Improving 2.0l for track days

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

nigel poustie
Knows where Volvo is from

Improving 2.0l for track days

Post by nigel poustie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:53 pm

Hello.

I have been the proud owner of Celebration 108 for 2 years now and I have being slowly chipping away at the non mechanical jobs, to get it into the best shape I can.
It is our only family car and is Faye is probably the main driver, I am usually in the transit.
However since February I have done 2 track days which I have absolutely loved, the car was amazing but I would like to look after it and improve it where I can.
The first track day I was nervous for the car and took it easy but at the same time had fun. After experiencing a fair amount of 'body roll' I came home and fitted a strut bar.
At the second track day in October I was more confident although still never red lining it and only doing short 10-15min burst, so not to stress the car too much. The strut bar certainly stabilised the car through the corners and felt kinder on the car and I was definitely quicker.
So now I am thinking of other ways to improve it. I have no mechanical experience but having spoken to my machinic he has agreed to teach me some things, starting with replacing the rear calliper, the hand brake isn't great.
One of my mates who does the track days suggested the next upgrade should be 'fast-road' brake pads but but my machinic said they are no good for daily use? but he's willing to show me how to change the pads for the track days.
I know tyres are a big thing and I will get the best I can when it comes to changing them but what size to go for on the standard celebration wheels? and that brings up wheel size, has anyone gone bigger with good results?
I have thought about a after market exhaust, has anyone had positive results doing this? and my mechanic talked about replacing the injectors?
I know I have rambled on but I am basically clueless and want to learn and would like to know peoples experiences and opinions on what improvements and what order to do it?
P.S I know the stock answer in other threads about this is to get a turbo but I am happy with the 2.0l, I just want to get the best from it

Many thanks
Nigel
1995 -storm grey Celebration - 108

Re: Improving 2.0l for track days

Post by 100 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:21 pm

In my experience, tyres and brakes are the priority in terms of performance.

Arguably more important than performance, is reliability! Having your car in good mechanical condition is important, you want to make sure you get the most out of your day and not have to give up half way through and you also need to be able to drive it home!

Decent pads are definitely a good idea, you don't have to go all out with track pads but get something decent.

Have a look at this link: https://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/?gclid=C ... JeEALw_wcB

Scroll down and you will see that EBC offer a range of pads from 'Ultimax' up to 'orange stuff' - the descriptions will give you some idea of the range of pads available, it isn't as simple as having either road pads or track pads. I'd suggest to start with something more than an OEM pad replacement and if you find yourself still looking for more performance then choose a more track focused pad next time.

I'm not specifically recommending EBC pads, although they are popular, just using their website for illustrative purposes. (Not even sure you can get anything above Ultimax for the 480)

When it comes time for discs, try to choose something from a reputable brand and if you find them lacking work your way up. No point going all out on track focused parts and compromising the road-going ability of the car.

nigel poustie

Post by nigel poustie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Thanks for that!
It's really useful information and you are so right about reliability, I'm always sure to have it service and checked over before going.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:50 pm

Echoing the above really;
Start with a standard car - and let’s not forget that car hasn’t been standard for a LONG time, so look at the things that wear. Front wishbones play a massive roll in the handling, as do the rear trailing links. Check all of those for wear and replace.
Brakes? Well, new fluid will be a great “upgrade”. Pad material if available, could be considered, but also think about how you could cool the brakes. Some simple ducting can pay dividends.

Tyres; plenty of track orientated stuff about, that’s road legal. I’d suggest a set of spare wheels with your track tyres on though; having driven semi slick track tyres in a downpour on the roads, I can tell you right now it’s NOT an experience you’d wish on anyone!

One other thing to consider.....

A dedicated track car. That way you can ditch interior (weight saving) and not have to panic about binning the family car whilst getting carried away.

nigel poustie

Post by nigel poustie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:39 pm

Thanks for that.
I would love to have money and space to have a dedicated track car but I have neither!
I have changed the brake fluid after the first track day and my brakes survived better and didn't going soft.
Could you explain the simple ducting you talk about for cooling the brakes?
I have thought the best thing to do is to have separate track day tyres, so what wheels to put them on would be the next question?
Thanks

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:02 pm

nigel poustie wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:39 pm
Thanks for that.
I would love to have money and space to have a dedicated track car but I have neither!
I have changed the brake fluid after the first track day and my brakes survived better and didn't going soft.
Could you explain the simple ducting you talk about for cooling the brakes?
I have thought the best thing to do is to have separate track day tyres, so what wheels to put them on would be the next question?
Thanks
any plastic flexible trunking, think shower extractor hose, from front of car to inside the wheels.. just to get more wind/air at the discs.
I'm sure there are options to go for vented discs?
I'd agree new suspension bushes/mounting and a spare set of wheels/tyres, steel would do and lots of choice if you go to 15", there is nowt more bum clenching than using 'road wheels' in anger and then find you have taken the edges off and driving home with 'MoT fair' tyres?

for weight saving you can easily remove rear seat/squabs and spare , boot mat tools , (front passenger seat is trickier )etc etc ZERO cost, it will all help :-) crash diet? :wink:
it's power to weight that is key. Lotus, 'add lightness'
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

nigel poustie

Post by nigel poustie » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:51 pm

Thanks for your replies.
I think a set of steel wheels with some track day tyres is the way to go and a good shout loose some weight from the car.

Post by 100 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:44 am

nigel poustie wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:51 pm
Thanks for your replies.
I think a set of steel wheels with some track day tyres is the way to go and a good shout loose some weight from the car.
Just don't remove anything that's fixed down and will need to go back in at a later date - it'll get lost/forgotten or broken! Without meaning to sound like a bore, track days are about fun not necessarily chasing lap times so start with the basics and improve from there!

Take the approach people did in the '60s - take it on a track day, drive it home, drive it to the shops - it can do it all even if it means it isn't an outright track machine. I'd also be interested to hear how you get on, I think tracking a 480 is very cool!

nigel poustie

Post by nigel poustie » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:59 pm

Definitely, it will always be a family car first and foremost.
I just a case of looking after it in the best way for what I'm doing, I want to replace anything that needs it which will improve it for tracking it, without compromising its daily capabilities.
I think I spare set of wheel with some good soft tyres on will be a good start and go from there.

It's certainly a lot of fun using my 480 for track days maybe I'll post on here in good time next time and we might able to get a few together?

Post by 100 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:21 am

Definitely worth mentioning it! A few others have suggested it would be a good idea in other threads, the main problem always being everyone is spread all over the country!