Smoking turbo

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Derek
Knows where Volvo is from

Smoking turbo

Post by Derek » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:05 pm

my turbo started to smoke quite bad tonight and does'nt hold boost when it hot and the exhaust side has started to crack. i have a spare standard t2 turbo but don't know if its any good and i think it would be a good time to fit a bigger one. i know some people have fitted a t25 and t52g turbos but where do you get that kind of turbo and are they a direct fit to the standard manifold?

aibast
480 Connoisseur

Post by aibast » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:37 am

They fit to the standard manifold and can be get from turbo saab or a nissan. But there is a catch. The connection to the downpipe needs some work and the coldside might have to be turned and dependant on a turbo also intake need some custom connections (T25G/T28/GT25 and so on turbos) I ran my 480 with a T25G and it was i think a perfect turbo for the car. Didn't run lean on richmod but went like grazy. The boost curve was nice and smooth from 1500rm and up it started producing boost and hit 1bar @ 3000 rpm and held ti there to redline. That was with a stock head and exhaust. The torgue was also nice and smooth. But I sugest swaping out the stock plastic by-pass valve to stock Audi and WW VAG1,8 turbo metal by-pass. My plastic one broke and killed my T25G turbo.

I still got the proper downpipe adapter and intake adapters made from steel to suit stock tubing. Could give them to someone if interested?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTuqk60ev7s
In here is with a T25G and standard exhaust - you can here it's leaking everywhere cos the gasses can't escape fast enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ageVDZfjkb4
Here is a stock T2 turbo with a 2,5" straith trough exhaust and VAG metal by-pass
1996 850R 2.0 T5 - "Beebi R"
1994 480 Turbo - RichMod - sold to get the R
1992 850 2,5 20V - sold to get the R
1987 744 TIC - Haas Tuning - totaled by BMW
1973 142 GL B20E - sold