Celebration: Free as a restoration project

Cleaned up the garage, found parts laying around, but it turned out to be a complete Volvo 480? If you want to sell your car (480 only) you can place an advert here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Celebration: Free as a restoration project

Post by dcwalker » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:55 pm

Some of you will know that I took on Nipper, Celebration no 269/480 that belonged to Steve doingitsideways.

Poor old Nipper had been sitting forlornly for many months and I took it on with the intention of restoring the car to pristine condition. Unfortunately it is clear that, without a huge amount of work, time and money, Nipper is never going to be pristine again :(

Because I wanted my fifth 480 to be a genuine keeper, I had perfection (or as near as possible) as my aim, and so bought a 480 GT that came up that is pretty much that. I have a thread about it on the VOC forum, and will give some info here in due course.

I can (and will) break Nipper for parts, but before I do that I thought I would offer the car to anyone else who may be up for a project, in particular if they can do their own welding and perhaps just want to make Nipper useable, rather than a perfect example.

I do not intend to give the car away just for someone else to break for parts! However I am working on the basis that people on here are genuine enthusiasts who would like to see 480s kept going. So, if someone on here would like the car with the real intention of restoring it to at least a useable state, you are welcome to it. Obviously it has no MOT and is SORN, so will need collection by trailer.

As usual, rust and rot is the main problem: to achieve what I wanted I was told it needed new sills, inner and outer rear arches, door edges sorting out, holes in boot floor repairing and some "thin patches" in the foot-wells sorting out. Paintwork is not good with bad flaking in places. 3 of the 4 corner clips that hold the bumper edges in place are broken. Rear lights are not bad to look at but are cracked at the edges. Rear engine mount is broken. It wants fit new discs and pads all round. The info centre is extremely erratic, and despite a replacement washer pump certain washer functions are still not right (CEM?). However, everything else seems to work...The engine has done over 150,000 miles but, other than being a little rattly when cold, runs well.

Since acquiring Nipper I have given her a really good clean inside and out - interior and leather upholstery is in reasonably good condition. I have dried the car out completely. I have done a coolant change, replaced all the blown dashboard bulbs, and repaired the wiring to the rear window. I have fitted a clock and info centre switch as both were missing, and also bought an air filter box (Steve kindly included one in the car but it wasn't the right one...). Those bits can stay with the car. I will happily sell on the rear engine mount for exactly what I paid for it.

I have taken the roller boot cover and the extra gauges to use in my GT - I considered that repaid the costs of me getting her trailered from Sideways Mansions to me.

I need this 480 gone now - 3 cars are a pain in the limited space I have. I will also be posting this on the VOC forum, and only leaving the car intact for another couple of weeks. I can provide any photos etc as required.

So if you are interested, contact me!

Regards

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Celebration: Free as a restoration project

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:02 pm

the trailering and welding beats me sadly. :cryhard:

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:34 pm

As I've said before, if it's too far gone that's fair enough. Also I have no problem with it being broken for the greater good. That's the spirit with which I gave it away.

However, if someone took it to break for profit, I'd be most upset. I have a big hammer and 2' length of 4x3". Ever seen Misery?! :rofl:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:37 pm

doingitsideways wrote:As I've said before, if it's too far gone that's fair enough. Also I have no problem with it being broken for the greater good. That's the spirit with which I gave it away.

However, if someone took it to break for profit, I'd be most upset. I have a big hammer and 2' length of 4x3". Ever seen Misery?! :rofl:
Totally agree - hence I have made very clear that it is only on offer as a restoration exercise. To be honest I think it is too far gone but I just thought before I started pulling it to bits that I ought to make the offer.

I ought to add that if I end up breaking it then, with a couple of exceptions that I shall keep for myself, most parts will be up for grabs for the greater good...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:16 pm

I have held a breaking party last year.
Bought a 480 Turbo which was really a lemon. MOT failure because of leaking exhaust and worn suspension bushes, rotten sills and plastered wheel wells, head gasket failure, along with several other faults. It was really going to take an outrageous financial effort to save this one. I called several of my 480-mates if they were interested to help me breaking up the car and keeping the parts they needed for a small price.
And that's what we did.
And sometimes it broke a bit too much :rofl:
In the end, no less than 7 480's and a 460 were repaired or enhanced just because of this one, and my spare parts bin is well filled now. When I passed the financial break-even point, I actually started to give stuff away.
What was left of the car I gave away to the bloke whose yard I was using to break up the car. He took it to the breakers and got cash as well.

It was so much fun, it's almost addictive. I sold the last remaining parts this weekend, a set of Taurus wheels with 5 mm tread left on the tires (production date somewhere in 2013, so they're still good). Brought the wheels to the buyer's place, along with a jack and a torque wrench, and replaced the wheels for them. They wanted to pay extra for the travel cost and the trouble, which I declined. I had a most enjoyable afternoon (the buyer owns two 480's, an XC90, V40 T4 and a Honda S2000 - really could talk for hours there) and even got some money. I wish my daily job was like this. :)
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum