480 Turbo Sports Exhaust Silencer-£130

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

volvo-tom
480 Newbie

480 Turbo Sports Exhaust Silencer-£130

Post by volvo-tom » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:33 pm

This is my cars latest upgrade, its an exhaust for the 480 Turbo that removes the rear silencer and replaces it with a simple straight through piece of 2" diametre A2 grade stainless steel. It fits straight into the place left by the previous silencer by using one of the previous hanger positions on the left side of the car ( the other right hand hanger isnt need for this ) and the inlet side for the exhaust even slides straight onto the old clamping mechanism, all i needed was a new u-clamp as typically mine broke during removal!
The sections of stainless steel are cut, welded and then polished.
Due to the lack of silencing it gives the car a much sportier noise and allows the engine to release its exhaust gasses quicker. Also being much much lighter than the original it must give a considerable weight reduction.
It took me 30mins to remove the old silencer and 20mins to fit the new one ( and i have no lifts or air tools all i used was a jack & spanners ) .Because its very easy to remove/re-fit its especially good for when the MOT comes around and it needs to be removed quickly! Its brilliant to as its pretty much the same size and exists out the same place as the old exhaust. Only with a much better exhaust note!
If you are intersted in buying one of these please contact me.
£130 inc postage.
I will soon update this thread with more pictures and videos. Thanks for looking,
Tom
p.s. i apologise for double posting this its just i posted it in the 'traders section' and then thought it might be more suitable here!

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Re: 480 Turbo Sports Exhaust Silencer-£130

Post by DaKyy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:44 pm

Well it looks interesting. I've always wondered If I could remove the old type silencer and insert a shorter muffler that goes straight from the rear axle bend to the rear. Straight pipe gives a bit too much noise for my taste... But for a racer why not...
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

volvo-tom
480 Newbie

Post by volvo-tom » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:55 am

i also considered doing that, but theres just so little space it would be difficcult to find one that would fit well. I will post up videos of the sound as soon as posible, probably saturday night. cheers for the comment, any welcome.

tom

volvo-tom
480 Newbie

Post by volvo-tom » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:01 pm

firstly heres a vid of the exhaust i took, the reason for the large amount of smoke is probably becuase it was a very cold day today! and most if it was probably condensation as alot of water comes out the tail pipe at one point! -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g63Zt43O7fY
and heres the pictures of it on the car and how it mounts and fixes -
as you can see from the picture above the end of the tailpipe is very small and stealthy, but personally i bought a chrome tip to go on the end of mine!

thanks for lookin,
tom