Undertray

The Volvo 480 looks good as is, but if you have the desire to give it a more personal look you can find out what others did to their 480 and be inspired.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Undertray

Post by frenchfries » Tue May 02, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi all

Skip does not have the engine undertray, can it do without considering the low mileage it will do?
1993 Turbo auto called Skip for the important stuff
2011 Juke 190 for everything else

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Undertray

Post by Alan 480 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:10 pm

aye . . . . . ..

it does keep debris off and a wee bitty warmer in winter, not a problem if a fair weather motor . . . .

PS there is NO under-tray on the C30 (except on diesel versions)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Espada
Started learning about 480

Post by Espada » Tue May 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Historically I have owner many classic cars with at best marginal cooling.

Over the years I have explored many avenues of releasing excess heat from the engine bay. It can even make a difference if the cooling fan blows the air through the radiator or sucks its out of it. Asbestos sheets stopped the paint blistering on one of them, yes I did type asbestos, I got that desperate

If memory serves me correct I kind of recall that the use of the under tray was suggested to help the efficiency of the air flowing through the radiator, It improves aerodynamics.

After all if you think of it logically, whilst driving air is stirred up beneath the car and then in the engine bay. The result is this turbulent air will restrict the flow of air through the radiator. The idea was the improved aerodynamics create a negative pressure in the engine bay drawing the air through the radiator, whether it does this on a 480 is another thing.

Lets be honest its a 480 and cooling is by no means marginal so you should have no problems.

Regards

Ade
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Ade » Tue May 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Undertrays are evil :evil: How are you supposed to know if you've sprung a leak.... This being said, I still have the one that came with my original blue turbo if you want it, I certainly don't! That's one of my 480 bits that I'd be happy to let go :lol: I'd agree 480 cooling is excellent in my experience, especially if you have the fatter rad (should do if it's turbo). When the plug came off my cooling fan a couple of weeks back I was stuck in BAD traffic and just having the blowers on kept it comfortable enough, just. Also, had no temp issues on track driving the nuts off it where a lot of cars of this age would have cooked after 2-3 laps with stock cooling components, the 480 didn't go above about 85 even though revs were constantly between 4-6K, normal running is around 77 in mine. Not bad at all.
O.C. 480 D.

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Wed May 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Alan 480 wrote:aye . . . . . ..

it does keep debris off and a wee bitty warmer in winter, not a problem if a fair weather motor . . . .

PS there is NO under-tray on the C30 (except on diesel versions)
There are a couple of nice C30 2.5 on Auto Trader at the moment :)

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Wed May 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Espada wrote:Historically I have owner many classic cars with at best marginal cooling.

Over the years I have explored many avenues of releasing excess heat from the engine bay. It can even make a difference if the cooling fan blows the air through the radiator or sucks its out of it. Asbestos sheets stopped the paint blistering on one of them, yes I did type asbestos, I got that desperate

If memory serves me correct I kind of recall that the use of the under tray was suggested to help the efficiency of the air flowing through the radiator, It improves aerodynamics.

After all if you think of it logically, whilst driving air is stirred up beneath the car and then in the engine bay. The result is this turbulent air will restrict the flow of air through the radiator. The idea was the improved aerodynamics create a negative pressure in the engine bay drawing the air through the radiator, whether it does this on a 480 is another thing.

Lets be honest its a 480 and cooling is by no means marginal so you should have no problems.

Regards
I like the tray, I would have it in a jiffy, just one of those things that cannot be posted :angry: