Odometer motor

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

fireblade
480 Newbie

Odometer motor

Post by fireblade » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:06 pm

My Volvo 480 stoped to count the kilometers (it shows the speed, but the odometer doesn't run). I have already repalced the cog wheels but it still doesn't count.
After lots of tests, I have found out that the odometer motor doesn't run (one coil is broken).

Does anyone knows where I can get a motor? Buying a complete instrument cluster is too expensive.

Thanks

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Re: Odometer motor

Post by brinkie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:44 am

I have literally a big IKEA box, the size you can hardly manage to carry on your own, full of speedometers, tachometers and stuff. I can send you one speedometer for free, you only have to pay for the postage.

Before you start spending money, check if the cog wheel is put in correctly. Turn the trip counter by hand (pushing it with your thumb), if the odometer does not roll with it and you hear a clicking noise, the mechanism is stuck. Unscrew the stepper motor board a bit and try again. When it turns screw it back on. Then try again to turn by hand.

But it wouldn't be the first board that has died. If it really has died, please give me the following information:

- mileage (though I can see 187332 on the picture and that the dial is in kilometres)
- the number behind the "K" (until MY 1990: K6818, from MY 1991 on: K6683)

There are two options, a complete and tested speedometer with a used cog wheel so you have to replace it with a new one yourself - but you already had one.
Or, only the electronics, which saves a fair bit on postage, but might not work.

Let me know.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

fireblade
480 Newbie

Post by fireblade » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:04 pm

Thanks for your reply brinkie.

I have some knowledge in electronics, and I have tested the board in the workbench. The board is good and it gives the signal to the motor to rotate. The motor has two coils, and one is in open circuit, so that's why the motor doesn't run.

I would be very happy if you could sell the motor or the board. My speedometer is K6818 in km. The picture I posted is yours that is in your 'How To - Speedo repair'.

Thanks.

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:28 pm

I already thought the photo looked familiar :D
Send me the details via PM, I will give you my PayPal address and post it tomorrow. Fortunately the country isn't in full lockdown, so I can still post things.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum