Recent server e-mail issues [resolved]

If we want to announce something, like a good update of the website, we will do it here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Recent server e-mail issues [resolved]

Post by coyote1980 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 am

Hi,

Since a week I received messages from users of the clubsite that they couldn't receive e-mail messages generated bu the server. This included registration confirmations and PM-notifications and more. Yesterday I went to investigate and found in the error_log of the server that e-mail functionality had been disabled. I contacted the webhost and they informed me of a workaround to get e-mail working again on the forum. The clubsite was not able to make use of this workaround (that will require some coding) so this morning they temporarily reactivated use of the e-mail functionality.

All in all: there has been a problem with e-mail notifications, but that has been resolved as of today! :)

Cheers,
Daniël
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Re: Recent server e-mail issues [resolved]

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 am

Thank you Daniel. It's nice to know you are still around. What are you up to these days? I might be coming to the NL meeting in July. Are you going to that?

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi James,

Yes, alive and kicking, and doing some chores in the background to keep the club running every now and then. But sadly still little to no time to spend on the 480. He's parked safely inside the garage, gets all the maintenance he needs, but only does about 30 km annually... :lol:

As some of you know I started doing my masters degree in Computer Science three years ago next to my fulltime job - if all goes well I should graduate in about 1.5 years from now! Must say that I really look forward to having tons of leisure time again (as does the missus). But no regrets that I took this upon myself. If you get the chance to self-improve: why not take it :)

What meeting in NL in July are you referring to? I know there is a meeting this sunday, but really not in a position to make it sadly.
Daniël Wilten

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:21 am

I'm not really sure. Brinkie is going to let me know about the July meet soon

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:22 pm

I have been promised details weeks ago, so I still cannot tell where and when. My best guess is the week-end of July 1st/2nd somewhere in the "Achterhoek" (mid-eastern part of the country near the German border)

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:37 pm

No hurry Robert.

I see you guys have a 'technical weekend' this weekend. That looks like fun! Is that at a Volvo dealership? I would love to know if they have a Volvo System Tester with the correct card to diagnose faults in the B18E Fenix system.

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:00 am

OK, so three weeks ago I went on holiday and on the first day of my holiday I received an e-mail from a forum user that he was unable to get a confirmation e-mail. Being in Japan I wasn't really able to do investigating, but I just got back home and found out that what the webhost provider has done as a workaround in 2017 was a temporary solution. I did digging in their FAQ and eventually stumbled upon instructions for a lasting solution for sending out e-mails. Just completed updating the forum-configuration and it seems that e-mails are once again being send out. This time it should stay working.
Daniël Wilten

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:28 am

Nice one Daniel!

I was 'watching' this topic and received an email stating that it had been updated, so it must work.

What about new members, will their difficulties in joining be resolved by this also?

coyote1980

Post by coyote1980 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:37 am

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:28 am
Nice one Daniel!

I was 'watching' this topic and received an email stating that it had been updated, so it must work.

What about new members, will their difficulties in joining be resolved by this also?
Yes registering on the forum should now work once again, activation-emails will also be send out now. For people that did attempt to register while the mailserver was not working: it should be possible to request a resend of the activation-email - it's not an ideal solution since they may not know what was going on.
Daniël Wilten

Ortovox77
480 Newbie

Post by Ortovox77 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Just want to say thanks for fixing the registration, nice to be back in the forum after many years :)