Should the forum be more structured?

If we want to announce something, like a good update of the website, we will do it here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Should 'in-depth-technical' be split up?

Yes, this would make searching for common problems a lot easier!
43%
Yes, but not how you describe it, let me explain below...
21%
Maybe, I don't have an opinion on this.
7%
No, I like it the way it is.
14%
No way! I would have even more fora to browse through then!
14%

Total votes: 14

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Should the forum be more structured?

Post by coyote1980 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:16 am

I noticed that in the in-depth section there are several threads about the info centre, several threads about turbos, several questions about oil-pressure etc.

I was wondering if it would be wise to split up the in-depth-technical forum to (for instance) in depth electrical (info-centre, headlights, etc), in depth mechanical (oil-pressure, headlight washers, fitting brake-discs, etc). :?:

Just an idea, would mean some investment in going through all the posts in the current in-depth forum, but was meaning to go through all the forums anyway, removing all content that is totally useless ;)

Please use the poll to let us know what you think, if you want to add comment, like suggestion how the forum-structure should be, use the reply-button ;)
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

bbf
480 Is my middle name

Post by bbf » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:42 pm

yep, it would be a good idea to sort those posts on subtopics.
but i would do it another way:
generaly it would stay the same with last_post_first for whole in-depth.
i would add a column with the topics TYPE info in it and the user could group the topics he likes. the idea is that the user who frequenty checks for threads in in-depth would see all the latest posts at one time, and if hne needs to focus on a specific problem he could group the threads related to that. also i would add a possibility to give marks to a post and put that to a sorting criterion. the subject of a post could be more significant as now.

that's my idea how to make the in-depth more user friendly, sadly i know nothing about boards so maybe it's not posible to do it.

bye!
'98 S40 T4, replacement vehicle, hardcore power
'86 480 ES, RIP :(
'91 480 Turbo, RIP :(
'93 480 2.0, RIP :(
'90 480 Turbo, hailed roof, fighting wounds, 260.000km, daily bolide :)
'81 345 GL cvt, waiting for a new life, 200.000km :)
'82 244 GL 2.4D 250.000km restoration project
[url]http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v37/bbfbbf/[/url]

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:36 pm

I think it would make it a lot tidier, and hopefully reduce the number of nearly identical posts, because posts about say, info centre don't get pushed off the bottom of the first page so quickly, then someone comes along, scans the first page, doesn't see it, and starts another.

Another thing, kind of on topic, the search option often returns more than one page of results, but when you try and veiw the second, third page etc, you get the "no topics or posts meet your search criteria" message. I find this a lot when i am looking for a specific thread to point someone to. could this be sorted?
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:48 pm

chris1roll wrote:Another thing, kind of on topic, the search option often returns more than one page of results, but when you try and veiw the second, third page etc, you get the "no topics or posts meet your search criteria" message. I find this a lot when i am looking for a specific thread to point someone to. could this be sorted?
I just did a search for the words "popup headlights" and all the pages I clicked on at the bottom of the page did work, could you mail me an example that doesn't work? Thanx!
Daniël Wilten

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:15 pm

Yes, but not how you describe it, let me explain below...
I find we go over the same stuff many times.

Brakes is a classic right now :oops: making it into

Sub folder would be nice but deleting all the senseless/fun stuff would not be good cause some of that stuff is what makes this site more fun to read.

I find the site gets boring and then someone starts talking then we all join in. :wink:
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:33 pm

martinholmesuk wrote:I find the site gets boring and then someone starts talking then we all join in. :wink:
Deleting all the nonsense is indeed a good idea, merging topics about the same subject and only keeping the really interesting parts (and adding them to the FAQ) would help.
It is hard to stay on topic in some threads, but forum it's best to do so :)
Daniël Wilten

deviliShred480
480 Rookie

Post by deviliShred480 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:02 pm

Yes it would make it easier to search if it were sectioned out, and perhaps all relevant post sectioned together.
Also would it be possible to make up one thread as complete as possible. Recently had questions about auxillary gauges and couldn't find all info in one thread. Also someone else then started another thread on same subject, which I suppose is what you want to avoid, but at least managed to direct them having my thread and saved other relevant ones.

Garry

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:28 pm

coyote1980 wrote:
martinholmesuk wrote:I find the site gets boring and then someone starts talking then we all join in. :wink:
Deleting all the nonsense is indeed a good idea, merging topics about the same subject and only keeping the really interesting parts (and adding them to the FAQ) would help.
It is hard to stay on topic in some threads, but forum it's best to do so :)

if you admin us anymore then the posts will get boring. Maybe I been here to long and I seen it all b4.

oh well
Audi TT

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:58 pm

martinholmesuk wrote:if you admin us anymore then the posts will get boring. Maybe I been here to long and I seen it all b4.
The idea is that when the forums are being moderated a bit more it would make it a lot easier for everyone to find solutions for problems they are having.

There is a balance somewhere between this forum being a chatbox and a technical support center. Too much a chatbox and people will loose their interest to help others. For instance when someone starts a thread asking about what sparkplugs of the following two brands are better, then it's pointless to have a discussion about front spoilers in that thread. On the other hand, when there wouldn't be any lively discussions on the forum people will check new messages on a less and less frequent basis and eventually disappear.
The solution is finding a balance, what I had in mind is to clean up all the long-winding discussions that are over a month old. That way everyone can just keep on posting like they do now, and still it will be possible for new (and regular) people to find sensible answers using the search button.

It would also help if people that are new here and start posting questions that have already been answered were told in a nice way that the search-function can really help them, and that if they can't find a solution they can provide more info on why they couldn't find a solution.
Daniël Wilten

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:05 am

suggestion 1:
-chassis
-engine and transmission
-electrics
-exterior/ bodywork
-interior

suggestion 2:
like the groups in the partsbook
-engine (20)
-electrical system (30)
-power transmission(40)
-brakes(50)
-wheel supension and steering (60)
-springs and wheels (70)
-body and interior (80)

since our car has the tendency to get sick, im not worried that any subthread will remain empty.

on the other hand the posting of problems are quite often period.
just look a few months back and you see the same problems as on "today's" page("Help, bad idle " is one of them)

greets Richard

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:52 am

Suggestion 2 sounds like a perfect way to restructure the forum. Let's not forget, at the moment the forum is often used as a chatbox, just chatting about different subjects as the thread moves along. You get situations where a thread about tyre-pressure suddenly contains valuable information about alternators (don't ask me for an example, but you will see my point).

There would be a transitional period, where no one can start new threads in the old part of the forum (but CAN keep adding replies to current threads) and above all this the new forum structure will be visible.

I like it, I like it a lot :)

(it's gonna be a hell of a job, but will make it much much easier to find useful info in the future..)

Edit: I am still interested in what others think of Ettore's suggestion above!
Daniël Wilten

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:24 pm

coyote1980 wrote:
I like it, I like it a lot :)

(it's gonna be a hell of a job, but will make it much much easier to find useful info in the future..)

Edit: I am still interested in what others think of Ettore's suggestion above!
I think that it's a good idea.

We will all have to learn to try to keep things in the right place. It may take a while, and there may be some resistance to change, but I think in the long term it will work out better.

Also consider moving the styling forum into the heading of tuning and tweaking since it's usualy modifications that are discused. As far as N/A vs Turbo tuning there isn't all that much crossover so it may be better to keep them seperate.

So you have Tuning, Tweaking and Styling:

With this inside

Turbo Tuning

N/A Tuning

Exterior styling

Just a thought.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

tobi480turbo
480 Veteran

Post by tobi480turbo » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:11 pm

Hi there,

I think splitting the sections a little bit into some undercategories would make it a little bit easier to get an overwiev of what has been discussed here before, and probably prevent to discuss the same problems every 6 months or get the same topic started.

regards

Tobi
red 480 turbo ´91, B20F(T) engine, NGK BPR 7ES sparks, increased MAF, injectors from a 760, cold air intake ,koni springs, Momo sport steering wheel, leather seats, volvo 14" rims, new TB25 turbocharger installed :)

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:27 am

OK, the majority has spoken. _IF_ I find the time ( ;) ) I will lock posting new threads in the current fora and have new empty fora waiting for new threads. The following time will be spent on browsing through all the old threads, cleaning them and moving them to new locations. People can of course continue posting in existing threads, just not start new ones in the old locations.

My goodness, will be looking at little spare time the following weeks ;)
Daniël Wilten

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:50 pm

What great news,

Thanks very much
Audi TT

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:31 pm

I seccond that.

Thanks for taking the time to do this :)

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6