I hope not but...

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

PJP
480 Newbie

I hope not but...

Post by PJP » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:07 pm

... after a heart to heart with my wife at the weekend, I'm left in a pickle and may possibly have to consider parting with my 480.

Not being the most confident of drivers she refuses to drive it point blank and having discussed a house move, she now wants to move within walking distance of a Metro (argggghhh!) knowing her contract has been extended for another 4 years so she will definitely be working in the same place. The two houses we are interested in are terrible for parking with no driveway, and a fight over who parks on-street. :wall:

This has got me thinking seriously about the possibility of having to sell it which I'm reluctant to do, but I equally need to consider both of us.

I couldn't bear the idea of a boy racer taking it on and thrashing it. I've worked hard in the half year I've had it to clean it up and do the odd job. I also love the 480 (surprise surprise....why else would I be on here!) and would only consider it going to a home where I know it would be appreciated for what it is.

It's the Limited Edition model in original condition, with no rot and working electrics/computer. It's covered almost 90,000 miles and was the best example I could find by a mile when I started looking at the beginning of last year.

I'm just using this forum as a sound board just now to try and see whether there would be any interest - I'd feel so much more reassured knowing it was going to the right kind of person! (I hope you know what I mean when I say that). And there's me planning only 3 months ago to definitely try and make it to a meeting this year...(would you still accept a non-Volvo 480 owner with a great passion for them?!?! :D )

I hope you don't mind me posting this as I know its a strange one....

:cryhard:

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Re: I hope not but...

Post by brinkie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:03 pm

You should wait with the sale until the March issue of Practical Classics, it will feature a buyers guide to the Volvo 480. Definitely a 480 needs careful owners, the boy racing brigade should stay away from it.

I suddenly realised I'm so lucky with an affordable rented spot for my 480 in an underground parking next to the railway station, just a quarter mile from where I live. So we have the best of both worlds...
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 pm

Anyone with a passion for the 480s is very welcome at the meetings regardless of what they come in.
Put some more info on the forum about the car - pics as well if it will let you. You never know, another member might give it a good home.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

triumphtoledo
Started learning about 480

Post by triumphtoledo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:01 am

Car Mechanics magazine (same publisher as Practical Classics) shall shortly be doing a 2-part piece on getting a 480 back on the road penned by a certain motoring journalist.... ;)

R

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:26 pm

I wonder how many pages per part :shock:
1993 Turbo auto called Skip for the important stuff
2011 Juke 190 for everything else

triumphtoledo
Started learning about 480

Post by triumphtoledo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:14 pm

two pages per instalment

R

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:42 pm

I emailed Practical Classics to invite them to our May meeting, as jifflemon's excellent suggestion. Got a repy asking whereabouts I live in the country so they can publish my email......
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

PJP
480 Newbie

Post by PJP » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding. Again I appreciate the comments. My hope of a relatives drive is a non-starter I’m afraid. I’m now torn beyond belief – I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t. :nuts:

I appreciate what you have said about the magazine article though and timing wise, we’re not too far away from that – any ideas when it will be released. If a March issue will they released mid-February? I know my Empire magazine comes out a good few weeks before the month starts!
For those of you who could be interested, my 480 it is the Special Edition model 1.7L in original condition with two-tone paint finish and part leather interior.

The mechanical repairs it has had done within the last 6 months or so include a replacement Renix unit, crankshaft position sensor, front and rear drop links and several brake components including 2 rear copper brake lines. It has had a new clutch, cambelt and battery, as well as a replacement tailgate with two new gas struts. I’ve also replaced the boot seal, popped new bulbs in as required and have generally given it a lot of love and attention, including a tune-up to help with the idling and a clean of the distributor and related parts.

The condition of the car's bodywork and paint is very good indeed with no body rot that I can see, only very minor age related cosmetic marks. I’ve had it clayed to take off all contamination and following a few applications of wax, its beading very nicely. The Info Centre all works as do the pop-ups.
There is really very little to talk of in terms of negative points for a 24 year old car – its drives me to and from work once or twice a week without a problem and starts first time. It was the best example I had come across when looking.

A crack on the windscreen in the bottom right hand corner was a cause for concern when I bought it but it has not moved since and like the previous owner said, it was more important to try and keep the original screen with the green band – I’d now agree. I think I’ve cracked a leak in the rear (around a month dry and counting!) and I’ve got the parts to replace the bonnet liner and the indicator stalk – just waiting for better weather.

I’ve tried to include some images but with no luck – instead I've got a link to download them from WeTransfer (see below) They are just JPEG's so should be easy enough to view.

Thanks!

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/095a03 ... 120/5cdf8e

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:44 pm

Does look very nice!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:20 pm

That's a beautiful car, you've clearly put some work into it and it shows.

I hope you find a solution and are able to keep it, but if it has to go then let me know. I was chatting to a car enthusiast friend of mine the other day and he asked me if I knew of any good 480s on the market - he lives in London and is looking for something unusual but practical (relatively speaking!). He'd take good care of it and bring it to club meetings wherever possible, so it would stay in the community.

Obviously it would be preferable if you are able to keep it, just wanted to let you know of a potential option.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

PJP
480 Newbie

Post by PJP » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for the comments - when I got it I'd had in mind a long lasting ownership but how quick things can change! I'd been looking at them for almost 2 years before I found 'the one' and whilst it has the odd thing here and there, it was the best condition I'd seen one in with the body work suprisingly very rust free!

I've spoken to my wife more since the weekend and I'm feeling resigned to the fact that it may have to go - the problem I've got is that she just won't drive it. We have an IQ as our 'day-to-day' car and she is just about OK with that. She just doesn't like driving. I've tried to suggested we could just keep the Volvo as I would use that daily and she will get the train 80% of the time, but it's the other 20% when she needs to get somewhere which is the pain!

I know it sounds sad, but really the only way I could part ways is knowing it would be going to someone that would appreciate as much as I do. Jasper, if your friend is interested, perhaps pass on the details and see what he thinks and we can go from there. This may make my decision easier.

I'm the other end of the Country up near Durham - another reason why me making the get togethers isn't too easy at times - I don't know if that would have a bearing. We could make something work I'm sure.

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:30 pm

PM sent.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:55 am

PJP wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:30 pm
I've spoken to my wife more since the weekend and I'm feeling resigned to the fact that it may have to go - the problem I've got is that she just won't drive it. We have an IQ as our 'day-to-day' car and she is just about OK with that. She just doesn't like driving. I've tried to suggested we could just keep the Volvo as I would use that daily and she will get the train 80% of the time, but it's the other 20% when she needs to get somewhere which is the pain!
Crazy enough, my wife doesn't like the 480 because it's too small! :lol:

Life is full of choices, and I know how hard it is to let go of a special car; I still regret the sale of my Matra Murena. Though it was literally screaming for an engine and gearbox rebuild, I had to sell an otherwise solid car with all the unobtainium bits, and had already secured a spare engine.

I will ease the pain a bit for you: you don't want a car with poor spare parts supply like the 480 as your daily car. The age is showing, there are a couple of heroes who don't have another car than the 480 but it definitely needs more attention than a new car to keep it running. The IQ is a Toyota, so it will keep running even if thrown off a building. It's a great city runabout, the only reason Toyota doesn't sell them anymore is that they were too expensive. And you can tell everybody you're driving a rebadged Aston Martin Cygnet! :rofl:
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

PJP
480 Newbie

Post by PJP » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Thanks Brinkie - I like that idea - a rebadged Aston...that's as close as I'll ever get to owning one that's for sure!

Touch wood the IQ has been very good with some work required last year covered under warranty thankfully - I'm doing too much of the driving which doesn't help so my wife hasn't got used to driving it as yet. The Micra we had previously she seemed more comfortable with but I wasn't a fan.

I've just washed the 480 this morning and to say I'm torn is an understatement - my wife is more important though and if it means a smoother time when we move, I cannot argue. After all, she did let me buy it in the first place, 3 days before we went on our honeymoon which broke the bank!

:rofl: