480 for Sale

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: 480 for Sale

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:39 am

Spoken to the owner. He bought the car in 2012 or 13 and had it in storage since. but now has to move out of his storage unit. Car passed an mot last year with little work but he just put it back into store as he works in the far east. He hasn't had it registered in his name which might be a problem. He says it was sorned when he bought it but it came off sorn when the mot was done so he tried to re-sorn it but couldn't. I think I need to have a long conversation with dvla.
The car is currently at his daughter's house, son in law is an engineer and has had the dashboard off to resolder some joints as the computer wasn't working.
He is going to pass my phone no to his daughter to arrange a viewing. I'll be checking the interior to make sure the mileage is genuine - all good since 2006, but my es had a new speedo cluster fitted in 2001 by a main dealer and came back with no miles on the odo.
I'll also check out all the electrics and bodywork. Al will have a good look under the bonnet. Jiff is also going to have a look at the underside, rust / welding, suspension etc.
Watch this space !
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

yorkievolvo
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by yorkievolvo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:11 pm

If it's a goer - I'm up for £100 for the pool car idea.
However, I've got nowhere to keep it under cover.
We've got to try to save these 480s!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:16 pm

I've got some storage space - Both covered and not; I'm am big fan of keeping motors moving of course, so Post inspection, I'd like to see it getting some miles!

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:11 pm

If Sylvia, Al and Jeff think it's worth saving then count me in for a donation. Martins pool car idea is great and there will be someone who can make use of it. Let's hope if it's a runner that the dvla do not throw a spanner in the works when it comes to registering it!

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:46 pm

If he has the v5 just send off the new keeper supplement and you will be ok.

Where no V5 is available apply for a new one and the DVLA write to the previous keeper saying if they disagree then advise within x days.

Not a bad process but imagine you are out the country for a few months, some one could register as the keeper of your car .

Be good to save the car and maybe a new owner will surface later in the year.

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:08 pm

You know, I really love this forum! The response and drive to save an unloved car has been lovely to see! Best of luck with it, I am on the lookout for another project to spend the new found time due to current events
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:24 pm

....and we look at all those people who hoard/rescue cats and other animals and shake our heads..... :lol:

Good luck all. I'm excited to see it find a new life. It doesn't know how lucky it is!

Unfortunately, mine is going to wring me dry so I can't chip in towards the initial purchase but maybe a Paypal pool could be set up for people to make regular little payments towards upkeep? I could probably be a part of that. :D

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/money-pools

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:53 pm

Just back from viewing this and project pool car won't be happening yet ! Apart from in scrapyards, the only 480 I've seen worse than this one is our breaker, Junk. Really sad because the paperwork backs up the low mileage. The first owner lived in Mayfair (central London - very few properties around there have a garage, and she was a Mrs so if there was a garage I'd lay money on her hubby's car being kept in it). She had it 10 years, doing about 2k miles a year and having it serviced at the same Mayfair main dealer it came from. After that it moved to the east end of London and started visiting small repair shops, and also collected receipts for parts (diy) but still not doing many miles per year. Owner 3 lived in a run down area of London. It certainly looks as though it spent most of its life outside. Covered in small dings and dents, mostly covered with a motley assortment of shades of cheap silver paint. No rust showing under the paintwork anywhere, but a quick look at the bottom edge of the rear arches made it unnecessary for Al to roll underneath - very little metal left and what was there crumbled when I touched it. The brake calipers were very heavily pitted with rust along with the discs - I'd be surprised if they aren't seized on. One rear light cluster was just broken along the top edge, but the other had a hole the size of a golf ball letting rain in on the indicator bulb. DRL lenses replaced with perspex, held on with sellotape. Rear washer jet missing. The windscreen was replaced in 2012, just before it went into store but apparently the storage unit was also used by other people fixing old cars with little regard for anyone else's so the 'new' screen has some nasty deep chips and scratches right across the driver's side. How on earth did this pass the MoT last year ? The black rubbing strips along the sides are all curled up at the ends, not quite sure how that happened. The seller's son has the car at the moment, he works on aircraft inspections for KLM and has a friend who works for a Volvo Main Dealer so he got a list of fixing points for dashboard removal. When he took the dash out, very few fixing lugs were left intact on the backing frame. The peeling on the speedo is the worst I have ever seen, looks like someone cut it all right back to stop it snagging the needle - probably the same clot who broke the fixing lugs. He found some wires in need of soldering on the loom, along with some bodged connections so he did those and the rev counter/speedo came back to life, but not the computer, and the odometer records miles while the car is ticking over. He said if it was his and we offered him £20 for it he'd be happy to take it. He's managed to get the pop-ups working, both windows work but not the sunroof. Indicators/headlights work. drls work intermittantly but not the long range lights or front fogs. The driver's door won't stay open, the pull for the fuel flap is no longer connected to the cable. The engine misfired, but then it's not been run for a long time and the petrol in it will be n years old. Cambelt hasn't been changed since 2006, so it would have to be trailered. After that, I gave up looking, no way would I recommend buying this one.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:40 pm

Such a shame, at least the son-in-law sounds more realistic!

Sounds like a breaker at best (and not that much to be had)

Whilst we can’t save them all, what am I pleased about is that we rallied around to at least try and save one!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:07 pm

That's a real shame - thanks for making the effort Sylvia!

Jeff's right though, well done everyone who rallied round for this one...

On a slight tangent, but following through on the pool car idea, if someone on here is stuck and can't cope without a 480, I would be happy to lend out my Celebration, Nilani, now my GT is going back on the road. I know Jeff has been very kind in lending out his cars but he's in Milton Keynes, so for anyone somewhat further north the offer is there.

I appreciate none of us are probably going far at the moment, but it might just save someone's sanity!!

Best to all in these strange times

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:42 pm

What a b*mmer it did not look too bad in the pics. As has been said the pool car idea is a good one though. If we keep our eyes peeled we may find one that's fit for the role. Here's hoping everyone stays safe and well the next few months.

WalkableBuffalo
480 Newbie

Post by WalkableBuffalo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 pm

Well I can't feel too bad about mine now based on that description :shock:
Real shame, truly. Kudos for making the effort to go take a look at it.
-Will
1991 480 ES, 1.7, Arctic Blue
Current status: No MOT, 99% ready I swear

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:07 am

Well done Sylvia for having enabled us to see clearly through our 480 tinted spectacles! Whilst it is a shame that the car is a crock, at least we will be spared the ignominy of buying unseen at a distance and then trying nobly to live with the consequences.

I did this once with a 'low mileage / one owner' Mazda MX5 which was photographed to look interesting and listed on eBay as a mini-project requiring minor work for the MOT. As the car was 230 miles away, I did my 'due diligence' via DVLA and questions to the seller, which convinced me I was on to something good. So I did the deal (circa £650 I think) & arranged transport (another £220). I should have known I was in for fun when the transport co rang to say that it was loaded but they had run into issues. On arrival it was clear that the photographs, whilst genuinely of the car, had not been taken recently, and highlighted the only areas of the car that were still held together (mainly by paint). Getting the car off the low loader was fun - more metal (well ferrous oxide) stayed aboard than came off, and it practically bent in two as the remains rolled on to my drive. A cursory inspection confirmed that the minor work alluded to in the eBay listing was the replacement of body shell running gear, interior, drivetrain and wheels (which were steel and had rusted solid). The engine did start, but needed head gasket (mayonnaise in the rocker cover). The bonnet was good - that was it!

Lesson learned - go and see a car in person before shooting self in proverbial..

But then again, it's a volvo 480...!

The Wedge is dead! Long live the Wedge!!!
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)