Volvo B18FT de-restricted ECU

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Sieger
Started learning about 480

Volvo B18FT de-restricted ECU

Post by Sieger » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:19 am

http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?productID=167

for all who want a bit more

same guy as from www.rtoc.org
Renault 5 GTT *volvo 480 turbo power*

161 BHP & 230 Nm @ 10 Psi -->Now running on 18 Psi :P

soon --> new engine in with 315cc injectors t25/28 turbo an BIGMOD :)

dave r5
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by dave r5 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:59 am

mr scoff i beleive
or haz.

i get confused

but i have 1 of his ecus :D :hopping: :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/badboi106/sigs/daver5new.jpg[/img]
renault shell, custom cage, no dash, volvo engine, nissan turbo, apexi boost controler, ksm re-wire, persision automotive down pipe, dta engine management to come. 175 BHP 220 LB/FT torque
ring me for parts 07805391168

Sieger

Post by Sieger » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:26 pm

it is scoff ( Chris)

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:25 pm

http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/vi ... hp?t=11903&

A soldering iron is not that expensive :wink:
Volvo 480 ES, chassis 283, dec 1999-aug 2005
Nissan Micra 1.0 Nismo, feb 2006-
Rover Mini 1000, june 2009-
Peugeot 106 1.4 Roland Garros, oct 2011-

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Robou » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:47 pm

My first remark would be that the threads on this chapter are more or less taken over by owners of a Volvo engine, no Volvo car.(But this could be subject of an entirely different thread.)

They are focussed on performance of the engine, and apt to believe anything that anybody claims about it. Like claimed in the link in the first thread.
Here someone sells for Euro 39,99, (could it be more like Ikea), a modification which expells the boost control from the EZ210K without any changes in the ignition timing nor in the injection, other than suggesting bigger injectors. Wonderful things can happen to a car with the use of just a hammer and a crowbar. It may even reach next corner.

480 Turbo owners, please don't believe this crap. You have a perfectly balanced combination of EZ210K and Jetronics 2.2 at which modifications can be made in order to touch at 175 BHp and 250 Nm within all the safety margins of your engine and already at this output you will have trouble to handle your car especially on wet roads and in low gears.

If you like to rebuild your engine after every run or every WOT experience, be their guest.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

Sieger

Post by Sieger » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:43 am

Ettore Bugatti wrote:http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/vi ... hp?t=11903&

A soldering iron is not that expensive :wink:
i know :wink: , but when i bought this car and opend up the box i saw this.

@ Robou

search for scoff's renault @ youtube , this guy knows what he is doing.

Chesh
480 Newbie

Post by Chesh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Robou wrote:My first remark would be that the threads on this chapter are more or less taken over by owners of a Volvo engine, no Volvo car.(But this could be subject of an entirely different thread.)

They are focussed on performance of the engine, and apt to believe anything that anybody claims about it. Like claimed in the link in the first thread.
Here someone sells for Euro 39,99, (could it be more like Ikea), a modification which expells the boost control from the EZ210K without any changes in the ignition timing nor in the injection, other than suggesting bigger injectors. Wonderful things can happen to a car with the use of just a hammer and a crowbar. It may even reach next corner.

480 Turbo owners, please don't believe this crap. You have a perfectly balanced combination of EZ210K and Jetronics 2.2 at which modifications can be made in order to touch at 175 BHp and 250 Nm within all the safety margins of your engine and already at this output you will have trouble to handle your car especially on wet roads and in low gears.

If you like to rebuild your engine after every run or every WOT experience, be their guest.
I am interested in what you say here, do you have a link to what mods need to be done in order to reach these figures? I am aware of the richmod but it seems gettin hold of the guy who does them is getting exceedingly difficult?

Robou

Post by Robou » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:04 pm

There's no one-fits-all and straitforward solution available. If you would live in the Netherlands I could be of any help, but I detest the hassle of
sending packages abroad and moneyorders.
The problem is, that just buying an eprom with modified software is not the whole story, some hardware should be changed as well. Moreover, changing the software that easily is only possible if you have an EZ210K with a seperate Printed Circuit Board for the eprom. If this is not the case, a PCB should be fabricated. Programming of the microcontroller is not possible, it is a mask programmable unit, it can only be replaced by a modified one. And this is only possible if you are a professional in the posession of a highly professional soldering unit.
Another advise is never to start anything in this order before your car is in perfect stock condition, without any gimmicks like special air filters or MBC's, which either are completely unnecessary for the output requested or lousing up the motor management.
Resume for 480T owners: Stay away from ad hoc solutions like the one advertised. (I'd love to examine one of those ECU's, though.)
I just informed one of the forum members, Ettore Bugatti, on his request, about the changes to be made. PM him if you want to know more.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

Chris EFI-Parts
480 Newbie

Post by Chris EFI-Parts » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Robou,

You've taken an instant dislike to something that I offer, without understanding what it does, how I do it or what the benefits are. Thats a little unfair don't you think ?

OK, while the modification is indeed rarther elementary, it gets the job done efficiently and at minimal cost. What is the problem with being efficient ? I install full standalone systems to those that want absoloute control, but for those wanting a safe increase in performance and that do not have the confidence or desire to modify their own unit, I offer this service. Is that so bad ? Or maybe you were assuming I was the same as the other known-nothing tuners that unfortunately plague this hobby.

I'm not your typical money grabbing tuner, I would hate anybody to think that I was. I spend a lot of time developing custom soloutions for folk - even simple tasks like the one we're talking about takes time to perfect, test and be 100% confident about before I offer it as a service - all that for very little return, I assure you. I take what I do very seriously, my reputation in the Renault tuning world too, and so I feel compelled to respond to threads like this.

The modification is supplied with a strict set of guidelines that the user must adhere to. I have taken the time to prepare these because I care, and because I don't want my reputation tarnished by folk using the modification in the wrong manor. I assure you that the performance gains can be substantial, proven time and time and time again by those with engines that I have tuned. And for the record, I agree that really these modifications are aimed at those wishing to push performance rarther than drivability, fuel ecconomy, reliability and so on - much like many other performance modifications.

I hope you don't take offence to my reply, It's clear you are a knowledgable chap in this field, so please try to understand why I have posted and I hope you will apreciate why I had to respond.

Best regards, Chris
http://www.efi-parts.co.uk

Robou

Post by Robou » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:57 pm

@Chris EFI-Parts

Sorry, I'll have to stick to my words, although "crap" may be somewhat too harsh.

Quote: 'I agree that really these modifications are aimed at those wishing to push performance rarther than drivability, fuel ecconomy, reliability and so on - much like many other performance modifications.' End Quote.

This is exactly my point, you couldn't have said better. There is no fun in driving a 480 with over 180hp and 250Nm, unless you're on the tracks and have a load of money and time to spend on roadholding, wheels, tyres, brakes, springs, bodywork, repairs, you name it. And why, for Pete's sake, would you use a 480 there?

You probably make a living of tuning cars and I didn't question your skills, I questioned your offer. According to your own words, rightfully.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

Chris EFI-Parts
480 Newbie

Post by Chris EFI-Parts » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks Robou, it was the instant categorization as crap that I took the slight offence too, but I've suffered worse, I'll live :)

I know that in the UK alone there are growing number of B18FT engine's in Renault 5's, and a good number of those race, hill-climb or drag their cars. Some with very good results, out performing the original Renault engine in terms of performance and more importantly, reliability. I found I was being asked for this modification often - the result was me adding it to the shop for convenience sake, not to try and sell un-neccessary modifications to un-suspecting owners.

You're ofcourse perfectly correct when you say a lot of drivability and fun disapears when traction and handing are compromised, so like many modifications it only caters for a specific group of enthusiast - usually those interested in track or drag racing. Maybe I should include a statement similar to that in my shop listing.

Best regards, Chris
http://www.efi-parts.co.uk

Chesh
480 Newbie

Re: Volvo B18FT de-restricted ECU

Post by Chesh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:00 am

Chris @ efi:

Please expect my 480 1.7t ecu very soon as soon as it is lifted and ready to go into my clio :D

I have been in possession of the link to your site for a while now but have been in two minds about whether to go for it or not, as i know someone on here does richmodding but after reading your posts in this thread i am convinced :) .