FOTU 2023

Discussions about meetings, both organised by us and by others, can take place here. If you want to organise a meeting yourself, this is the place to start! If you want to inform everyone of a meeting no one might know, feel free to post it here too.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

FOTU 2023

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:14 pm

For those wondering "what the fudge?", FOTU is the Festival Of The Unexceptional" hosted by Hagerty every year. You could argue that there's no way a 480 should go to such an event, but it's diluting down to be more of a classic show than "everyday humdrum cars, forgotten by nation" - But more on that later! I'd totally forgotten I'd booked it, but was reminded of it by Edie, so met up with her and fox early morning (you pay per car, not per person!) and heading to Grimsthorpe castle. It was here that my first gripe was formed.....

Not just the sheer length of the queue, but look at that fugly thing in front of us! :angry: They should have seperate queues for spectators, so exhibitors can get in as quickly as possible. 45 minutes later, we were finally in..... and got to start the new parking area. Which meant I was at the furthest end of the field! :angry: Seymour managed to hold his own of course.

But once again.... notice that "classic" 05 plate Renault in the background of the last picture? As we wandered the field there were numerous vehicles that were barely 5 years old in the exhibitors field. Anyway, Edie managed to find a car to reminisce over - Even had her name on the plate!

And whilst wandering the field, I bumped into two fellow 480 owners (Instagram people, though they have both been prodded about the forum, and will hopefully be along to comment)

The keen of eye will notice that the green car was actually Rob's old car. You'll also notice both cars feature a red wing mirror, which neither of the Ladies would agree to replace to satisfy my OCD - in fact after I left, they sent me this

:rofl:

Was a great day (with the exception of overpriced food, too many modern cars and an absolute influx of wannabe "youtubers" wandering round talking drivel about cars). Katies Blue car was described as a 480 GT - Not because of the wheels but because if you look, a previous owner stuck a GT Badge on the front bumper! Oh and many myths about 480's were dispelled; my favourite of the day was "Yeah, you had to change both front foglamp bulbs at the same time, or the pop up lights would just keep going up and down!"

And the way home, we also achieved a mini milestone!

Ellaallport
480 Newbie

Re: FOTU 2023

Post by Ellaallport » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:34 pm

At last I have joined the forum! Love this post and the photos, can't bring myself to have his red ear painted green haha

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:52 pm

Ellaallport wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:34 pm
At last I have joined the forum! Love this post and the photos, can't bring myself to have his red ear painted green haha
To be fair, I thought it was Emma that did the red ear, but looking back through Robs Thread it does indeed seem to be “a feature”

WillC9303
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WillC9303 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:37 pm

I wish I could have attended FOTU as it looks to be right up my alley, but didn't fancy doing a second mega round trip up north within a week! Might see if I can go next year. I recognize the dark green ES but not the blue one. Paris blue & Racing green are both stunning colours, though I think my main focus though would be on fixing the DRL/Indicator unit rather than the mismatching mirror cap!

Now you mention wannabe YouTubers, I know HubNut seems to be quite popular but I actually find him a bit irritating tbh. I also used to watch idriveaclassic until I saw how she behaves and treats others on social media.
My experience with YouTubers who document car shows is that just because they're holding a Go Pro, believe they have the right to barge through and get very hurt if you dare wonder through THEIR shot! anyway, rant over! :rofl:

There's a battered '04 plate Megane local to me which is used as a private Amazon parcel delivery car. Should tell you all you need to know :lol:
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

K.Lawton
480 Newbie

Post by K.Lawton » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:52 pm

Was lovely to see you both! I also will also not be replacing my red wing mirror! :wink:

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:54 pm

Good write-up Jeff. Great to see UTT looking so smart.

I went 2021 and it seems nothing changes re. getting in.

"Unexceptional" is such a difficult thing to police. Me and a good mate had huge debates that day about what cars were or were not unexceptional.

Being an infidel he totally believes the 480 rightly belongs there. I guess his barometer would be it never set the world on fire. I'm the stark opposite, a sports coupe is exceptional just because of its type!

Therein lies the problem.

It's almost like the car park needs multiple zones. Modern. Classic. Classic unexceptional. But that would be a lot of effort to manage and in some cases purely subjective.

Having a working odo is indeed cause for celebration :wink: :rofl:
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:26 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:54 pm
"Unexceptional" is such a difficult thing to police. Me and a good mate had huge debates that day about what cars were or were not unexceptional.

Being an infidel he totally believes the 480 rightly belongs there. I guess his barometer would be it never set the world on fire. I'm the stark opposite, a sports coupe is exceptional just because of its type!

Therein lies the problem.

It's almost like the car park needs multiple zones. Modern. Classic. Classic unexceptional. But that would be a lot of effort to manage and in some cases purely subjective.
Was discussing similar with Mr Dendy about how teslas seem to invade classic shows locally. He sagely pointed out that they have to, simply because they’re not going to be around long enough to actually reach classic status! :rofl: