Volvo 2020 second record attempt.....

Discussions about meetings, both organised by us and by others, can take place here. If you want to organise a meeting yourself, this is the place to start! If you want to inform everyone of a meeting no one might know, feel free to post it here too.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: Volvo 2020 second record attempt.....

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:34 pm

Having agreed on a meeting place to convoy with Richard (long term member Richmann1), we set off to meet him from the Travelodge we'd stayed in with me in the lead in Snazzy, and Al following in Sven.

Al's dashcam also captured the moment when I'd turned left on a roundabout and was immediately followed by a black 480 which seemed to come out of nowhere and neatly inserted itself between us.

We all pulled into a quiet side road - I wanted to check it wasn't a stranger and we'd met Richard early, which we had - talk about good timing ! His 480 is a German Turbo Collection (their equivalent of our Celebration, but available with a choice of engine). He's not bothered about it being lhd as he only uses it as a toy. He's had it since 2004, almost as long as I've had Snazzy.

After a coffee stop, Richard took the lead as he knows the area. This time it's my dashcam providing pictures - Christmas present from Al

This year we drove straight in with no queue

Setting off on the first run.

We shall have to wait and see if we got the record.

Over to the phone's photos -
Here we are parked up ready for the off

I asked Richard if it was him that took his car to the Nurburgring and it was - only driven round carefully just to say he'd done it. Apparently it's just like going into a carpark - stop at the barrier, pay at a machine and off you go.

1350 cars were booked, but only about 900 arrived on the day - we didn't see any of the European cars, presumably due to the pandemic restrictions. There also seemed to be fewer 480s, although we did spot Rachel's car but no sign of her. I think she was there twice and driving her C30 !

This is Georgina's car with the distinctive yellow pinstripes

Sharon from the facebook group was there, we had the opportunity to chat to her several times. At one point between runs, I found myself parked right next to her. Hopefully she'll make our next meeting.

Had to laugh at this - obviously well prepared for any breakdowns

I stopped to talk to a father and son with a black 1.7 ES which they'd bought from ebay 6 weeks earlier. The son was approaching his 17th birthday and keen to have a 480, but they'd looked for a good one for months before this one appeared down in Devon. As soon as they saw it they set off to view, 8 hours later it was sold and taken off ebay. After me eulogising about the club and telling them about the replacement lenses, dad was keen to join so hopefully we shall soon have another new member's thread to enjoy.

Looks great doesn't it - solid wheel arches too.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: Volvo 2020 second record attempt.....

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:07 pm

Woopee - we got the record ! 807 cars did the procession correctly, of which 4 were disqualified for having show plates and 3 for not completing the course, so it was exactly 800. Just sent off for our certificates which will be lovely to have for our car's document wallets.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any