Turbo for Sale

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ChrisRidett
Knows where Volvo is from

Turbo for Sale

Post by ChrisRidett » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:47 pm

White ( Dirty white at the moment - needs a good wash and polish )

I'll check the exact mileage on the speedo - but i think its about 103K.
In reality the speedo was intermittant when i got her - it worked most of the time i've used her - best I can figure is its not far off. probably within 5-10k

Things that need doing:
Drivers electric window : Replacement regulator unit needed- old one has been stripped out already but window is propped closed at the moment.
Minor Rust spots on door edges: Need curing now or they'll eat the door skin away
Dashboard slightly intermittent: Speedo is now 50/50 - most of the rest works.
Water leak: from somewhere - possibly blocked drain channel from the sunroof. Footwells wet : think this if from sitting on the drive not being used.
Washer stalk pull works -( washer jets work ) but wipers only come on when stalk moved down - not automatically when washer is activated.
Drivers fog light need replacing - mounting points have gone and its loose.

Good points.
Strong engine - shes a reliable lump, despite problems with the alternator - theres a new one in her now and seems to be holding.
Structurally good as far as i can tell .
electric mirrors work + heated too
rear demist works - rewired all that
New windscreen, rear discs and pads and handbrake cable last year
Cambelt only has about 10k on it
I've changed the oil on her every year and thats normally included the filter too.
At 20 years old she still goes a lot quicker then most cars on the road !
No black smoke or funny turbo noises.
Good oil pressure and boost.

Taxed and Mot'd ( think tax is till June, Mot is October/November time )

Annoying points
New discs and pads at front, but seem to get a bit of vibration when braking from motorway speeds- could be wheels need balancing or new disc has warped or bearing or......whatever
Connector on the MAF sensor sometimes causes her to ramp on the revs at idle- just pushing the connector back on sorts it - another minor thing I never got round to fixing.
Cold sensor seems sticky : She'll start and run fine , but if you gun her from cold ( not recommended anyway - cold oil all around the turbo...) - the sensor seems to tell the unit shes already hot and she'll then run a bit rough until shes warmed up.
Headlining at rear needs sticking up!
Indicators clusters could do with replacing.

She needs tidying and some love and attention and she'll be a nice car again.

Offers invited - I'd rather sell her to someone that going to do her up for a bit less then someone else thats going to rip her turbo engine out. So established members on the forum are given precedence here.

Lets try and keep another original Turbo on the road

For pic's check out my post in ' my new time and money sponge' in the secret life section http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 23&t=18886
I'll post more recent pics once i've tidied and taken my stuff out of her .
Cars: Bond Bug 700ES, Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5A,Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.6, Nissan 200 SX , MG-ZR, Rover 25 , Volvo V40 1.9TD, 480 Turbo..POPPY- to be released back into the wild, Volvo V70 D5 (ExWife nicked it, gave it back broken,I fixed it temp, flogged it to WeByAnyCr before it broke again :). Hyundai Elantra 2.0 CDX ( Strangest car ever).
Now have a full OBD software so although the 480's didnt have it - any members need a cars Engine Management Light reset post 1999 get in touch :)

ChrisRidett

Re: Turbo for Sale

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:50 pm

Update

Hate to say it, but Poppy has to go now so if no one wants her in the club i'll have to put her on Ebay.

Just bought a new battery for her - fired her up and took her round the block.
now the other electric window doesnt work and it looks like the indicator stalk has gone. Checked the fuses they seem ok. Oh and the sunroof now doesnt work.

She has Tax till July and Mot till September, although having looked through tons of F*cking paperwork I cant locate either the V5 or the MOT. Must have put them somewhere now cant find them - I'll keep looking. It is registered to me at my address so if I have to I'll get another V5 and duplicate Mot cert.

Shes not perfect by a long shot, needs surface rust doing on her bodywork and new electric windows and sunroof, headlining at the rear. But her engine is strong and she doesnt appear to burn oil - although a new brass olive on her sump plug wouldnt go amiss.
New recent Alternator, although i probably wont be able to find that receipt either.

If someone from this club turns up at my door with £150, you can drive her away.
If I put her on Ebay just her having an MOT till Nov will probably get me £200- £300.

Questions or queries : 07500864311 or chris.ridett@gmail.com
Last edited by ChrisRidett on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cars: Bond Bug 700ES, Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5A,Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.6, Nissan 200 SX , MG-ZR, Rover 25 , Volvo V40 1.9TD, 480 Turbo..POPPY- to be released back into the wild, Volvo V70 D5 (ExWife nicked it, gave it back broken,I fixed it temp, flogged it to WeByAnyCr before it broke again :). Hyundai Elantra 2.0 CDX ( Strangest car ever).
Now have a full OBD software so although the 480's didnt have it - any members need a cars Engine Management Light reset post 1999 get in touch :)

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:10 pm

Found the MOT - it Expires 26th September 2014

Found one V5 but think there was a newer one.

Jimbocrx
480 Newbie

Post by Jimbocrx » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi, I've followed the link to look at some pictures but there aren't any there? Any chance of posting some recent pics so I can see how bad the rust is and headlining is?

Does the indicator stalk work at all?

I've had 2 480 es' in my time and neither of them had the electrical problems described on this forum, although one of them winked every now and again! Are there ways of sorting the gremlins like the speedo and dashboard computer?

Really interested in your car, I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew!

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:41 pm

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:42 pm

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:42 pm

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:49 pm

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:51 pm

I can see the pics, but hopefully everyone else can.

they link through to photobucket and full size ones can be seen there.

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:53 pm

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Trying to upload a link to a video , but doubt that will work!

Jimbocrx
480 Newbie

Post by Jimbocrx » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:19 pm

Is it ok if I call you tomorrow afternoon to ask a few questions, if your number is still the same as the one you listed earlier in the thread? Watching the football and consuming a few drinks! Looks nice though and rust doesn't look as bad as you described.

Thanks

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi Jimbocrx,

Call anytime after 9:30am and before 11pm - outside these hours I wont make much sense. :)

Managed to get a vid of me starting her up and the engine running, although I do drop my phone just after she starts - not the greatest cameraman in the world.

http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/chris ... e.mp4.html

Jimbocrx
480 Newbie

Post by Jimbocrx » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Tried calling but it says your phone is unavailable. I'm away tomorrow and most of Sunday but will try again next week.

Are the problems with the windows, speedo and brakes still there? I'm not sure if its a project too far for me? I'm after a 480 turbo on the road that needs a bit of tlc but not a complete overall.

Obviously I know you aren't asking very much for it though. I'd like to come and see it to get a handle on what needs doing.

Speak next week!

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:23 pm

I have had to resort to ebay, heres the link if anyone is interested,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1545022245

neilgtir
480 Newbie

Post by neilgtir » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:09 pm

is this still for sale