exhaust question

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

fwc
480 Newbie

exhaust question

Post by fwc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:37 pm

hi, im new here, although a lot of you will know my car, ill postin the newbie section in a minute.

i have a 480 turbo, running quite high power, and the back box needs replacing. its currently a 5 inch tailpipe, which fr me is too big anyway, and im after a little more noise.

I have a plan, which is to cut the pipe right down, and have a straight pipe from the cat to just before the rear nearside wheel. Im assuming there are no legal complications with doing this, but is this going to make the car excessively loud?? i had read somewhere that it shouldnt be too bad on a turbo, but just want to check before i get the angle grinder out.

thanks

dave

aibast
480 Connoisseur

Post by aibast » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:29 am

I ran my car with a 2,5" race CAT and a twin straight trough resonators and wasn't all that bad, but still for use every day i think it's to much noise. Added a straigth trough muffler later. Haven't you heard that noise doesn't make power, but power makes noise? I suggest to get a high flow CAT and add a nice straight trough muffler inplace the stock box in the back. Thats the real restriction on the exhaust. And I think I can't pass MOT with out a cat. Also the stock size exhaust on stock boost levels is ok.

Besides it's a R4 engine, they never sound good with any exhaust.
1996 850R 2.0 T5 - "Beebi R"
1994 480 Turbo - RichMod - sold to get the R
1992 850 2,5 20V - sold to get the R
1987 744 TIC - Haas Tuning - totaled by BMW
1973 142 GL B20E - sold