Apexi SAFC B18FT Wiring

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dean
480 Newbie

Apexi SAFC B18FT Wiring

Post by Dean » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi,

I've just installed an Apexi SAFC 1 controller on my B18FT engine.

I thought I would make this to help anybody else wanting to have a bit of control of their air/fuel ratio's without bodging (eg a 30mm hole in the inlet after the MAF). If you don't know what an Apexi SAFC is click here

Obviously to set this up you will need means of measuring your air fuel ratio, so a wideband lambda sensor is your best bet. I can't post my "map" because it's dependant on set up so it will be different from car to car.

My engine was a pre 1991 orange label ECU however it shouldn't be much different for different ECU's

MAF Sensor

My MAF sensor number ended with 007, but the signal wire is also the same for 021. Wire 3 from the MAF to Jetronic 7 should read in the region of 0-5v depending on engine load.

MAF Sensor signal input to ECU, wire 3 white & green. Cut the wire in two somewhere between the MAF and the ECU.

Connect the end of the white/green closest to the MAF to the white wire on the SAFC harness.
Then the other half closest to the ECU to the yellow wire on the SAFC harness.

TPS Sensor

TPS Sensor signal input to ECU, wire 3 yellow.

Tap into the yellow wire and connect it to the gray wire on the SAFC harness.

I found that the yellow wire went into a larger wire not far from the plug, so I pulled the rubber back from the plug and tapped a wire in there.

RPM / Tacho Input

Tacho output from ECU, brown & blue taken from near the fuse/relay block by the red plug connector (if your engine is not in a volvo 400 series, this is where you spliced the loom to connect to your cars ignition etc).

Connect this wire to the green wire on the SAFC harness

Earth Important Read

It states in the manual that comes with the SAFC that there are two earths that need to be connected to the ECU earth.

The BROWN wire needs to be connected to the earth wire closer to the ECU than the black wire. Earth them both on the same wire, but the brown wire being closer.

Maybe someone can clear up why, as I don't know why. But I did it anyway as it says to do so.

I earthed the wires on pin 11 of the Silver Jentronic ECU.

Live

Find a switched live, job done!

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: Apexi SAFC B18FT Wiring

Post by doingitsideways » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:28 pm

Looks like a nice piece of kit.

Looking forward to your results :)
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Re: Apexi SAFC B18FT Wiring

Post by jamesy12345 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:46 am

Interesting!
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R