Wiring of a 480 turbo engine in a Renault

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

r5b18ft
Knows where Volvo is from

Wiring of a 480 turbo engine in a Renault

Post by r5b18ft » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:49 pm

Hello all :)

I know I've asked for help several times but it is now that I'm actually fitting the engine in my little 5. I had some health problems and was stuck in hospital for over 2 months :? pretty damn sad 2 months..

Anywayssss.. here it goes.

The bulkhead on my engine loom has 10 wires and not 5 like some of you have told me. These are the colours as follow;

thick grey/red
grey/red
grey
brown/blue
pink
green
red
blue
brown
white/blue

As mentioned above, the only relatively thick wire from the whole lot is in grey/red. Now alot of users on this forum told me that I just need to use a grey (ECU live), a grey/red (fuel pump) and a brown/blue (tacho) wire to work with.

The grey one is fine; ECU ignition live.

I've connected that to the ignition and turned the ignition on. Now a grey/red wire should read 12v with a voltmeter, right ? Well the only wire to give me a 12v supply was the pink one so i think that's the fuel pump one.

Now another problem I've got is that the pump is not stopping after a while when turning on the ignition. At first you can hear it working hard and then after a while (when it should completely stop) you can hear it run lower, as if its trying to squeeze fuel in.

There are no leaks what so ever.

I just tried to start the engine once, last night, and am submitting this from work. What I was thinking about maybe the fuel rail and all the stuff must first will up first time start up..

But as with every fuel pump it must have a pressure switch to turn it off after priming, right ? or is that done by the master relay ?

Any help would be greathly appreciated. Thanks :D

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:38 pm

any ideas please ?!?! any help is greatlyyyy appreciated

greasy mits

Post by greasy mits » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:20 am

i would have thought the fuel pump relay would cut it off not 100% on that tho
[img]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj345/wmap/Untitled-1copy.jpg[/img]

bbf
480 Is my middle name

Post by bbf » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:39 am

turbo doens't have prime presure switch or anythink like that. it needs 3 or so cranks of starter motor (or one at jumpstart by pushing-draging) to start pumping and stops right after no signal from flyweel senzor. you can put it directly to switched 12V and it should be fine. (but if you crash and cut fuel line it will pour benz until you switch it off..)

I propose you download the wiring diagrams and start there, not with wires in your hand.

engine transplant will also need some knowledge of what you are doing and a lot of modifications to r5 to make it safe to drive.
'98 S40 T4, replacement vehicle, hardcore power
'86 480 ES, RIP :(
'91 480 Turbo, RIP :(
'93 480 2.0, RIP :(
'90 480 Turbo, hailed roof, fighting wounds, 260.000km, daily bolide :)
'81 345 GL cvt, waiting for a new life, 200.000km :)
'82 244 GL 2.4D 250.000km restoration project
[url]http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v37/bbfbbf/[/url]

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:04 pm

bbf wrote:turbo doens't have prime presure switch or anythink like that. it needs 3 or so cranks of starter motor (or one at jumpstart by pushing-draging) to start pumping and stops right after no signal from flyweel senzor. you can put it directly to switched 12V and it should be fine. (but if you crash and cut fuel line it will pour benz until you switch it off..)
Ohhh thats a completely different story .. thanks alot for that piece of information.

So you reckon that only when the flywheel sensor senses some rotation only then will the fuel pump work, right ?

Then that takes me back to choose me coloured wires..

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:39 pm

Fuel pump problem solved :)

But engine stil does not start .. Ignition looks veryyyy weak. Tomorrow will be checking out this mishappening as now I have to rush to work.

I've also got a plug which is still not connected.. its a small cylindrical shaped plug, 2 wires, red&black, just before the airflow sensor plug and just after the throttle positioning plug. Any ideas ??

blaze
480 Newbie

Post by blaze » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:28 pm

r5b18ft wrote:Fuel pump problem solved :)

But engine stil does not start .. Ignition looks veryyyy weak. Tomorrow will be checking out this mishappening as now I have to rush to work.

I've also got a plug which is still not connected.. its a small cylindrical shaped plug, 2 wires, red&black, just before the airflow sensor plug and just after the throttle positioning plug. Any ideas ??
how did you solve the fuel pump as im wiring the same loom to my clio and the plug i think your on about is the aux water pump

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:23 pm

blaze wrote:
r5b18ft wrote:Fuel pump problem solved :)

how did you solve the fuel pump as im wiring the same loom to my clio and the plug i think your on about is the aux water pump
fuel pump was ok .. amazingly enough all 4 injectors where stuck, not a even a single drop got through one of them. The engine had been sitting down for over a year an a half so I could have presumed that. Well now they're fine and engine is running :)