Final Details for Mini-Meet Saturday 6th May

Discussions about meetings, both organised by us and by others, can take place here. If you want to organise a meeting yourself, this is the place to start! If you want to inform everyone of a meeting no one might know, feel free to post it here too.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

eye of ra
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: Final Details for Mini-Meet Saturday 6th May

Post by eye of ra » Sun May 07, 2017 4:52 pm

I would also like to thank Sylvia and Al for organising the event also DCWalker for bringing all his brochures, Jeff for the goody bag and James for a chance to look his technical manuals. Not quite sure who brought the large hardback book but thanks it was very interesting.

It was great to meet and put faces to people, shame I could only turn up at Tissington and without my 480 but maybe next time she will be ready. Also wish I could have carried on to the Dam sounds like a lot of fun was had.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:00 pm

I wish we could muster that number up here, must have been biggest percentage of 480 in one place in the UK for years, some very shiny versions as well :hopping:

According to tinternet only about 200 of ALL varieties of 480 left!!!!

there are more SS1s left (350) from a production run of around 1500 - 1700 :D

I'll need to really take care of our one. . . . :wink:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun May 07, 2017 10:39 pm

Thank you one and all for a great day out - I had fun organising it but it was the enthusiasm of you guys that made it all work so well. I was delighted to find that NO ONE dropped out at the last minute. Rachel, your car is just gorgeous. Ade, I really regret not getting a photo of hulking great you with that tiddly little dainty teacup in your paw, that was hilarious. James, thank you so much for helping find Rachel at the dam. and bringing those books along. Jifflemon, thank you for the goody bag, and keeping Al entertained on the road. Will, the condition if your GT was unbelievable, keep it up matey. Dcwalker, I was so pleased Lee (Leigh ?) managed to join us but sorry I didn't get a chance to chat to her. Well done for the archive of brochures, really interesting bits of info there. Eye of Ra, sorry if I was a bit vague, I hadn't seen your post to say you were coming so I didn't realise who you were, thought you were a friend of dcwalker, but really pleased you made it even though your white machine and mine were stuck in the renovation stage.
Martinmc, I don't know how you managed to get that child seat fitted, but well done, and good luck to you and your Mrs with no 2. Gentlegiant, I'm really glad you managed to fit the pub in to your girlfriend's birthday treat, I hope she didn't mind the shift of focus.
I have yet to check my photos, my laptop is playing silly b s and things are quite hectic here. Al's GT goes in for servicing and various niggles tomorrow, then hopefully Ill get some pics posted up.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Mon May 08, 2017 7:13 am

Rachel wrote:This really was a great day. So many lovely 480's and all with interesting stories. A beautiful setting too. Thank you so much Syliva for all of the organising. It was great to meet you all - and the cars, names and plates I seen for so long and now I've met them!

I really enjoyed the convoy. If only there were none of those other cars about! Ade and I certainly kept the convoy going in fine style into the night with some very flamboyant driving done down the motorway! My 480 was feeling fine and was having so much fun, she still had more but I got the fear a bit and I also had my son telling me off!! They don't half love going fast don't they!! Ade, I'd be well up for a track day, and thanks again for the running repair....the paper did the trick. I did encounter some light rain and it held out well. I'll be sure to do a more permanent repair this week. Your a star, thanks. Like you said it was great there wasn't any other problems with the 480's. They all ran sweet :hopping:

We ;) really should do this again at some point soon. I know there are more people on the fb pages who'd love to have been there too.

You won't see that many green cars on an average day!
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon May 08, 2017 8:11 am

Thank you to everyone for Saturday - we had a great time and it was excellent to actually meet you all, put faces to names, and see cars for real that have so often just been pictures!

Particular thanks to Sylvia for all her organisation: the scenery was excellent, the drives over the Snake and Woodhead Passes well worth it, and the dinner great to round off the day. Pleased to hear everyone got home safely!

Glad people found the brochures interesting, so I can show Lee it isn't just me! Jeff, jealousy is an ugly emotion and I have checked that Lily is still all there :wink: ; even so, James I am very jealous of that 480 book!! Rachel, your 480 is the best colour I have seen, and David you must get yours back on the road asap - not sure we can allow another non-480 next time :wink:. Will/Al, getting three BRG GTs together is quite an achievement I think!

Anyway, I hope we can do it all again and soon. Pics to follow once I get this post safely up (is it just me that has been having huge problems getting onto this site in the last 48 hours or so?)

Best wishes to all

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Rachel
480 Is my middle name

Post by Rachel » Mon May 08, 2017 9:56 am

jamescarruthers wrote:Image

Polished up too! Ran out of time for the insides. Will hoover in the morning.

Maybe next time we could go and visit poorly or in-work 480's on our adventures.
James, your 480 is lovely :D
'95 Storm Grey 323 Manual Turbo, Richmod
----------------------------------------------------------
'95 Flame Red Celeb, Nos.191, 2 litre, LPG, used to be Adams ;) SOLD
'95 Vase Green Turbo~ Vanessa~ 'Serendipity' manual, Richmod. RIP
'90 Light Blue 480 Turbo auto....RIP
'68 VW Type 3 1.6 auto Lotus White,Swedish import. SOLD
Audi 80 coupe Gold...pimp my ride! RIP
'76 Bug, Ocean Blue, lowered, Empi wheels.RIP
'72 Bay window VW Camper 1600 twinport. Sold

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon May 08, 2017 11:40 am

According to How many left, there's 22 taxed GT's on the road.

So we had 13.636363636363635% of them on the trip!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon May 08, 2017 11:45 am

jifflemon wrote:According to How many left, there's 22 taxed GT's on the road.

So we had 13.636363636363635% of them on the trip!
Impressive statistic - sounds like, before next time, we need to start chasing down the other owners then!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon May 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Here are my photos. I took individual pics of all the cars EXCEPT sorry guys, I missed martinmc and gentlegiant's - hang my head in shame ! :cryhard:

Some of the pics look quite blurry now, I have the originals which are bigger and much clearer so if anyone wants any just pm me your email address.
cheers
Sylvia

hubby has

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon May 08, 2017 6:57 pm

There is a meet of the Volvo Enthusiasts Club at Harvington Hall (nr Kidderminster) early next month - Al and I plan to go. It's open to all Volvo owners so everyone is welcome. No idea how many 480s will be there, but if we started from Norfolk and picked up a few more along the way it would be great !
Sylvia

hubby has

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon May 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Nice pics Sylvia - I wondered what you were up to when I saw you crouching down going along the row of cars!

Thanks again for organising - will give the possibility of Kidderminster some thought...

David

Ade

Post by Ade » Mon May 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Here's some more pics of the day to add to the gallery :D

They all look so lovely :) Loving all the other pics as well people and another big thank you to Sylvia and Al for planning and executing a great day for us all. Sylvia is definitely a born organiser :lol:

Agreed that we need to arrange more 480 meets and I'm sure we could conceive some interesting ideas for fun stuff to do. Maybe think about more publicity next time too, try and get more cars out of hiding, I'm hearing facebook, I don't really bother with it personally but that's surely a starting point? It would be quite something to track down the remaining GT's, and others of course.

Sylvia- the little teacup :rofl: It should have been a big oily mug :)

Rachel- Love the photo down the middle of ours together, you can see each car and the wheels it's wearing nicely reflected in the other, the two dark lowered ones look good like that, old and new turbos side by side :) And weren't they just superb fun to drive back in :wink: sublime finish to a great day.

Jeff- Like the 'workshop meet' idea :D Well up for mucking in on a 480 in need and thanks for the WD40 freebie, it was a nice thought.

Everyone- I had fun meeting you all and seeing your cars, it was intriguing to meet some of the few other people that see something special in the 480, cars like these always have interesting owners and stories :lol: May your 480's serve you well until they meet again...
O.C. 480 D.

Ade

Post by Ade » Mon May 08, 2017 8:36 pm

What's the date for the Kidderminster one Sylvia? Please :) Weekend?
O.C. 480 D.

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Mon May 08, 2017 9:00 pm

[quote="dcwalker"]Thank you to everyone for Saturday - we had a great time and it was excellent to actually meet you all, put faces to names, and see cars for real that have so often just been pictures!

Particular thanks to Sylvia for all her organisation: the scenery was excellent, the drives over the Snake and Woodhead Passes well worth it, and the dinner great to round off the day. Pleased to hear everyone got home safely!

Glad people found the brochures interesting, so I can show Lee it isn't just me! Jeff, jealousy is an ugly emotion and I have checked that Lily is still all there :wink: ; even so, James I am very jealous of that 480 book!! Rachel, your 480 is the best colour I have seen, and David you must get yours back on the road asap - not sure we can allow another non-480 next time :wink:. Will/Al, getting three BRG GTs together is quite an achievement I think!

Anyway, I hope we can do it all again and soon. Pics to follow once I get this post safely up (is it just me that has been having huge problems getting onto this site in the last 48 hours or so?)

Best wishes to all

Skip is on the road but needs attention which is being provided as we speak. I have yet to hear from the garage so "no news good news?"

According to the DVLA we are down to 5 Turbo Auto on the road in the UK so another reason for Skip to be the best one :)
1993 Turbo auto called Skip for the important stuff
2011 Juke 190 for everything else

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 pm

frenchfries wrote:Skip is on the road but needs attention which is being provided as we speak. I have yet to hear from the garage so "no news good news?"

According to the DVLA we are down to 5 Turbo Auto on the road in the UK so another reason for Skip to be the best one :)
Depends how you want to read the stats, but yup, I'm thinking of applying to WWF as we're getting close to being an endangered species! :bla:

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue May 09, 2017 2:06 pm

Kidderminster meet is with Volvo Enthusiasts Club - info from their website -

4th June, 2017 ‘Volvo Enthusiasts Club National Gathering & Founders Day’
To be held at Harvington Hall near Kidderminster, Worcestershire – a Moated Medieval and Elizabethan manor-house with wall paintings and the finest series of priests hiding holes in the country built in the 1580’s www.harvingtonhall.com – ALL Volvo Owners, enthusiasts and friends welcome to come along from 11.30am onwards - The Volvo Enthusiasts Club National Day Out which this year will also celebrate Volvo’s 90th Birthday – for more information contact kevinprice.vec@btinternet.com

If anyone else fancies joining us, please do. We'll be travelling from Norfolk via the A14 so perhaps we could meetup along the way for a small convoy waving the flag for 480s. :D
Sylvia

hubby has

WRDendy

Post by WRDendy » Wed May 10, 2017 4:21 pm

A couple of days late, but many thanks to Sylvia and Al for an absolutely brilliant day - great choice of locations, roads and destinations and superb organization in every respect.
As others have said, it was great to put faces to the names on the forums, and obviously it was a treat to see so many brilliant cars in the same place at the same time!

Some highlights for me:
- Three green GTs at the same time - now I know what I look like both from behind and in the mirrors!
- Having nearly one of each UK variant (just the two tone missing I think?)
- Seeing a couple of early cars - brought back fond memories of my old ES with its chunky wing mirrors and 2-spoke wheel, not to mention those gloriously comfortable cloth seats! Now I need a bigger driveway and another car :wall:

Here are a few pictures that I took, nothing really new, mainly just the same things from different angles:

(Click for the big version - anyone feel free to photoshop out the Golf :sick: )

Shiny cars!

I nearly drove away in the wrong car on more than one occasion...

Doesn't happen often...

Final stop
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

Rachel
480 Is my middle name

Post by Rachel » Wed May 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Some great photos here. I have some more of the Snake Pass and will sort them out soon.

@ Ade, I thought you'd like that shot, and yes they were so much fun on the way home! :hopping:

Love that curvy shot, such a shame about the golf! I hope some one can photoshop it out!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed May 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Some great photos Will, thanks.

I am (sadly!) excited to see a photo of Lily on the move (glad all rear lights were working OK!). I also now know what I look like in a mirror (with a DLR out, of course :wink: ).

The picture of our cars together is like twins - yes, I had to stop Lee heading off to yours on one occasion as well with the comment "I don't know where you're going, but I'm taking this one..."

It really was good to meet everybody - please let's do something together again soon!

David

Rachel
480 Is my middle name

Post by Rachel » Wed May 17, 2017 5:28 pm

I do have some great convoy shots to share but I'm having big problems posting. Every time I get to submitting them I get the 'forbidden screen' and then I can't load the site. Oh and then photo bucket was down too. I will keep trying though. :?