ECU Modification

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

ECU Modification

Post by Robou » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Under guidance of Richard Pruen some odd 6 years ago I fabricated my own mod, based on the same third party developement he used. I started by buying his eprom, then we engaged in a lengthy discussion by email in which I profited greatly from his profound knowledge of the 480 Turbo. The contents of both the eproms are much alike, as we used the same base. I should mention he never gave any clue as far as the patented electronics are involved.
Richard obviously being "out of business" I wonder if people are interested in what I have achieved.

1- Ignition advance of 3º at constant moderate speed or coast, so not at idle or under load, which makes the engine pick up better and may contribute to fuel efficiency.

2- A printed circuit board has been designed, so any EZ210K is "chippable". Not just boldly enhancing the boost without adapting the mapping, what some tuners consider a job done.

3- Although boost comes in early, torque is restricted in 1st and 2nd gear in order to prevent extreme wheelspin and skating.

4- No parts are removed. It is easy to return to standard, provided one has a soldering iron and a cutter. In a one-pcb ECU this is a matter of changing jumpers.

5- It is possible to run different mappings/mods and change by switch as an extra.

6- A reset plug is provided. No need to disconnect the battery and wait for half an hour in case the ECU goes haywire for some reason. Also very practical in general fault finding.

7- MAP-sensors differ in output, the ECU's have been factory adjusted. This is accounted for in the mod, they differ.

Disadvantages:
1- Care has been taken not to overstress any part. Unfortunatly the recirculation valve and the non-return valve in the crankcase breather appear to be vulnerable. Sturdier replacements are easy to come by.
2- At sustained high speed on the motorway (talking Autobahn, over 180 Km/h), and only then, it is advisable to add a coolermatrix in the waterfeed to the oilcooler (the easiest way), else keep an eye on the oiltemperature, it shouldn't go over 120ºC.

I wonder if, apart from the technical aspects, there is some buyer's interest in this project. As some have been produced already in close circle in the past years I have some insight about the costs. They will be published later in this thread. Due to my lack of social suppleness a man-in-the-middle is needed and I think he should be rewarded, but at the moment I have no clue.

As I'm interested in an open discussion, please do not PM me.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

grafi

Re: ECU Modification

Post by grafi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:58 pm

I am interested as well. :)
2002 Volvo C70 Cabriolet B5204T4
1995 Volvo 480 'Modell 95' + B18FT + Richmod (sold)

Robou

Post by Robou » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Ever handled cute little parcels (filling material, wrapping, labelling) and stood in line in a Dutch post-office where someone rather sold you a pack of cigarettes than enter into the complexity of handling parcels which should be insured and sent abroad? And keep tracking those things because somewhere on the road there will be a mistake made or a strike going on? In short, spend much time on stuff not related to the actual subject?
That's why I need a middle-man. I don't want to be bothered by mere stupid accidents. Its me brains, ye know.

And about this scam-like occurence you refer to, I even helped some people out for free, as I felt it was a shame happening this in a forum community. Could be traced in a different thread if you're interested. (It was the first time my mod became "public".) So I'll be very carefull in picking someone, not the least because he/she will be handling the payments as well.

The prices I will publish this week.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

Robou

Post by Robou » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:35 pm

As announced, the prices:
1- Two-board ECU € 120,-- .
2- Replacing the existing upper board by the more expansion-prone € 180,--, it will then be like (3).
3- Mounting a second PCB in a one-board ECU with internal jumpers to go back to standard € 180,--.
4- Expanding (3) with the possibility to externally control mappings/mods and/or go back to standards. At least € 25,-- extra.
People applying for this option might have a modded ECU. It depends greatly on the changes made in hardware whether the original state of the ECU can be recovered. The extra mod to be applied should be made available by means of a binary file or an eprom.
All include external reset jumper, exclude shipping/handling costs.

One should be very certain about one's order because changes afterwards will require a complete rebuild, at costs.

Shipping/handling costs could be saved by delivering, in person or by mail, the ECU at my address and later pick it up in person. But first of all, it has to suit me, and this will not be every day, and secondly you will have to spend some hours in Amsterdam, which will probably cost more.
But we'll see, a decision about the middle-man and how to organize these logistics still has to be made.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

maska
480 Newbie

Post by maska » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:06 pm

so, is that middle-man in business, already?

Robou

Post by Robou » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:16 pm

For Holland, yes. I handled two packages abroad myself and hardly survived the ordeal. Be aware, it costs! It's like ordering a cheap airline ticket and seeing the final amount including taxes.
I suggest to send a email or PM to member V480TI, who is taking care for the Dutch distribution. His wrapping skills are much better than mine, moreover, he collects batches which makes life a lot easier for me.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

volviz
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by volviz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:20 am

To clear things up:
- you are offering to tune stock ecu pretty much same what Richard did, to get max output from stock car right?

-the announced differnt prices for options 1 to 3 basically gives the same end result, but differ with some nice options- yes or no?

-option (4) or expanded 3 - gives options for external mapping by client wishes to support mods like bigger turbo, injectors etc - yes or no?
in case of yes of above, what software is needed for mapping?
Image&ImageImage

Robou

Post by Robou » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:38 pm

(2) is an extension for (1) to make switching possible, (3) is necessary for a 1 PCB ECU and (4) is meant for those who like to play with switches in the cockpit and want to spent a little more. All is about one piece of software. As stated, if different mappings and/or mods are involved, they are to be provided by the customer, I'm not interested in any more developement.
About 7 years ago my goal was to get the maximum out of the original design without overstressing parts and nerves. If you want power, it's there, if you want to drive in town in 5th gear, it's possible. I think this is a little different from your approach, looking at your posts in this forum.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

volviz
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by volviz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 am

my aproach.. yeah it's still in dreams and most -parts under bed :mrgreen:

it is nice to have your option here on 480 europe site :wink:
Image&ImageImage

ioshi_s_golf
480 Newbie

Post by ioshi_s_golf » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:49 am

Hi Lads
ok so what is the price for rich mode or super rich mode? Because i've interested to get one

Cheers
Joseph

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:52 am

prices are stated above (in euros)

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Is this still available?
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:32 pm

I think so, PM V480TI for further details.
Volvo 480 ES, chassis 283, dec 1999-aug 2005
Nissan Micra 1.0 Nismo, feb 2006-
Rover Mini 1000, june 2009-
Peugeot 106 1.4 Roland Garros, oct 2011-

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Yes I've PM'd him...
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Fitted one of Robou's tuned ecu's to my sons turbo and it is very good , so smooth and with plenty of power.

He has not stopped smiling yet. :rofl:

Many thanks Robou :D

thalenvisser480turbo
Started learning about 480

Post by thalenvisser480turbo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:48 pm

i am waiting for my ecu ,i cant wait to smile :D
VOLVO 480 TURBO ,1989 WHITE 199.MODERATOR @volvo480forum.com

pictures of my white love http://www.volvo480forum.com/index.php/topic,247.0.html

danielsperry89
480 Newbie

Post by danielsperry89 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:26 pm

hello i dont know if you are still doing this but i want one can you plz tell me how i go about doing it eg sending payment and contact details from you

Robou

Post by Robou » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Handle this by pm. State the version you want and the color of your ECU, an exchange may be possible.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

danielsperry89
480 Newbie

Post by danielsperry89 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:49 pm

i have sent you pm :)

kane
Started learning about 480

Post by kane » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Any consideration for a b18e n/a?
109,000 miles Volvo 480 B18E Custom made stainless steel exhaust and Ram air induction kit, Drilled and groved front brake discs brand new front and rear calipers with ferodo brake pads and sport clutch, (Reconditioned gearbox Professional) leather interior, snap off momo steering wheel, redline ignition components and PS2 the ultimate ICE system 4.1 surround sound and a dead speedo............ lol