Where's dragon?

If we want to announce something, like a good update of the website, we will do it here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Where's dragon?

Post by dragon » Sat May 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Firstly, I have seen lots of moans in certain threads about members of the management team not being here to sort this spam thing out. At the same time, I notice that noone's actually thought it odd that I haven't been around and thought to get in touch to find out if I'm OK or even alive. Well fair enough, I don't mind that, just find it a bit odd.

Moving on, there is a reason why I haven't been here much, and why I won't be here much for some time yet to come; I've been made homeless by a flood before Xmas, which means I've not been in my own home for over 4 months now. Access to my server is tightly controlled and firewalled right down, so that access is only possible from 2 locations. My house, and another place as a backup. Because I cannot live here, I cannot do server admin work, which includes adding patches to here to help the problem.

Some time ago, I asked Daniel whether he agreed with me to let the admins here have the power to ban and delete users, which is something I recognised as needed ages ago. But alas, he is also busy with building his home, and I didn't get a reply, so I canot grant these positions.

For the last 4 months, I've had to chase insurance companies, drying companies, organise my own repairs, do my part time job, run my own business as well as look after my relationship with my girlfriend, deal with solicitors regarding my house and my ex-girlfriend and frankly, for the last 4 months, spare time has been virtually non existant. I work an average of 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, spend an average of 2 hours a day travelling, and sleep for an average of just 5 hours a night (when I can actually sleep). That leaves 3 hours a day for every other commitment everyone has in life. Oh and for the last weeks, I'm also packing up my entire house, single handedly to put everything I own into storage, so soon, I will have NO access to the server at all until I get a new house. Ive had maybe 7 days in the last 6 weeks off, and every single one of those have been used to sort my house out.

I wasn't going to write this, but I logged in simply to see if Daniel had replied in PM to me about the mod positions. I had 3 PMs, a nice one from a user just after I banned a load of spammers last time, one from Joolz asking for help with the new waves, and a fairly nasty one from a user who basically insulted me generally, technically and rounded it off with telling me to pull my finger out.

So, above is the gist of the hell my life has been and why I haven't been here, and continue to not be here for a while yet, for those of you who haven't got upset with me. Now you know and hopefully understand. Sorry I can't be more helpful right now or more positive, but that's just life. I haven't posted this for any sympathy, nor do I want any. I have posted this simply to inform you of the situation as it is.

For those of you who think it's OK to randomly send me abuse for "doing a bad job" without having a clue about me, consider these things: 1) You don't pay to use this site, nor is anyone forcing you to - I DO pay to run this site, and I'm the only one who does[1]. I provide the technical resources for all the high bandwidth sections of the Club Europe, hosting both the forum and the majority of the download section. I provide this to the Club, and therefore to you for FREE. I don't even own a 480 anymore, and have nothing to do with them, yet I am still providing this service to you, for free. So get off your high horse and stop biting the hand that feeds you. And 2) I won't tolerate abuse of anyone on this site, and never have done. If, like the user who sent me the PM, you feel it's OK to send angry, abusive messages to me by whatever means, rest assured, like the other user, you will be deleted without warning and without consultation.

Daniel: If you didn't get my message about giving the mods more power, then fair enough. If you log on and see this, I think it's a good idea and if you agree, you should grant the power when you're next on.

Right, back to my hellish life.

[1] I haven't forgotten about the small group of truely dedicated members who did donate what they could towards a new server when my first one blew up some years back. You are always in my thoughts :)
Maybe see you in the near future, everyone.
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Re: Where's dragon?

Post by chriskay » Sun May 08, 2011 3:56 pm

Really sorry to hear about your problems, Gaz. Hope things get sorted for you soon.

Cheers, Chris.

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Sun May 08, 2011 5:21 pm

I got the same offensive message from said user. I did explain Gaz’s working hours to said user but would not say anything else to them or anyone else as its not my place to reveal information about other peoples personal lives.

Daniel has granted me the ability to ban users which I have been doing as per my comments in the spam thread which appears to be working well.

2001 V70

Joolz

Post by Joolz » Mon May 09, 2011 10:06 pm

per ardua ad astra m'dear!
J
x

volviz

Post by volviz » Wed May 11, 2011 9:10 am

Nothing but good thoughts we can send to you Dragon!

It's all good... we appreciate this 480 island in web ocean. Now there are dificult times, hopefully we will get more peaceful weather.
Now spam is gone..so happy days.

As I have said...if any help is needed just let us know - ideas, moneys, human resources..