Those coloured dials...

The Volvo 480 looks good as is, but if you have the desire to give it a more personal look you can find out what others did to their 480 and be inspired.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Those coloured dials...

Post by chris1roll » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:56 pm

Well I downloaded them, and unzipped it, but adobe photoshop "could not parse the file data" so all I can do is view them on word or word pad, print them from there, and can't change the colour. anyone got any suggestions?? :help:
another question: if I print them on acetate, won't you be able to see all the gubbins inside the speedo? and I I wanted white ones, how would I make just the numbers light up? could I put the new dials on top of the old ones, or would not enough light get through?
And..(!) do you have to remove the needles to put them on, and what likely hood is there of breaking them doing this?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a bit :dunno: on this one!!

AND.. @Murf, how did you get on with that info centre screen I sent you? any luck?
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ben Harris » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:14 pm

When I was playing around with them, I loaded them up in MS-Word, and then copied and pasted them into Paint Shop Pro (in my case, but Adobe Photoshop should be the same).

I would imagine, if you print them onto acetate, you could then stick the acetate onto some thin paper (thin enough for the light to shine through) before sticking it onto the dials. That way, the numbers and dashes on the dials would appear white during the day (not transparent), and would still light up at night...... although re-reading your message, this obviously wouldn't work if you wanted white dials. :?

Also, if you remove the needle, depending on how it works, you might find that you un-calibrate the speedo. When I repaired the speedo on my old mini (the odometer would stick whenever it reached a multiple of 10,000 miles!), I had to remove the needle, and because of the mechanical way it worked (may not be the same for the 480 - more electrical), I had follow another car and keep "tweeking" the position of the needle until I'd got it adjusted properly. - Just something to keep in mind...

If Murf's managed to scan in the infocenter screen, that'd be excellent. That's the only reason I haven't changed the dials in mine yet...

Murf

Dials

Post by Murf » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:31 pm

sorry guys i have been really busy now that i'm back at uni which is also why i havent been posting much!! thanks for sending me the screen chris and i will get on to scanning it etc as soon as possible.i will keep you all posted!!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:12 pm

a friend of mine sprayed everything behind the glass, (but the dial itsselves) silver. Eeasy thing to do, you can dismantlle parts around it and spray it. looks neat .

knowing you, you must have some old dirt looking like a 480 dash liing around to test if that goes to remove the needle.

I think you have to. I once tied to remove the speedometer from the opened housing as I had to solder some, pulled gently this needle, but it didn't get loose, and i did'nt pull harder in fear to break it, since it was not mine.

luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:27 pm

yes,incidentally I tried it today on an old one! The needle just snapped off. :angry:
hmmm. Maybe I might go for the silver actually. sounds trick.
Going to get some acetate and do it like that. Think Ill have to slit the dials rather than remove the needles now!
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:41 pm

I had an MMS from Lee the other day - he has fitted coloured dials he reckons hes got it down to a tee and can print, and install within 10 mins now... maybe he can comment on the tricks with the needle?
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ben Harris » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:06 pm

As you've got to make a hole in the middle of the dials for the centre of the needles, can you not then simply manouver the needles so they're pointing vertically (12 'o' clock position, I don't mean bend them upwards! --> 70MPH and ????RPM), and then push the tip of the needles through the hole for the centers and slide the new dial covers down from the top?

480R
Started learning about 480

Post by 480R » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:53 pm

Acetate doesn't work! Have tried everything, but paint on the original dials does (in my case) not come off!
As far as the dials concern! I've tried 3 different consoles! Getting the dials off is pretty tricky because the can be very tight, but it is doable! I've managed to get the all off! Just have to be very careful, place the dial between thumb and pointingfinger and push the tops of your fingers downwards so that the move under the dials! When you do this very carefully, and perfectly straight upwards (if you move sidewards they might break) you must be able to get them off! Theve been put on as well, so why can't they come off!
I reckon that taking the dials off is the only way to proper installation of your new coloured dialplates!

Gr. Ted

www.volvo480turbo.tk

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:36 pm

I have done my clock and once you have done it once its a easy. The hardest part is doing to trip computer.[/img]