"The big you-name-it" topics, your thoughts please

If we want to announce something, like a good update of the website, we will do it here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Do you think having "The big you-name-it topics" are a good idea?

Yes! I might even write one myself every now and then!
53%
Yes, please do, but I doubt I will ever write such a topic.
21%
Not sure, I leave it up to the rest and will later decide if I will write such topics.
16%
No. (please reply below to tell us why not)
11%

Total votes: 19

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

"The big you-name-it" topics, your thoughts please

Post by coyote1980 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:10 am

Hi everyone,

I am also a big fan of the (worldfamous in Holland ;) ) Tweakers.net website. Their forums are well-maintained, look orderly and information you want to find can be found quite well.

There was one thing that I liked especially on their forums and that are "the big you-name-it topics". It is all in dutch, but here is a link you can visit to get an idea of what I am going to describe...

Link to a tweakers.net forum
Link to "the big BF2 topic - part IX

OK, I will try to explain the beauty of this with an example: the CEM

Someone starts a "The big CEM topic - part I" topic. The opening post in this topic will contain all currently known information on the CEM, like: what is a CEM, what does CEM mean, what functions are regulated through the CEM.

Following the basic CEM information links are placed with as title the problem that was covered in that other thread. This way someone can quickly find a solution to that previous problem.

At the end links are added to previous "big CEM topics", this way someone can easily travel to a previous "big CEM topic". After a while when new insights have become available a new "big CEM topic" starts. All the usefull information you can derive from messages in the previous part can be added to the openingpost of the new topic, and someone that wants to talk about the CEM doesn't have to struggle through pages filled with CEM talk.

At the moment this is just an idea. It will only work if there is enough interest on the forum to make an attempt to get this on the road. The idea is that forum members can start "big you-name-it topics" themselves once the guidelines for these posts have been exactly specified. Each opening-post for any subject should have the same structure, so that is something that should be thought of before we start this. But it is only worth investing time if, as I said, enough people like the idea.

So I invite everyone to answer the poll and reply here if you have anything to contribute to this subject :D
Last edited by coyote1980 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:15 pm

I don't get it :?

2001 V70

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:29 pm

Me neither....
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:40 pm

You want us to play war games? :?

anyways you mean like we load the forum and want to know how to lower the car and Chris1roll has done a full guide complete with pictures of how it's done, Step by step and you click the link and then we know

That sort of thing?
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:41 am

huh?

i like it the way it is.......
rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:50 am

OK, I see that my suggestion hasn't been clear for everyone. @everyone that doesn't understand, could you please explain what part of the idea you don't understand? That would help when I try to further explain.

The forum wouldn't change much, things pretty much stay the way they are, but for most 'commonly troublesome' parts a thread of their own would exist. The CEM was just an example. Also a 'The big bad idling topic' could exist, for instance. The person that starts a "the big you-name-it" topic would have to combine lots of knowledge from the forum into a big starting-post. This new thread is then used as the only topic for that subject. After a while, when people have posted enough that same person (or another one if that person doesn't want to do it again) can start a 'Part II" with the same subject. He can write a new opening-post for that thread or use the previous opening post and add all important knowledge from the previous thread.

This idea is quite clever. Someone new on the forum can read simply that thread if, in case of a "The BIG CEM topic", he has a problem with the CEM and posess all knowledge that exists. If it is not helping him he can use the thread to post messages to get HIS problem solved. When a new "The Big ..." topic begins his problem and solution can be implemented in the starting post. This goes on and on with several topics which should make it easier to solve a problem.

For those that still have no idea if this would be a good idea: I could start one of these topics so everyone can exactly see what I mean.
Daniël Wilten

98kellrs
480 Expert

Post by 98kellrs » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:16 pm

ah i get ya! But i don't know enough to do something like that.. :cryhard:
Ryan.

1992 480 ES, 110k, Paris blue, custom SS side-exit exhaust, De-catted, custom fibreglass lightweight bonnet, custom fibreglass front spoiler, stripped interior, Slate Black textured metal paint throughout, Cobra Imola S drivers Seat, Ricco 4 point 3 inch harness, Magnecor KV85 leads.

Current Status: A very impressive track car. :-D

MrHyde
Started learning about 480

Post by MrHyde » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:51 pm

I don't think that there's much knowledge needet, just time and some detectives work to extract all the information on one subject from the forum and put it in one posting.
Lots of work but nice to have when its done

hauke
Fog Lamps, n.:
Excessively (often obnoxiously) bright lamps mounted on the fronts
of automobiles; used on dry, clear nights to indicate that the
driver's brain is in a fog. See also "Idiot Lights".

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:01 pm

MrHyde wrote:I don't think that there's much knowledge needed, just time and some detectives work
hauke
Indeed, you're absolutely right! It does help a bit to know 'some' things, but the more important thing is the search-function of the forum to locate valuable information. Heck, I will make start for a topic like this soon, will just take some time since I am not at home these days.
Daniël Wilten

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:43 pm

I think it's a good idea, to hold all knowledge on 1 topic in a single place to avoid trailing back though old posts. Think I may have mentioned it ages ago as i've sen it on other forums. Couldn't hurt and wouldn't change the working of the forum.

pol

SteveR
480 Veteran

Post by SteveR » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:40 pm

Yes good idea.
When tracking through threads you often see that somone has dealt with it before only several pages away and then it is only some one who remebrs it and links it which saves hors of searching.
Steve Robson
---------------
This was my K Reg 2L LtdEdn TwoTone - now sold
At Nurburgring (pic Suddy)

No longer a 480 owner :-(

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:12 pm

Something like an FAQ and FYI (for your information) combined

Good idea!
Volvo 480 ES, chassis 283, dec 1999-aug 2005
Nissan Micra 1.0 Nismo, feb 2006-
Rover Mini 1000, june 2009-
Peugeot 106 1.4 Roland Garros, oct 2011-

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:15 pm

will new people still join/post if the answer is that easy to find?

posting and getting answers to there question is one way for people to stay and enjoy things on the forum :D
Audi TT

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:30 am

martinholmesuk wrote:posting and getting answers to there question is one way for people to stay and enjoy things on the forum :D
The problem is that if a newbie doesn't use the search function and simply posts his question the only answer he will get is 'use the bloody search function'. That's hardly motivating to join ;)

And if a certain topic doesn't bring the answer he can simply reply in that topic and still join :)
Daniël Wilten

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:41 am

OK, that works
Audi TT

volviz

Post by volviz » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:55 am

Ettore Bugatti wrote:Something like an FAQ and FYI (for your information) combined

Good idea!
Agree :D
Image&ImageImage

stu chacks

Post by stu chacks » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:59 pm

Gotta be a good idea. Although I like trawling through posts (to while away the hours at work!) sometimes it can be fustrating when you know you've seen something but can't find it.
Stu.

suddy
480 Is my middle name

Post by suddy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:56 pm

only glanced over this thread, but,

havn't we already got an FAQ for this idea on the main site?

it would be alot of faffing about for the techies in order to get all relavant infomation about a topic into one thread. (only thinking of your time lads)

imho, if you've got the time, then do it. but i wouldn't go out of your way as i am happy the way it is....
1995 480 S 2.0 237,000 Miles

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:34 am

It's not bad the way it is now, and the last two weeks (and the rest of this week) I am not at home behind my computer so have to sneak here during work ;) And after July 30st I will be to Sweden for 3 weeks, so it will be some time before I can post the first topic and monitor it.

The FAQ is a good start when having a problem, but forum members don't write articles for the FAQ since they have no access to our server... With these topics it would be possible for people that suddenly have some spare time and miraculously a 480 without _any_ problems (:wink:) to gather useful data on a subject (for instance when they have just been working on that subject themselves) and put it in one topic.

Of course there are advantages (info-in-reach) and disadvantages (time-consuming) to this, so that is why I started this thread. I still believe it's worth the effort (to give it a try at least) and I had started on a CEM-topic back at home, but that will have to wait until after Sweden...
Daniël Wilten

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:48 pm

whats the reason behind this idea ?

you tried things before in this direction..

my replay to this was back then that noone comes to a pub that is made out of a steel bar with beer tap and empty concrete walls.. I meant : donot take out the silly things here, it will be a unpleasant forum then.. noone rreads a dictionary or enceclopedia for fun...

I agree this forum is getting monstoes proportions. any way

any good route in between is maybe a good option.. but donot change a winning team to much.

open for any good change any way to mine further uninportant oppinion.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen