Steering column repositioned

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Rogelj123
480 Newbie

Steering column repositioned

Post by Rogelj123 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:00 pm

I've just got my hands on a 1993 480 turbo, and besides the fact, that I love the car, I had a big problem driving it, cause I am 192cm tall and the steering wheel was just too far into the dash.
So I took the dasboard apart and unbolted the steering column with four 13mm bolts. As the column is colapsible, I figured it can be "uncolapsed" towards the driver. It actualy has about 10cm of free play. I decided that 30mm was enough.
The metal box frame holding the column, has 2 flat pcs of steel welded across for reinforcing the mounting part. For the upper 2 bolts I welded another 30mm of flat steel next to it and drilled new holes. For the lower 2, I cut away the steel part sticking out of the frame and welded in a new about 55mm steel part. Another pair of holes and thats it.
The result is great. I still retained the up&down adjusting, the cowling below the wheel is still mounted the same and is not sticking out, so everything looks original. The only thing is, that the lower plastic cover above the pedals cannot be cliped in the middle hole as it used to be. But thats not a problem. It stays still with only one clip and the a pillar panel. Now I can actually put my fingers behind the turn signal rod without hitting the lights switch.
Now I just have to figure out how to reposition the shift stick.

Sorry, the site will not let me attach pictures, as I am a new member and it looks too spammy.