ANNOUNCEMENT: It has begon, fora will be re-categorized.

If we want to announce something, like a good update of the website, we will do it here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

ANNOUNCEMENT: It has begon, fora will be re-categorized.

Post by coyote1980 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:45 am

The following weeks / months / as long as it takes will be spent on cleaning and moving threads.

I will try to lock posting new threads in the old technical forum and only allow replying to existing threads over there, should be doable ;)

Good luck, I will also rewrite the charters for the new fora sometime soon. But it should be quite clear without a charter what can and can't be posted in each forum.

Happy posting and Happy New Year! :D

Daniël
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:18 pm

PLEASE KEEP IT AS IT IS !!!!!!!!

reason :

it will loose its atractivity...

no one will have the time to dig through all the seperate topics every day... and if one doesn't, the fun, and number of posts will drop soon !

for clearnes (overzicht) its maybe better to improve the accesability and use of the search machine better !

Never change a winning team... there is no reason to change something just for the sake of change..

please, stop this... at least explain!!!!!!
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:25 pm

volvofox wrote:PLEASE KEEP IT AS IT IS !!!!!!!!

reason :

it will loose its atractivity...

no one will have the time to dig through all the seperate topics every day... and if one doesn't, the fun, and number of posts will drop soon !

for clearnes (overzicht) its maybe better to improve the accesability and use of the search machine better !

Never change a winning team... there is no reason to change something just for the sake of change..

please, stop this... at least explain!!!!!!
sorry. I missed, like most people else the vote about changing the forum..BECAUSE THE AUNOUNCEMENT TOPIC WAS SPLIT UP FROM GENERAL A WHILE AGO !!!!!

(sorry for shouting)

noone with work and a social life is able to read all the sub items every day......
stating " the majority has spoken" is at least a bit " overtaken" :angry:
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:58 pm

Well, it was something that was in the pipeline a bit longer and to see if people would really object to it I decided to have a poll in the "announcements / club issues" forum.
volvofox wrote:sorry. I missed, like most people else the vote about changing the forum..BECAUSE THE AUNOUNCEMENT TOPIC WAS SPLIT UP FROM GENERAL A WHILE AGO !!!!!

(sorry for shouting)
It has not been split from "general discussions" at all, it wouldn't belong there and has never been there as moving the threads to a new location (better categorized) is a club thingie and not a 480 thingie.

The argument that it will take more time to read all the threads, well... The total number of posts on the forum will not grow dramatically. And even if so it would only make the forum even more lively. The extra time will be consumed with waiting for more categories to be loaded by your browser, depending on your Internet connection you are looking at max. 2 more minutes of browsing per day.

Because this forum is not a chatbox but is becoming an information databank for Volvo 480 enthusiasts it should be well categorized as it will be harder to find the appropriate threads. Relocating threads gives us the opportunity to remove threads that contain no valuable information. It also helps to get the threads about a certain subject "my info-centre doesn't work part 123.882.232" closer together. People that are new can more easily find a thread about this subject, read it, try the solution in that thread and add a reply to that thread with the things they tried and problems they are still looking at.

The following should no longer be an option:
- Have problem
- Google --> Hey, Volvo 480 Forum...
- Visit forum and click start new thread
- Post short message saying "my info centre doesn't work"
- Hoping someone will have said something useful in a week
- Never see the guy again

This is a Volvo 480 Community, meaning people help each other finding solutions for problems, not dumping your problem at someone elses lap and run off... The following sounds more ideal to me:
- Have problem
- Google --> Hey, Volvo 480 Forum
- Visit forum and use the SEARCH option, it's not that well hidden ;)
- Read threads with info on the subject
- When solution is not there or not complete, use the REPLY button to participate in an existing thread about your subject
- Give as much relevant info as possible, telling people things about your car, things you have done to get it solved and what exactly the problem is

I know that this last situation is often far from the reality with forum-users (not talking about the die-hards that do stick with the Nettiquette), but it would be nice if people direct newbies to the search funtion.

Well, I hope I made clear that restructuring the forum is not a bad way to go.

Kind regards,

Daniël
Daniël Wilten

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:20 pm

Well i think its good like this, for the reasons coyote has given, thankyou to all of you taking the time to sort it out. :D

one thing, Maybe when your finished, the "technical support" section could be below the "the volvo 480" section on the forum index, rather than above it, I just think it would be more logical that way.

Oh, and what are the numbers for? something for you mods i expect?

Chris
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:32 pm

chris1roll wrote:one thing, Maybe when your finished, the "technical support" section could be below the "the volvo 480" section on the forum index, rather than above it, I just think it would be more logical that way.
We'll think about it, but it should be clear for everyone (incl newbies) that general discussions etc. is not for problem solving ;)
chris1roll wrote:Oh, and what are the numbers for? something for you mods i expect?
Volvo has divided all documentation in categories, we decided to stick to the Volvo categories, so they are basically Volvos numbers.
Daniël Wilten

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:00 am

coyote1980 wrote:Well, it was something that was in the pipeline a bit longer and to see if people would really object to it I decided to have a poll in the "announcements / club issues" forum.
volvofox wrote:sorry. I missed, like most people else the vote about changing the forum..BECAUSE THE AUNOUNCEMENT TOPIC WAS SPLIT UP FROM GENERAL A WHILE AGO !!!!!

(sorry for shouting)
It has not been split from "general discussions" at all, it wouldn't belong there and has never been there as moving the threads to a new location (better categorized) is a club thingie and not a 480 thingie.
-----------------------------------------------------------
sorry, me too has been here longer. i know for sure, back in the times this site was blue, and full of oversight, that things like this were discussed in the general thing. The idea of making an anouncements department thing was ok as such.... but.. I just proofed my theory that , if you make subs on subs, you loose the over sight.

I fully recoignise the problem, i fully understood you from the beginning, but this is not the way, and create another problem : one cannot see the forrest because of all the threes any more. (sorry for all non dutch, not better translationable) what you people do is instead of repairing the leaky tap to prevent of time and again drying the floor..., you "catagorise" the water ..........., hehehe :lol:

it was to my humble oppinion much and much easier and better to improve the way and the attention the search machine gets.

--------------------------------------------------------
The argument that it will take more time to read all the threads, well...

By matter of fact, it does !

The total number of posts on the forum will not grow dramatically. And even if so it would only make the forum even more lively. The extra time will be consumed with waiting for more categories to be loaded by your browser, depending on your Internet connection you are looking at max. 2 more minutes of browsing per day.

there is nothing wrong with my pc or connection. Its the >>reading and oversight << i meant.

Because this forum is not a chatbox but is becoming an information databank for Volvo 480 enthusiasts it should be well categorized as it will be harder to find the appropriate threads.

---------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry. change the name please...! A club needs "talking". If i want to go to a pure and allone "bank" i go somewhere else.

Relocating threads gives us the opportunity to remove threads that contain no valuable information. It also helps to get the threads about a certain subject "my info-centre doesn't work part 123.882.232" closer together. People that are new can more easily find a thread about this subject, read it, try the solution in that thread and add a reply to that thread with the things they tried and problems they are still looking at.

The following should no longer be an option:
- Have problem

This is a Volvo 480 Community, meaning people help each other finding solutions for problems, not dumping your problem at someone elses lap and run off... The following sounds more ideal to me:
- Have problem
- Google --> Hey, Volvo 480 Forum
- Visit forum and use the SEARCH option, it's not that well hidden ;)
- Read threads with info on the subject
- When solution is not there or not complete, use the REPLY button to participate in an existing thread about your subject
- Give as much relevant info as possible, telling people things about your car, things you have done to get it solved and what exactly the problem is

------------------------------------------------------
I recognise the problem, but this is not the way. You completely missed my point.............-
--------------------------------------------------
I know that this last situation is often far from the reality with forum-users (not talking about the die-hards that do stick with the Nettiquette), but it would be nice if people direct newbies to the search funtion.

you can do this a week or two....., you get bored. I do it all the time... one gets bored if there is no clear redirection for "google" users to it !
---------------------------------------------------

btw. a thing like "netiquette " hahaha , don't let me lauch. Its a free world.! For therapy, anyone who suffers from it, should learn for instance how to type arab, and try "Osama bin laden" in google. :lol: (no offence meant to the ones who carry a very warm hart to this topic) -
---------------------------------------------------

Well, I hope I made clear that restructuring the forum is not a bad way to go.

Kind regards,

Daniël
sorry, no , by matter of fact you did not.
sorry if i got a bit bad tempered.
Please open your eyes ! you did soo well to this CLUB.
Donot ruin it in the end. Also safe yourselves and others a lot of work.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:06 am

Volvo has divided all documentation in categories, we decided to stick to the Volvo categories, so they are basically Volvos numbers.
so can we link our numbers back to volvo somehow?
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

iammart
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: It has begon, fora will be re-categorized.

Post by iammart » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:07 pm

coyote1980 wrote:The following weeks / months / as long as it takes will be spent on cleaning and moving threads.

I will try to lock posting new threads in the old technical forum and only allow replying to existing threads over there, should be doable ;)

Good luck, I will also rewrite the charters for the new fora sometime soon. But it should be quite clear without a charter what can and can't be posted in each forum.

Happy posting and Happy New Year! :D

Daniël
Hi Daniël/Adam,
Thanks for the hard work on the technical "fora" - hopefully this will keep it more organised and easier to browse. I visit another message board (Triumph TSSC) which has its technical areas categorised in a similar way, so that the forums don't expand quite so quickly!
Cheers! :D
Martin
-----------------------------------------
· '94 480 Turbo Auto ~ Paris Blue
· '71 Triumph GT6 Mk3
· Deep pockets :lol:

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:31 pm

sorry, no , by matter of fact you did not.
sorry if i got a bit bad tempered.
Please open your eyes ! you did soo well to this CLUB.
Donot ruin it in the end. Also safe yourselves and others a lot of work.

@ vfox, relax and even some time I think your life it.
Audi TT

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:02 pm

coyote1980 wrote:The following should no longer be an option:
- Have problem
and as an example of this
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/for ... php?t=5017
!!

rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:42 pm

robkendall wrote:
coyote1980 wrote:The following should no longer be an option:
- Have problem
and as an example of this
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/for ... php?t=5017
!!

rgrds
rob
Indeed....

A perfect example ;)

@volvofox, please don't type in the quote section as it makes it badly readable. Wasn't it possible to delete the first enormous post after you posted the second one?
And I do think this (restructuring) is the correct way to go, I hope time will prove me right ;)
Daniël Wilten

Jack Shit
480 Newbie

Post by Jack Shit » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:58 pm

It took even for me some time to acustom to the new form. I think it will be get better when all posts are put in the right place.

btw can wait for the day that members starts even posting partnumbers with their problems :crazy:

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:13 pm

the thread relocation is not to far from completion, I've been working on it for hours without stopping, its all been worth it :D

Adam

2001 V70

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:47 am

coyote1980 wrote:
@volvofox, please don't type in the quote section as it makes it badly readable. Wasn't it possible to delete the first enormous post after you posted the second one?
And I do think this (restructuring) is the correct way to go, I hope time will prove me right ;)

well, ok..

I am a preserver.

thats wy i drive the cars i drive against all odds for example.

I hate changes because of this.

just give me some time.

but if people don't like it, ( I might be one of them)
I guess there is no way back.

and then i have put all the 20 years experience of keeping old cars running, and the expertise i learned at the famous MTS auto mobile technogoly in apeldoorn for nothing in this.

refer to the number of post.

and don't give me shit like it was all bla bla.

If not for chared experience , it was for strengtening peoples harts in misery.

i am a much longer user of this forum as the date given as i said earlier. No sweat...

I did not like the was this club has develloped, as non continental people are given the cold shoulder just because they can't do what the bulk of UK people do to: Expres them selves in European-english.

@ the great coyote : this old fox says don't loose the dream you had founding this great club.

My critics are very simple : the readability will go down, as sortlike changes have done in the past. I see the problem too. but why not advise new people by matter of speaking with capitol letters very clear to use the search machine for simple, known problems ?

My job as a technical documentation manager-NL at a known global vehicle firm (John Deere) wasn't succesfull for nothing.

and yes, the first post i made wasn't deletable. I wasn't supposed to be allowed to write in this section either, as you know.

Sorry the long story. I hope time will say you didn't ruin my hobby helping you people out there.

Basta.

(......)
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:08 pm

Wow, that's a lot of reading ;)

To be honest I don't think you will mind the new layout once you've gotten used to it. If someone wants more info on a gearbox problem he's having he can now find all gearbox threads in a smaller category than the "in depth" category was. All in all people will be able to find threads about the problem they have more easily now.

Going back would be possible (technically, it would mean moving all threads back to "in depth" again. It's just a few more pages of threads we have to relocate and then we're done. And this operation wasn't performed just for the sake of change, we believe it makes the forum more valuable for everyone, just like you won't find the info on airco's in a Volvo Brakes service manual ;)

Just give it time, your input is appreciated and I hope you will keep posting and reading (not necessarily in that order though ;) )

Kind regards,

Daniël
Daniël Wilten

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:41 pm

:angel: thanks.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:11 am

Hurray!!! It has been done!! With a lot of thank-you for Adam for helping relocating all the threads in their new homes :D

I hope everyone(*) can appreciate the new layout for the forum and that lots of people in the future will be able to find a soluction for their problem much sooner!

(*)in time even the fox ;)
Daniël Wilten

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:48 am

hehehe :boom:
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:13 am

given time anyone can or be made to get used to it. I like now but not at the start.

hey i'm being honest about it.
Audi TT