ECU Modification

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: ECU Modification

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:59 am

short answer ? No.

CaptainQwerty
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by CaptainQwerty » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:35 pm

Quick question before I bother.

Are you still doing this? :) :)
.:Volvo 480 Turbo:.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:25 pm

its not me but I know enough from reading virtually everything thats posted up it is not an option.

CaptainQwerty
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by CaptainQwerty » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:07 pm

glasgowjim wrote:its not me but I know enough from reading virtually everything thats posted up it is not an option.
What do you mean sir?
.:Volvo 480 Turbo:.

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Robou » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Glasgowjim means to say that as far his knowledge goes after reading about everything passing by on this forum he is convinced that the contents of this thread do not apply to a n/a engine. And right he is!
But if you meant "this" being the ECU modification this thread is about, the answer should be yes.
And if this all is the result of a misinterpretation of what you all meant to say, forgive me, English is not my mothers tongue.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

Robou

Post by Robou » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:41 am

At petrol prices rising beyond the level of fun driving I tried to adjust my modification for the purple, red and blue ECU's. At the time of developing the original mod fuel consumption in itself was not an issue.
For testing I used my own car, as I did in the past. Savings turned out to be about 10% at "go with the flow" use.
Just the oil temperature at sustained hard driving raised a little, but it was always emphasized to keep a sharp eye on this matter.
Power and torque, although not actually measured, seem not to suffer. Handling differs hardly noticeable.

All there is to it is exchanging the Eprom, the "chip", at the cost of €30,--. If the old one is sent back it will be €20,--. The new version is embedded in ordered modifications.
Exchanging the Eprom is easy. A "how to" will be sent after order. If you prefer not to get involved in handling mysterious electronics the ECU can be sent to me and I will do it for you at €20,--.
These prices are postage included. (You can figure I prefer to do the job myself.)

As always, all is only effective when the engine is in good shape and well tuned.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:27 pm

If you wish to take advantage of this great offer contact Robou by pm regarding address etc as it is never a good idea to post contact details on an open forum.

Robou

Post by Robou » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:28 pm

While cleaning up the mess collected during years of struggle with electronics two experimental prints for the ECU showed up in perfect working condition but looking like. well, experimental. If someone doesn't care about the looks inside and has a 1 PCB ECU he/she can at € 90,-- ex postage buy a modification. The deadline is May 15th, at that time my working place should be clean and the prints will be degraded to waste.
The only restrictions are there will be no exchange possibility, so the ECU will have to be send beforehand and no jumpers for returning to normal. But so far I have not heard of anyone using this option.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:21 pm

I fitted one of Robou's upgraded chips in my sons car on Saturday . He reckons it is a noticable improvement , the power bands are longer in each gear and the smoothness is enhanced . He still hasnt stopped smiling yet and he is a real petrol head. The upgrade is well worth it :D

Robou

Post by Robou » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:42 pm

All experimental prints have been spoken for, so no need to apply any more.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

strongtom
Started learning about 480

Post by strongtom » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:40 pm

I know very little about ecu mods, very very little. However from what I read this (especially the Robou) is begging to really to interest me a great deal, besides I don't think my Turbo is running quite how it should and the idle has crept up, in fact I think that is a problem that I need to address (maybe a different thread and not necessarily the ecu), but I was wondering if there was anyone I could speak to nearby I live in Leeds and could do with a face to face? too many questions, I need schooling.

Tom
Had a Turbo, then got a celebration, then had to go back to Turbo!!!

Robou

Post by Robou » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Some seem to hesitate between the two versions of the mod, mostly people not caring about the petrol bill or smoothness and going for the brisk and prompt reaction on the throttle. As said before, it is possible to change mods. So if one can not make up one's mind, one may order a changeable version. Because both mods are "in house" versions and the same hardware modifications apply, the price can be reduced to € 200,-- in stead of "at least € 25,-- extra". A switch will be provided which changes between "original mod" and "fuel saving mod". The internal jumpers will still change to "back to standard" at any position of the switch.
Like the reset jumper the switch can be hidden under the upholstery or one may lengthen the wiring and make one's own provisions on the dashboard. Switching can only occur at ignition off, preferably followed by a reset in order to clean the RAM from settings saved during former conditions.
If the modification should be applied to an ECU with 2 boards € 10,-- should be added because the eprom board is to be replaced.

For those no longer seeing the forest from the trees, the prices again:
1- Two-board ECU € 120,-- .
2- Replacing the existing eprom board by the more expansion-prone € 180,--, it will then be like (3).
3- One-board ECU needs a second PCB with internal jumpers to go back to standard € 180,--.
All will be provided with a reset jumper.

Either version of the software can be ordered, standard will be the latest "fuel saving".(Which reportedly even saves compared to unmodded in every day's use!)
These prices are exempt shipping costs. From Holland to many foreign countries inclusive Track&Trace they have risen to € 18,50, much more than vice versa!
Check this link: http://www.postnl.nl/voorthuis/pakket-v ... ack-trace/ and click "Wat kost het?".
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

Robou

Post by Robou » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:23 am

In due time I will stop producing the Roboumod.

Firstly much of my time will be spent in places where communication with the outside world is difficult and delicate work on electronics is impossible.

Secondly anybody using his brains will have the modification by now, making one enjoy the car much more and saving gas as well, so returning investment. And everyone has had
sufficient time to have me change existing mods like being offered.

Thirdly I hardly feel like rearranging my workbench in order to modify hard- and software of a single ECU dropping in now and then. The entire job takes five hours at least, so is
hardly profitable.

As a service, a stock of modified ECUs was being held in order to be able to exchange without stopping the car, one for each color and each of them is fitted with my special board,
except for 1 extra orange, which has two original printed boards. All go for the set prices (€ 180,--/€ 120,-- exempt shipping).

I ever may be convinced to restart production, but then only if at least five ECUs will be offered for modification at a time and during a prolonged stay in my home, which will
occur at the most twice a year.

When interested in one of the remaining ECUs, please send a PM stating your email address.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

Attack2001
480 Newbie

Post by Attack2001 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:00 am

Robou wrote:In due time I will stop producing the Roboumod.

Firstly much of my time will be spent in places where communication with the outside world is difficult and delicate work on electronics is impossible.

Secondly anybody using his brains will have the modification by now, making one enjoy the car much more and saving gas as well, so returning investment. And everyone has had
sufficient time to have me change existing mods like being offered.

Thirdly I hardly feel like rearranging my workbench in order to modify hard- and software of a single ECU dropping in now and then. The entire job takes five hours at least, so is
hardly profitable.

As a service, a stock of modified ECUs was being held in order to be able to exchange without stopping the car, one for each color and each of them is fitted with my special board,
except for 1 extra orange, which has two original printed boards. All go for the set prices (€ 180,--/€ 120,-- exempt shipping).

I ever may be convinced to restart production, but then only if at least five ECUs will be offered for modification at a time and during a prolonged stay in my home, which will
occur at the most twice a year.

When interested in one of the remaining ECUs, please send a PM stating your email address.
So does this mean (sorry im not the sharpest knife in the drawer haha) that your not going to make anymore unless theres a big order? However you've got some already converted ECU's that you are going to sell now?

I've been meaning to get one of these off you for a while but the moneys never come up to do the whole conversion. Do you have any of the re-mappable ones available with the option to have it re-mapped by an outside company? I'm not a 480 owner myself, i've got a 340. But i intend to put a 1.7turbo in the front of it attached to the 360 transmission (the 340 and 360 use different transmissions, the 360 being the stronger one). I'l be upgrading the engine with a bigger turbo (t3), bigger intercooler, heavy duty clutch etc etc the usual. Will your best ECU be able to run it or will it need re-mapping to get anywhere?

Thomas......................

Robou

Post by Robou » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Due to the recent find of 3 desoldered original secondary PCB's while cleaning out my workspace it is possible to modify 3 more ECU's with only 1 PCB. These will definitely be the last ones.
They will lack the "back to standard" possibility, as this could only be achieved with the specially designed PCB.
The price is as quoted above, allthough more labour is involved.

From November on I will, be it in dribblets, modify 2-PCB ECU's again. It will take a little longer than usual to have them ready, it will be agreed upon in advance.
Also here no change in costs.

If interested please send me a PM quoting your email address .
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

Goffy1993
480 Newbie

Post by Goffy1993 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:25 pm

So if I'm wanting option 4 the biggest spec when the parts arrive can I go to any garage to fit and map or, is it just plug and play kind of thing? And help will be appreciated thanks

Robou

Post by Robou » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:54 pm

Recently I found a dorado, a farmhouse, the huge barns full of exclusively 480 parts. The owner for some hobbyish reason has been collecting these over the past decade or even longer. I doubt if one would hear a no when looking for some part.
The point is, I discovered about 50 ECUs of which the majority is purple and has two printed circuits. The extra printed circuit is universal, it has not been changed over the years.
It can be desoldered and used to modify ECUs with only one PCB, in particular the blue ones.

This means the stop on modifying 1-PCB ECUs has been called off.
A disadvantage is, the costs will rise to € 200,-- ex shipping as I have to buy an ECU and more labour is involved. And it will only have a reset for the internal RAM, changing mods is possible though on request.
Maybe, except for blue, your color is available at el dorado in the 2 PCBs version. In that case you can keep your ECU.

When interested send me a PM stating your email address.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

Robou

Post by Robou » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:54 am

It obviously is hard to distill the actual situation of possibilities and prices from this thread and others. This causes a lot of unnecessary correspondence. So to correct my post from Nov.11th 2010 and in addition to the one above:
1- Two-board ECU € 120,--
2- One-board ECU € 200,--
Both with reset and switch between eco- and agressive mod and exclusive shipping costs.
If the limited batch of purple ECUs is exhausted it will be posted here.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

midi-fighter
480 Newbie

Post by midi-fighter » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:34 am

hi

do you still offer ecu upgrades ?
my new bought volvo 460 needs more power
which upgrade is the best for me? do you have an option to plug the modded ecu to my laptop to retune after new hardware upgrades by myself? but for now your tune is enought because the engine is stock at the moment, maybe i will rebuilt my b18ft if i find the right arp bolts and a thicker head gasket
I am from germany shipping would be very nice
i would pay directly over paypal.

thank you so much

greets

midi-fighter

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:34 pm

Robou spent a long time working on his modification and is very knowledgeable on the coding etc.. and is rightly protective of his intellectual investment in this project.

His mod does not come with an option for connecting to analytical software.

Kissato your post has been deleted. However Robou has been notified of its content. GJ mod