Richmod for Dummies?

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

BenC
480 Newbie

Richmod for Dummies?

Post by BenC » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Hello all, I am new to this forum (first post!) and Volvo 480’s in general. I have been skulking about on here over the past week trying to find out as much information as I can from searches and old threads but information seems to be so scattered and in many cases a couple of years old that I still have a few questions and I’ve decided it’s time to put a post up! Hopefully my questions aren’t too daft and people will be able to help me out.

All of my questions are about the richmod ECU’s. I can tell that this seems to be a topic that gets a good going over on here quite often but a little further clarification would be great.

So here is what I know:
• It increases power from 120hp to around 170hp and torque from 129 to around 170lb/ft
• Top speed claimed increase from roughly 126mph to roughly 146mph
• They were designed and modified by a man called Richard Pruen from the Netherlands(?) who now no longer modifies ECU’s or contributes to the forum, presumably because he was overwhelmed by requests by people to modify their ECU’s?!

What I would like to know is what does the Richmod actually alter? The fuelling, when the turbo comes in etc.?

What are the effects on reliability and economy? I was always taught the holy trinity of tuning are power, economy and reliability, altering one will have a knock on effect on the others. If any users who run richmodded 480’s would like to let me know what they have noticed (apart from more speed!) since running the richmod I would be very grateful! Of course I expect lower fuel economy, more stress on the engine etc. but if anyone has any specific anecdotes and experience that would be great!
Provided I can get hold of one what is involved in fitting one? Apart from making sure you get the correct colour ECU, is it simply a case of unplugging the standard one and plugging in the richmodded one or are there other stages? Don’t really want to damage anything by being an uneducated fool!

What other parts need to be upgraded to cope with the extra power of a richmod ECU? I have read in old posts about replacing the recirculation valve and the non-return valve in the crankcase breather. What upgraded parts to people use and where do you get them from? Parts numbers would be absolutely fantastic if anyone has this information.

Is it possible to get a ‘new’ Richmodded ECU? They seem to becoming a bit like hen’s teeth. I have read some old posts about people collecting ECU’s and then taking them over to Richard to be modified but all of these posts seem to be a few years old. Is this no longer an option? Alternatively does anyone else on the forum now modify ECU’s in the same way and to the same standard? Or is it just a case of sticking a ‘wanted’ post up and crossing my fingers?

Well, that’s everything for now! Hopefully this thread might become a useful resource for others too. Thanks in advance for any responses. :D

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Re: Richmod for Dummies?

Post by Captain Slow » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:42 pm

Certainly I'm not an expert, and I have little interest in a richmod myself but I can answer a few of those questions from hearing/reading stuff over the years.

The turbo engine was innitially tuned to 190bhp (I think) but volvo thought that was too much and de-tuned it! They did not change any of the mechanicals so they can cope. The autobox, however, can be a bit marginal with the richmod. I believe people change the ATF fluid, and maybe add a cooler for it.

To get the upgrade to 170bhp that you quote, all you do is swap the ecu's for the correct colour equivalents. People then seem to move on to mbc's etc.

Stick a ''wanted'' post up, and keep an eye on the for sale section, Richmods do turn up every few months.

I think forum member ''robou'' is/thought about doing something similar recently-have a look at some of his recent posts.
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

spree
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by spree » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:24 pm

I have one in an auto and have not modified anything else. Nothing untoward has occurred although I don't tend to rag the hell out of it!

It made a massive difference to the car and is fitted in under a minute by swapping the boost ecu under the dash near the clutch pedal.

One of Robou's would be easier to get I think.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:57 pm

The forum member Robou will produce an upgraded mod for your 480 turbo he has a thread and a price list posted.

The mod that he makes is set up differently from Richard Pruen's mod (hence name richmod) but still gives the same top speed. Robou's mod is much smoother and having driven both , I would have to say that I would prefer the smoother uptake of Robou's however if you like the harsher acceleration of a Rich mod then you will have to wait until one turns up. Robou can be contacted via pm system but read his thread first. Oh he is in the Netherlands Richard in the South of England. Richard no longer has a 480 so he has stopped producing these modded ecu's. Second hand a richmod can cost about £150 .

BenC
480 Newbie

Post by BenC » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Thank you all for your speedy responses! That has cleared quite a lot up for me.

I think have found the Robou thread you refer to glasgowjim: http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... =3&t=19944 Thanks for letting me know about the alternatives. I suppose it's down to me to decide what I'd prefer. I think the richmod does sound more the route for me though :wink:

I should probably take now to confess I haven't actually bought my 480 turbo yet! I have looked at a few over the last couple of weeks but I'm still waiting for 'the one' to come up. I was planning to go for something post-1990. I haven't read anything that suggests model year has any effect on tuning - whether some ECU's are 'untuneable'? Blue ones seem to be the only ecu's I have seen second hand but it seems a lottery to what you get with the car. If anyone suggests a particualr year is a 'no-no' before I go and buy one that'd be a great help.

I found this in the how-to's : http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 24&t=19542 I assume that is all most people do once they have fitted their new ECU's to protect the engine? Glasgowjim you seem to have direct experience of fitting one?

Thanks again for all your help.

GTT_nl
480 Newbie

Post by GTT_nl » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:29 am

Hi,

In order to fully profit from a modded ECU, whomever the "maker" is, you should not only change the recirc valve, but check the complete high voltage system amongst other things!
Your engine should be running smoothly before exchanging the ECU, no idle-running or other problems!

The parts which are asked to perform in an altered way must, understandibly, be able to handle this too.
Clutch, gearbox (preferably the M59 type from the later Turbo versions), brakes, turbo should be in good working order to really be able to enjoy any mod in the fullest.
It would also be advisable to change your spark plugs to colder ones, NGK BPR8ES for example.
Adding an extra oil-cooler is an option when driving long distances on high average speeds (Germany).

All this results in a really smooth ride, which I had the pleasure to try out... :D .
It not only runs smoother, also much more economically.
One of the reasons is, that driving with low rpm (e.g. 900-1000) in fifth gear is fun because there's a much higher torque and thus better drivability / handling.

Contact V480TI on this forum if you wish to acquire the Roboumod, he's the middleman for Robou these days.

Cheers!
(b.t.w. all this wisdom came from the Dutch forum, I'm just a great reader :wink: )