:::: New 480 2007 Main Meet ::::

Discussions about meetings, both organised by us and by others, can take place here. If you want to organise a meeting yourself, this is the place to start! If you want to inform everyone of a meeting no one might know, feel free to post it here too.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

:::: New 480 2007 Main Meet ::::

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi people.

Right, before we start, i'd just like to point out a few things.

- This is my first time organising a meet of any kind-so i've been as thorough as i possibly can. If i have missed anything out, then let me know and i'll adjust things accordingly.

- I have been quite forthright with the dates, but i've made the final descision based on the openings we have had from the parties involved.

- By no way shape or form have i tried to be a 'Hero' by continuing to organise this: the descision was made purely because i wanted to go to a main meet this year, and unfortunately it was cancelled. I just want to meet up with others and have a good time! :)

- The final dates are now confirmed as: 17th, 18th & 19th August 2007

Right, now to the details.

I tried to find a campsite that was well equipped. I contacted several campsites around the area, but was turned down on various occasions. This seemed to be because we are a car club. Pissed off a little, i continued the search and found the Camping and Carvanning Club. You can laugh, as i did too. www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk

I contacted them and told them who we were etc etc. They came back to me with a location and the following prices:

Price per Adult per night: £8.80
Price per Child per night: £2.35

I appreciate that these prices aren't exactly cheap, but they are the best i can get, so apologies in advance. This means if you are there the Fri & Sat on your own it's going to cost you £17.60...eep! 2 people for 2 nights £35.20. Still cheaper than a hotel mind, and they have wavered the non-member discount (which would have been an extre £5.50 p/p).

N.B. If pricing is a problem, then let me know-however, this was the cheapest i could find.

Unfortunately they are unable to do a group discount, however, the site does have loads of amenities. Showers, Toilets, Washing facilities, Electric, BBQ area :D etc etc. All these are obviously free once on site.

I am fully aware that not all will want to camp, so there is a list of B&B's here.

The plan for Saturday is as follows:

A visit to 'Car's of the Stars' in Keswick ( www.carsofthestars.com ) in the morning. If you visit the website, the info is all there. Prices for this are £4.00 p/adult and £3.00 p/child. However, there is a small discount if we all go, which would be £3.60/£2.70 (Adult/Child).

In the afternoon, there is a planned drive. One that i'm told is quite good (by the Cumbria tourist board). Here is the original text from the email:
We have produced a booklet called the Keswick and the
Western lake District Group Guide, which has an itinerary for Keswick,
which includes a drive over Honister Pass. A beautiful scenic route
would be to do Keswick, Honister Pass, Buttermere and possibly Newlands
Valley, then back to Keswick.
I've checked the map and it looks like a nice easy drive. I also have a list of Pub's on the way: i had suggested that we wanted to stop for Picnic/Pub food/Leg stretch etc, and the manager gave me some Pubs/stops en route.
It's a nice route you suggest and although some of the roads
are narrow, there should be no problem. If they wanted something a
little longer, they could ignore the Newlands Valley and head for
Lorton, then the Whinlatter Pass and back to Keswick A good place for a
photo would be the National Trust car park at Seatoller, right in the
middle of Borrowdale's mountains. It might be busy though. An
alternative would be the car park at Honister but they should check with
Barry Surtees first. In fact, any of the pay and display car parks along
the Borrowdale Valley will provide good backdrops. Pub stop options
include: Yew Tree, Seatoller(parking in the NT car park nearby; bar of
the Bridge hotel, Buttermere (own car park); or the Royal Oak,
Braithwaite
I'm happy to determine a route on the day-see how people feel and how far they are prepared to travel etc.

I aim to be back about 5pm. This gives us the opportunity to hit the local supermarket for food for the BBQ, and for people to nap (i like my afternoon naps...old man :lol:), freshen up etc.

Light the BBQ about 7pm, get the beers out, eat and just chill out. Then lights out whenever...

Sunday morning is obviously pack up and go home time.

So there we have it. To secure the campsite i will need a deposit. I'll need names of the people coming and a deposit from each. If you want to send one full nights payment in advance (£8.80 X 'x' amount of people) then you're more than welcome, if not i will need a minimum £5 for each head.

The site need's to be reserved asap, so the sooner people commit and get the deposit in the better. Due to the fact i'm going to be unemployed in 2 weeks (unless something comes up first), i cannot afford to pay the deposit out of my own pocket-so if you want to come you will have to cough up in advance! Deadline for deposit is Monday 25th June. Any problems let me know, but the deposit date is set by the campsite!

If people can confirm to me via PM that they are coming, i'll update the list below so we can have a running total.

So there you have it people. Sorry if it's not to everyones budget, but thats all i could muster up i'm afraid! Hope it's all to everybody's liking...I'm pretty nervous about how this is going to turn out! :scared:

Dan :D
  • :: Confirmed People ::

-Daniel & Shaneeka
    -JohnTurbo + 1
    -Roo
    -Tony
    -Kev
    -Ross
    -Owen + 1
    -Macaroon + 1
    -BarnsleyGT + 2
    -Murf
    -VDG
    -RGreenhalf + 1
    -Stu & Sue Chacks
    -Andy & Allie (friends of the above)
--- As of Monday 16th July 2007 there are no more places. Sorry Folks! The above list is final ---
Last edited by Dan the 480 Man on Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 17 times in total.
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:55 pm

Good luck! I'll still be in Oz, so I won't be able to come.
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:44 pm

Id like to come with my Barn matey!

Wont be in a 480 this year though..

:hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:47 pm

As this site has controlled access do guests have to pay for a card key to get in?

2001 V70

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:56 pm

Good question... I'll have to find out. The person dealing with our booking is away until the 25th, so i won't get a response until then!
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:00 pm

Ok will watch this space

2001 V70

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:39 pm

I'll be there. I'll try and drag my lovely other 50% too.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:02 pm

Well done Dan! Image
I'll be there too, just me myself and I. In what i dont know... but will sort you out with the full amount next friday (Payday :D )
Just a quick point, you say the deadline for the campsite is the 25th August....

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:32 pm

Roo wrote:Just a quick point, you say the deadline for the campsite is the 25th August....
Noted and edited! :D

Darren
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Darren » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:08 pm

I'm really pushing to get to this meet!

I've been checking ferry prices but they arn't great at the minute. I'm going to keep searching and hopefully get myself a decent deal.

These are the major ferry ports, against the driving time to Windermere for me. The driving is all part of the adventure!

Fleetwood (1h 30mins)
Birkenhead (1h 45mins)
Stranraer (3h 15mins)
Holyhead (3h 30mins)

If all goes to plan, I hope to get a ferry overnight Thursday/Friday, and then home again overnight Sunday/Monday.

I'll get a confirmation back as soon as. :volvo:
[b]Make:[/b] Volvo � [b]Model:[/b] 480 S � [b]Year:[/b] 1995 � [b]Colour[/b]: Black Met. � [b]Engine[/b]: 1721cc

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/thisismyminiadventure/V480S/sigavatar/480S_Downhill.jpg[/img]

Loki
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Loki » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:40 am

Well done Dan. Count me n my dad in. U have PM

Loki
93, 480 S - 235 red - In Volvo heaven
95, 480 ES - 235 red - Resting - Being reborn!!! :D
99, S70 T5 ex-police - In Volvo heaven
90, 740 Turbo (T5 turbo, Racing CAM + more) - silver - Stolen :(
94, 480 Turbo - 235 red - JT's old car ;)

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:31 pm

Well, i just made the mistake of doing a route planner :lol: 700 mile round trip for me and a 6 hour drive there. No fear! :scared:

Looking promising so far-10 people but only 4 x 480's (unless JT gets his down).

We need more! I see more 480's in scrapyards :lol: Got a bundle of info through the post today from the Cumbria tourist board-with some suggested itineries, but even the initial drive that was proposed looks really good-lots of nice scenery etc. Quite looking forward to this :D

:cheers: to the people who have confirmed, shame on those that haven't ;)

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:02 pm

I MAY be in a 480, time will tell...

kev
480 Rookie

2007 meet

Post by kev » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:01 pm

Hi Dan,
Glad to see confirmed dates ,makes things easy. I`ll be there
with some beer vouchers to keep up the correct lubrication levels.
Cheers Kev

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by owen080808 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:19 pm

Sounds like fun, i'd like to come. convoy from glasgow anyone?
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:21 pm

owen080808 wrote:Sounds like fun, i'd like to come. convoy from glasgow anyone?
Confirm your going and i'll join ya. :D Cant say what i'll be in mind you...

Chris_C
Started learning about 480

Post by Chris_C » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:05 pm

The campsite at Windemere if it's the Nat Trust one is awesome (sounds it if you need card entry to the barrier)

Normal people (i.e. non group) get a card each included, I went with the gf last summer, camping really is right on the edge of the lake if you get the right pitch ;)

Cars of the stars museum is also good, some very interesting cars, although no photography is allowed inside.

Have a good meet guys, might have a 480 and come along ;)

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:56 pm

hi, not had time to read the whole thread, or check how my shifts land ... but i'll most likely up for it ... but I posted this on the original thread ...
This was the website i used when i went to the lakes last summers ...

Lake District Camping Website

usually, if the camp site isn't linked from this site, you can 'google' the name and it comes up!
... Just incase it is still of use!

Ross
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:21 am

Forget Cars of the Stars (which looks ace!), You had me sold on "BBQ area!".
Dan the 480 Man wrote: The final dates are now confirmed as: 17th, 18th & 19th August 2007
suits me perfect shift wise! ;)
owen080808 wrote:convoy from glasgow anyone?
yup, that'd be ace! i've just to confirm with the quinnie first before i PM Dan!
Darren wrote:I've been checking ferry prices but they are not great at the minute. I'm going to keep searching and hopefully get myself a decent deal.
@ Darren. In Glasgow at the moment on big bill boards they are advertising StenaLine Belfast to Stranraer for £50 single (car + driver) ... but looking on the site, looks like a bit of a con, can't see any £50 trips, nor is there any mention of the 'deal' on the homepage! Give them a phone and kick up stink! :lol: bring back the Sea Cat any day huh?!

If your a member of the AA (or know a member), the members club does discount ferries sometimes, worth a look anyway! I hope you manage to sort something out ...
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i

Darren
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Darren » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:04 am

piper1st wrote:@ Darren. In Glasgow at the moment on big bill boards they are advertising StenaLine Belfast to Stranraer for £50 single (car + driver) ... but looking on the site, looks like a bit of a con, can't see any £50 trips, nor is there any mention of the 'deal' on the homepage! Give them a phone and kick up stink! :lol: bring back the Sea Cat any day huh?!
Ferry companies are great at offering deals, that is, until you get down to the small print. :angry:

It looks like Belfast to Stranraer now, especially after I've just sourced a 10% off code! :lol: It really suits too, as it's only a few hours crossing and we'll arrive early Friday morning, and depart early Sunday evening.

Dan, what payment method suits you? Paypal, cheque? I'll sort you out for two people as soon as, but don't confirm me on the above list until I have ferry booked. :)
[b]Make:[/b] Volvo � [b]Model:[/b] 480 S � [b]Year:[/b] 1995 � [b]Colour[/b]: Black Met. � [b]Engine[/b]: 1721cc

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/thisismyminiadventure/V480S/sigavatar/480S_Downhill.jpg[/img]