rattles or vibration, and the gearbox seems fine too.
Bearing in mind we have just bought R3 and only got a month before it has to be collected, the plan has changed. Given that no-one has been tinkering with R2, there isnt tooooo much to do so Jeff has decided to shelve R1 and crack on with getting R2 sorted. Hopefully Pud will have an mot and V5 by the time R3 comes along so it can be moved on and then Jeff can work on the 2 early 1.7s side by side.
It was drizzling with rain when we left, then started to pour shortly after so I said to Al, looks like Jeff is going to have to wait til tomorrow to get started. By the time we stopped for a half-way coffee break, there was a text from Jeff saying he'd hoovered R2's carpet and engine bay, taken out the boot carpet and pre-treated the greenery growing on it, and found no rust under it.
Just as we turned into our lane another update arrived to say the rear seats were out and cleaned. The human wirlwind has been in action !
Sylvia

hubby has

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:03 am

Excellent news all round - well done and thank you to Sylvia, Al and Jeff for all your efforts with this new "club rescue" scheme :D

Parking R1 and turning to R2 sounds a sensible approach in the circumstances. What are the plans for R" once she has an MOT, V5, and has enjoyed Jeff's tender loving care at the 480 Sanitorium?

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:56 am

here are the photos:

must have been a pretty weedy crowbar, door damage isn't too bad, and Jeff has a plastic panel. I seem to recall a bit of distortion on the other side of the drivers door, around the bottom of the window - maybe a replacement door to sort both would be a good idea but I can't now find the grey celeb breaker recently advertised - anyone know where the ad is ?

rear damage is under the centre panel, thankfully they left the perfect cluster alone (unless of course it was a replacement fitted afterwards)
difficult to imagine what they used for this, looks more like a mad axman than jemmy job
there is also a much smaller and shallower vertical crease on the passenger door which I didn't photograph

yardman driving onto the trailer with much revving of the engine to keep it running - please god make him ease off before that elderly cambelt gives up the ghost !

another tailgating Volvo - at least this one has its eyes closed !

parked up with the HGV boys whilst we went for lunch
gorgeous lime green lambo in the petrol station, I was in time to see the door go up as the driver returned and almost ran to get close when he turned the key - just love the sound of them starting up.... but I digress
What are the plans for R2 once she has an MOT, V5, and has enjoyed Jeff's tender loving care at the 480 Sanitorium?
We badly need a new home for R2 once up and running - I'd love to add it to our fleet but that would be ridiculous ! There will be more money to spend on the bodywork as there are lots of light scuffs and scrapes. Looks like the vandals who did the damage were about 10 years old armed with plastic tools.... The price will need to reimburse us for all expenditure plus a bit for the pool spares fund, but I think it will be available to safe hands for quite a modest price for a 40k miles Celeb. It certainly looks to me as though this has had 2 owners who have kept it dry and taken great care of it - the Countryside Trust sticker in the window gives a good indication of the sort of owner at least one of them was. The mot history only has minor faults on the fails and I shall be contacting Volvo to get the service history printed off.
Anyone interested in giving it a new home please do pm me.

Jeff will be adding updates to this thread showing all the tlc he will undoubtedly lavish on it.
Sylvia

hubby has

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:24 pm

tidy looking car, if body is sound, AND trim intact mechanicals are always fixable, hence my love of Reliants :hopping:

PS I'd get hung out to dry if adding any cars to fleet . . ..
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:53 pm

Mmm,once Jeff has worked his magic I may well be interested in rehoming this one. The low mileage makes me think it would make a lovely daily driver. Let’s hope the MOT does not throw up anything to serious.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:15 pm

Well good news and bad news on R2.

The bad is that the facebook grey Celebration for breaking has already gone in the crusher, taking our chance of a drivers door and rear bumper in the correct colour with it (not to mention details for the register) :cryhard:
The Lone Ranger (our Saab is called Kimosaaby) was all set to go charging off to Hampshire to collect them if necessary. Joolz' old Celeb that was on ebay had rust in the bottom of the driver's door and the rear bumper wasn't painted so we passed on that.

The good news is that dcwalker's very safe pair of hands may be a new home for Pud, and if so, even better, he is happy to do some of the work needed so it won't all be left to Jeff - that would ease the pressure nicely ! Sorry norm, first refusal to david as he expressed interest first.....
Sylvia

hubby has

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:49 pm

If I'd have known it was in Hampshire I'd have gone and had a look for you :cry:

More than happy to check out stuff down here, just let me know :)
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Norm57

Post by Norm57 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:37 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:15 pm
Well good news and bad news on R2.

The bad is that the facebook grey Celebration for breaking has already gone in the crusher, taking our chance of a drivers door and rear bumper in the correct colour with it (not to mention details for the register) :cryhard:
The Lone Ranger (our Saab is called Kimosaaby) was all set to go charging off to Hampshire to collect them if necessary. Joolz' old Celeb that was on ebay had rust in the bottom of the driver's door and the rear bumper wasn't painted so we passed on that.

The good news is that dcwalker's very safe pair of hands may be a new home for Pud, and if so, even better, he is happy to do some of the work needed so it won't all be left to Jeff - that would ease the pressure nicely ! Sorry norm, first refusal to david as he expressed interest first.....
B*gger I am developing a bad habit of missing out on these celebs! At least it’s going to a good home. Well done DC.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:55 pm

I know where there is a lovely red one likely to be for sale. Shall I ask for you ?
Sylvia

hubby has

Norm57

Post by Norm57 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:31 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:55 pm
I know where there is a lovely red one likely to be for sale. Shall I ask for you ?
Yeah! Why not.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:38 pm

PM'd you Norm
Sylvia

hubby has

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:50 am

Hooray - V5 for 'Pud' the rescue Celebration has arrived. Next thing will be the MoT under jifflemon's very capable hands at the Sanctuary, ready for transfer to the Pamper Parlour for lots more expert tlc from dcwalker.

The plan is for Jeff to drive R2 oop north, where we will join him for a micro-meet (restrictions allowing!) so we can deliver him back to Milton Keynes. This will give R2 a much needed run after 9 years off the road and also let Jeff the Turboman have his first trip in a 2 litre. Obviously, we will have tax and insurance to pay. Third party cover to drive a car not owned or hired is only valid if the car has its own insurance so we will have to buy a policy for Pud. We could investigate a one-day insurance, but I wonder if we should have R2 insured anyway once he looks worth stealing. Other members' views on this appreciated, which also brings me to the point that we have more than run out of cash in the pot.

The initial appeal raised the £750 target, but we paid £500 for R1 and £200 for R3, leaving only £50 before we re-imburse Jeff for the parts he has bought. Thanks to lots of generous parts donations, he hasn't had to spend much but he will be giving me a bill before too long and I suspect it will be well over £50 even after he's left stuff off accidentally-on purpose.
So, any further donations gratefully received, no matter how small - we're only trying to pay for parts now, not cars !

Donate here
Sylvia

hubby has

Kira
480 Newbie

Post by Kira » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 pm

I love what you're doing with saving the wedgies and chipped in a bit.
Im looking forward to more updates and when one of them does get sold and I haven't found my own to save yet you already have an interested buyer.

Best Regards
Kira

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:58 am

Kira wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 pm
I love what you're doing with saving the wedgies and chipped in a bit.
Im looking forward to more updates and when one of them does get sold and I haven't found my own to save yet you already have an interested buyer.

Best Regards
Kira
Many thanks for the donation! Very much appreciated :)

R2 is progressing, I'll do an update post soon I promise, at the moment the focus is on fixing rather than posting!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:48 am

Hi Kira and welcome to the club ! You'll find we have a very friendly and active forum, lots of lovely people on here and a wealth of knowledge on 480s. In another year I'd be saying hope to see you at one of our meetings but of course that's all on hold for now.
As far as buying a 480 is concerned we can advise on condition and prices as well as options on which model might suit you best. If it turns out to be one of our rescue cars that would be great but the Celebration is spoken for so that only leaves two early 1.7 ES models, both very low mileage with good bodywork, but you might decide you'd prefer a 2 litre or a turbo. Ask any questions you like, you will always get helpful answers. Lots of potential new friends here!
Nice to have you on board - just be aware that 480itis never goes away!
Sylvia

hubby has

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:54 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:48 am
Nice to have you on board - just be aware that 480itis never goes away!
I can concur. Now I need to have patience until December 2021, then our son will turn 17, he will surely get his provisional drivers license in no-time and I have a reason to buy a second 480. :D
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum