Knight Rider

The Volvo 480 looks good as is, but if you have the desire to give it a more personal look you can find out what others did to their 480 and be inspired.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ally_v
480 Newbie

Knight Rider

Post by ally_v » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:36 am

Hello ;)

Ok, I'm having one of my moments. Oddly as a child I used to watch Knight Rider and believe that it really was all possible. Now with the 480 we're almost there but there is one vital ingredient missing.

Wooooo-wooooo.....Wooooooo-wooooooo

Lights on the front that do that!! 10-15 big LEDs behind solid blocks of plastic.

Now I'm sure that there's just enough space behind the nose cone to do this with the black fan guard removed. The electronics side I can handle, with ideas to tie it into the speedo signal to change the speed of the wooo-wooo. The bit I can't do would be the fibre glass work to get the hole looking professional.

Any takers!? Any groups of people who fancy having a spare nose cone in their lofts just for special occasions.

The other outcome of this would be the unwelcome attention of other super cars which go Naaaa-naaaa...Naaaaa-naaaa....Naaaa-naaaa in close proximity to your rear bumper.

I did say I was having a moment... But in the right forum section though.

Ally :)

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:33 am

Oi, That's my car! :shock:

no way would I put those lights on my 480 :D
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

ally_v
480 Newbie

Post by ally_v » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:13 am

martinholmesuk wrote:Oi, That's my car! :shock:
Wondered if you'd notice that :D Found it on Google Images and noticed it linked back here.

Can remove it though, although the 2 are oddly similar.

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:27 am

wow ... are you serious?! :shock:

How about puting the LED's behind the grill ... or ... remember those light boxes they had at the skool disco's back in the day?! Why not put the lights behind the number plate and get a white (yet transparent) number plate?! ... ok, forget that one!

how about puting the LED's infront of the sunvisors along the top of the windscreen?!

Am i helping?
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i

Jamo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Jamo » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:46 am

I'm lost for words! :o
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JamoDodger/Avatar/startrek-bluescreen.gif[/img]
Ex 480 Turbo owner, Currently own Audi S2 Avant running 500-600 bhp

ally_v
480 Newbie

Post by ally_v » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:47 pm

:wave:

robin_xr4i
480 Expert

Post by robin_xr4i » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:19 pm

Sorry If I seem rude but....

It looks shit!!!!!!!!!!!
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/robin_xr4i/newsign.jpg[/img]

My old Volvo 480 // Type: Turbo // Year: 1992 // Colour: 305 - Black Metallic // Engine: B18FT // Mods: Rich Mod, Recirculating Piston Dump Valve, Pi Lowering Springs, Induction Kit

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:59 pm

I think it *could* look ok...

I think if you had a spare bit of time, and done it really carefully, it could look quite cool. I think POE has the ideal grille for it...
POE wrote:Image
Being masked behind the black mesh, it would look ok. Got to be careful though as the 480 is a classy car. At the end of the day, it's your own opinion that counts. As Dragon said in a recent locked thread. we aren't the guardian angels of all 480's-and this is your car, so if you want to do it, do it-it's your car! What about mounting behind the lower grille?

To make it look like Kit, it would need to be an exact replica-not one that just blinks from LED to LED, one that flows from left to right....or it might end up looking like christmas tree lights! :lol:

Make it up and give it a go. I'm sure if you really didn't like it, you could sell it on ebay!:lol: Don't be too dispondant if people don't like it, everyone has their own tastes!

(i know i'm rambling but i'm trying to be un-bias!)
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

ally_v
480 Newbie

Post by ally_v » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:30 pm

Dan the 480 Man wrote:I think it *could* look ok...

I think if you had a spare bit of time, and done it really carefully, it could look quite cool. I think POE has the ideal grille for it...

Make it up and give it a go. I'm sure if you really didn't like it, you could sell it on ebay!:lol: Don't be too dispondant if people don't like it, everyone has their own tastes!

(i know i'm rambling but i'm trying to be un-bias!)
Wotcha :)

Noooo, don't worry about it. Was having a moment :)

Definitely not assigning dev time to that, this is the first time i've 'played' with the 480 for years, totally ruined my nails just before Christmas. Buttt, know what you mean on how it would glide from left to right, that can be sorted by multiplexing, having the leds either side on for less uS than the one in focus. No, enough!!

How about a replacement CEM then, could manage that. I doubt anyone would put forward £5k to get it from development. Would only be able to influence the devices that connect to the CEM though. Would also require donor CEMs for the connectors and cases. An RS232 port could be plonked on there so end users could set it up before going into a car. Totally new PCB. About £100+ per 200 inch2 double sided boards.

Microcontrollers and digital interfacing.. This is what I do professionally for a living. :)

The 480 could be made to talk, as for voice recognition though a total no go, doesn't even work on PCs with the amount of MIPS they have.

I know a CEM would never get off the ground. Market far too small and costs far too great.

Ally

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:10 pm

Dan was that Bakke's Saffron 480?

Bloody yum!
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:03 am

if you really are serious, theres a guys in rotherham who does allsorts of stranges things with leds....website is iceled.com (maybe co.uk)....you can see there how to really spoil a car with lights (but its a calibra, so who cares)
he does a knight rider type thing

rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by 2127 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:47 am

Well... maybe it's not beautiful or original or whatever but, what the heck, it's well hidden so you don't see it when it's not working... and when it works it's fun! :bla:

We've been toying with the idea at the Belgian forum - never realised it, though. There's always something that little more urgent to do on a 480...

See you,
Peter
Less is often more.

Joolz
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Joolz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:04 pm

Ally v says

"totally ruined my nails just before Christmas."

oh I know what you mean Dear.......five minutes in that engine and mine are just soooo wrecked :lol: :lol: ;)
Volvo 480 Celebration 466 Dark Grey Metallic (PUS)
previously
Volvo 480 2 ltr Paris Blue
Volvo 480 2 ltr Peacock Green
Volvo 480 1.7 White
Volvo 760 GLE Saloon 2.8 V6 Blue

ally_v
480 Newbie

Post by ally_v » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:40 pm

Joolz wrote:Ally v says
oh I know what you mean Dear.......five minutes in that engine and mine are just soooo wrecked :lol: :lol: ;)
Wotcha :)

What we need is some men!! (no pun intended guys :) as with all useful ones, you're too far away).

Oh the nails, had grease in the corners and all sorts, cracked em all off last night so need a whole new set, really weird to have the feeling back in your fingertips init, a whole new world. :wave:

Maybe I should have gone to a garage afterall. new nails = £35, didn't think of that.

Aly x

SteveR
480 Veteran

Post by SteveR » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:33 pm

Microcontrollers and digital interfacing.. This is what I do professionally for a living
That explains a few things. :wink:

I'm for behind the naff Vovo egg box grill - I think the turbo grill pictured on teh gold car is mega though. Just havent got a turbo now.
Steve Robson
---------------
This was my K Reg 2L LtdEdn TwoTone - now sold
At Nurburgring (pic Suddy)

No longer a 480 owner :-(

Speedy1st
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Knight Rider

Post by Speedy1st » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:52 pm

ally_v wrote:
Any takers!? Any groups of people who fancy having a spare nose cone in their lofts just for special occasions.

to digg this thread out,

me havin 3 nosecones now, lookin for a cheap fourth one for other mods, have something u look for :D

i know its no good picture, but as it was done with my old cellphone at night as u see, its all i have, except a video in the same poor quality aswell.

W³ .abload.de/img/bild120hnau.jpg

I can adjust the speed via a controller i have where the ash tray is/was. Lookin for a way to mod the ash tray, so it handles some switches for more things to come, and one Admin Switch who knocks out all the other switches in there, and the ash tray still close for a clean look. The controller also fits perfect in the panel right above the ash tray.

But i think the front looks better with the usual clean nosecone, so i got another one to make a smaller slit for the Scanner to fit behind.
Turbo "Collection 306/480"
two wrongs dont make a right, but two wrights make a plane.

esta
480 Is my middle name

Re: Knight Rider

Post by esta » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:13 am

Speedy1st wrote:
ally_v wrote:

to digg this thread out,

me havin 3 nosecones now, lookin for a cheap fourth one for other mods, have something u look for :D

i know its no good picture, but as it was done with my old cellphone at night as u see, its all i have, except a video in the same poor quality aswell.

W³ .abload.de/img/bild120hnau.jpg

I can adjust the speed via a controller i have where the ash tray is/was. Lookin for a way to mod the ash tray, so it handles some switches for more things to come, and one Admin Switch who knocks out all the other switches in there, and the ash tray still close for a clean look. The controller also fits perfect in the panel right above the ash tray.

But i think the front looks better with the usual clean nosecone, so i got another one to make a smaller slit for the Scanner to fit behind.
wicked!! jealous! :hopping:
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:13 am

I thought about KR scanner in 480 nose about one month ago :D

Could you show us some movie or better photos?
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D

Speedy1st
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Speedy1st » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:54 pm

The mask with the scanner fitted is sittin on my locker, so i cant show you it mounted on the 480, or even running.

Had to take it off because i had problems with the police, without even using it as they catched me with their laser pistol. So now i made it black and refitted it right to the cone (previous it felt off on one side).

Only have photos like this, but without the scanner on. As you see its wonky, the drivers side (LHD) fell off, like i said.

To bad i didnt take more pictures of it.
Turbo "Collection 306/480"
two wrongs dont make a right, but two wrights make a plane.

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Wed May 06, 2009 7:18 pm

I found this on the website:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/knig ... e-of-kitt/

GPS with KITT's voice. It's a pity that they offer only maps of US...
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D