Hampshire-Lincolnshire Meet 7th - 8th Aug 21

Discussions about meetings, both organised by us and by others, can take place here. If you want to organise a meeting yourself, this is the place to start! If you want to inform everyone of a meeting no one might know, feel free to post it here too.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Hampshire-Lincolnshire Meet 7th - 8th Aug 21

Post by jifflemon » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:20 am

I'm sure others will post pics too.... but

A cracking turn out! :D

and then sunday? Well... its started okay....

Improved.....

and then wow....

We had all the rarities covered!

Turbo? Have 3 of them!
GT? Have 2 of them!
Twin tone? Yup, have 2 of those too!
Celebration? Of course!
Launch car? Why not!

Absolutely amazing to see. As usual, never enough actual time spent with you wonderful lot.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:57 pm

A weekend full of surprises, with cars turning up I wasn't expecting, some leaving and others joining at practically every stop so overall a wonderful turnout with a constantly changing selection !

We started at services on the A303 and met Joe S and his wife for the first time - dedicated long-time 480 owner with his current treasure, a racing green turbo. Originally on an M plate, the current H is the private plate it came with. James arrived shortly after, and off we went to Thruxton where a stranger awaited us with a car I know quite well. We introduced ourselves to David Delmonte from the facebook group with the burgundy Celebration our friend Andrew rescued from a scrapyard and completely restored. (The same Andrew who inspected rescue cars R6 and R7 for us as well as hosting R6 until we had space) Then along came Ben (MrH) and so we were 6 for the first photos of the meet.

We said goodbye to Ben and Joe, and went off to Silverstone with James and David to look around the museum. Quite disappointing, not many cars but a lot of interactive displays. I was hoping for something more like the museum at Le Mans, but never mind. Next stop was the Volvo Training Centre where a lovely man called Colin not only let us into the carpark for photos, but also took us over to a unit where there are five of Volvo's Heritage Fleet. He looks after them which of course means taking them out for a spin to keep everything moving - gorgeous Amazon GT drew a lot more attention than the Polestar ! Jeff and Edie plus her son Fox joined us for this one so the lineup changed again.

Apologies to Colin for keeping him from watching a cricket match, but he was really interesting to talk to as well as interested in our cars.

Sunday morning found us in the Toby Carvery where we were pleasantly surprised to be joined by Will (Jaster) in his green GT and Ollie (100) is his two-tone, as well as Andreas from Facebook also in a two-tone. Arthur (oddballer) also arrived, but sadly his lovely Celeb decided to play up after a few months on the drive so he was in his work van. Then a message popped up on my phone from James, who had gone home Saturday evening, to say that he and his wife would re-join us at Rutland Water, where David and Lee Walker were also joining in Pud, the rescue Celebration.

a real credit to David at the Pamper Parlour, considering the first photo of Pud looked like this:

The lineup looked like this

One of the two tones had to move onto a flat hard surface ready for a possible bump start as it was only starting on the key when it felt like it - pushing uphill on wet grass would have been a nightmare.

Lunch at the pub was interesting - it had changed hands since our last visit and is now more of an Italian restaurant. My seafood soup was more seafood than soup and very peppery but absolutely delicious.

We said goodbye to James and Rachel who were off for a long walk, and Will and Ollie turned back south. We continued on our way to a tea break at The Petwood Hotel - beautiful old building in gorgeous grounds, which housed the officers mess for the Dambuster squadron in World War II. David and Al were in their element looking at all the memorabilia they have on display. We said goodbye to Andreas and continued on to Cadwell Park where a track day was still in progress. Again, we were let in for photos with the circuit in the background.

Then it was off to the Royal Oak for our evening meal. We said goodbye to Arthur and Edie and having opted for a late breakfast also said our goodbyes to David and Lee who were leaving earlier (I believe to collect some 480 parts - what else would David be doing on a Monday morning ?). We retired to our room absolutely exhausted but very happy after another successful and enjoyable meet with old friends and new.

I will at some point go through the dashcam footage and look for some nice stills of the varying convoys.
Last edited by dragonflyjewels on Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:20 pm

Sorry for duplicates of others' photos! Here are some of mine, finally. :D

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:30 pm

Finally went through the dashcam footage, here are some stills:

Meeting at Starbucks, Joe S parked opposite Sven where Al had left his dashcam running. James looks a bit strange, due to curved image

Ben tagged onto the back of the convoy just as we arrived at Thruxton

off to Silverstone

all reversing together

arriving at Volvo Daventry

we got there before our kind volunteer arrived to unlock the barrier

standing chatting whilst waiting for Jeff and Edie - just arriving in the background

and then Jeff arrived

he didn't take long to start tinkering under Sven's bonnet

Sunday - arriving at the beautiful Petwood Hotel

two white turbos arriving at Cadwell Park in the rain

and finally parked up at the Royal Oak for a meal and collapse into bed after a long tiring two days of pure enjoyment.

Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any