"The big you-name-it" topics, your thoughts please

If we want to announce something, like a good update of the website, we will do it here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Do you think having "The big you-name-it topics" are a good idea?

Yes! I might even write one myself every now and then!
53%
Yes, please do, but I doubt I will ever write such a topic.
21%
Not sure, I leave it up to the rest and will later decide if I will write such topics.
16%
No. (please reply below to tell us why not)
11%

Total votes: 19

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:54 am

volvofox wrote:whats the reason behind this idea ?

you tried things before in this direction..

my replay to this was back then that noone comes to a pub that is made out of a steel bar with beer tap and empty concrete walls.. I meant : donot take out the silly things here, it will be a unpleasant forum then.. noone rreads a dictionary or enceclopedia for fun...
Hi Jean Paul,

1) The reason behind this idea was to come up with a way that avoids creating 40 topics about (for instance) the info-center.

2) I have made ONE change to the forum and that was to create several tech-fora about specific subjects. I still believe this was a good choice and has not resulted in the forum getting less-readable and less-enjoyable.

3) How do you see the change I proposed to discuss change the forum from a 'pub in its current state' to 'the sterile pub you describe'? Look, I don't mind a good metaphore, but I challenge you to argument this choice for a metaphore. Maybe you misunderstood the idea: people are encouraged to chat about things. But when it comes down to a specific reoccuring problem such as the info-center I favor a single thread about the subject where people can discuss this issue and have all the known information by hand in the opening post. As soon as the entire thread has lived for months and holds more and more useful information the following could/should happen:
- the old thread is locked
- a new thread is started
- the new thread will have an opening post which is the old opening post PLUS usefull data from the previous thread.

As said it's just an idea, I have seen it work miracles on other forums as long as people are willing to spent some time creating these kinds of threads.

So to come back to the point where you seem to fear this forum would loose it's chatterbox-interface: that won't happen.

Hope this cleared some things up, not wanting to push anyone into liking the idea but do want that if people don't like it they dislike it for a good reason.
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

JayTee
480 Expert

Post by JayTee » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:57 am

I might be a bit late reading this but I like the idea and have seen similar
elsewhere
There's a bit of 480 in all of us

http://img46.photobucket.com/albums/v140/JayTee7774/

Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by 2127 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:15 am

Hi,

To avoid losing time searching for the right topic, it might be enough to create a separate section with an overview of all the relevant topics. Sort them alphabetically or otherwise and hyperlink them. Something like this was done at the 480TeamBelgium forum and it works quite well. It's simple and it doesn't ask too much trouble maintaining it. Furthermore, an important part of the things we learn comes from the interaction, from talking or writing to one another. Don't ask why the the brain works this way, it just does. And a big part of the interaction will be salvaged on the way to the ultimate "discussion" on every topic. You might say that there's a lot of dead fright passing along, but that's the price to pay, I guess!

Peter
Less is often more.