New 480turbo owner - driving very slowly

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

It_was_fun_in_the_80s
480 Newbie

New 480turbo owner - driving very slowly

Post by It_was_fun_in_the_80s » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi, just bought a 480 as I like cars from the 80's and love the styling. Car is in reasonable condition, (previous owner said 'Show Condition' - he needs glasses..), anyway, it is a 1995 turbo auto and it feels very slow! I like teh car, but I am so disapointed with the performance, the turbo guage never moves even half way into the yellow zone, is something wrong? Any help much appreciated. Jen

jimmi_swe
Started learning about 480

Post by jimmi_swe » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:02 pm

You can´t trust the original turbo guage. in some cars it goes in to the red and in some to the yellow but gives the same effect.
Install a real instrument on the conection on the turbo box behinde the ashtray. And then you can se if there is something wrong.

best regards jimmi
Volvo 480 turbo -90- Full original bodykit.
http://www.garaget.org/Qwert

It_was_fun_in_the_80s
480 Newbie

Post by It_was_fun_in_the_80s » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi Jimmi, thanks for replying. Previously, I have had bigger engined cars, so I guess that's why the 480 seems slow? I find if I hold it in 2nd and floor it, there is a lot more noise, but it doesn't accelerate much. The mileage is only 50k so the engine should not be that worn? I guess I need a 'Richmod' is anyone selling them? Or a mbc off ebay? I've got ot do something, it's just tooo slow by far.

DeLorean
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by DeLorean » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:14 pm

Heh. Yeah I agree - Pretty slow stock. I am a bit of an 80s fan to be fair, and normally have 80s V8's, Porsche 928, Merc SEC etc.

I'm hoping a richmod will improve the power delivery of mine, I guess I am just used to a different kind of power delivery. To be fair though I got the car really cheap and its great fun!

It_was_fun_in_the_80s
480 Newbie

Post by It_was_fun_in_the_80s » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi DeLorean, the 928 is an awesome car, I had an S2 about 3 years ago and loved it. In the recent past I have owned an Audi v8 and Granada Cosworth and a few Jags, so I guess I am used to big engines and big acceleration. I think something is wrong with my 'new' 480 tho.. I just don't know, but the turbo seems to do nothing much. How can I tell if it is giving the right amount of boost?

DeLorean

Post by DeLorean » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:35 pm

Do you get full vacuum on idle? I would start off by checking all the hoses. If the turbo is u/s you would already know! Does it smoke? Maybe the auto is sapping alot of the power! you need to connect a proper boost gauge for a true reading even if its only temporary so you can see what is going on!

I have had 4 928s. Awesome cars. I had a manual S4 GT which was ridiculously quick although my fav was an 83 S in gold :-) Pure 80s-ness.

I also had a v12 xjs but wasnt very inspired by it! 928s are in my blood i think!

It_was_fun_in_the_80s
480 Newbie

Post by It_was_fun_in_the_80s » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:49 pm

Hmm, not to sure about the vacumm on idle? basically, the turbo guage moves to the start of yellow when I start the car. I will check the hoses tomorrow, thanks for the tip. I will try to buy a proper guage, but I reckon the turbo is not doing much, I just casn't feel it kicking in. I had an old Saab 900 2.0T and it pulled much harder. I think the auto is sapping some power, I checked the fluid and it looks like engine oil, not pink like ATF.. could it be that's the problem? It's hard to find a good 938 now, wish I had kept mine, you can't go much faster per £. Im glad I bought the 480, but looking on the forum I think I paid to much, still, it's a cool looking car

DeLorean

Post by DeLorean » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:52 pm

Cool. Well it definately sounds like you have a boost leak. The gauge is meant to read -14 on idle (ie right over to the left). Also your atf fluid sounds like it is due a change.

I would replace the hoses. Service the AT and service the engine then see how you get on! How much did you pay?

It_was_fun_in_the_80s
480 Newbie

Post by It_was_fun_in_the_80s » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:46 pm

It was £1k which isn't much for a working car (any car really), but reading some of the posts on here, some people seem to have bought good ones for £400-£500, oh well! The only thing I was a bit miffed about was the seller said it had almost complete service history, but when I got there it was nothing really. Generally it's in ok condition, just a few bits of trim missing and this lack of power problem. The main thing I need to do quick is a cambelt, as it's been 7 yrs since it was last done, so on borrowed time.. When do you get yr Richmod fitted, id be interested in your opinion of it. Assume yr car is a turbo as well? What else are you going to do to it, or shall you keep it standard apart from the chip?

DeLorean

Post by DeLorean » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:13 am

Aha! Cool. Not too bad then if it's fairly clean.

I don't know when I will get the richmod fitted - When I can find one I suppose! Not going to be going mad with the mods but will sort out the suspension so the front end doesn't rise in the air as much upon hard acceleration. Also going to change the wheels for something along the lines of Borbet As, or more preferable Ronal Turbos. I might relocate the front numberplate to underneath the bumper if it doesnt restrict the cool air too much because I think it spoils the lines stuck on the front.

I want my four-eighty to look like a horrible 1970s "vision-of-the-future" spaceship and its not low enough or clean enough... yet!

Other than that I will just concentrate on tidying it a bit and making sure its mechanically and electrically ok! How about you?

It_was_fun_in_the_80s
480 Newbie

Post by It_was_fun_in_the_80s » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:01 am

Lol like the vison of the future image. i've already taken the front no plate off and got rid of the plastic surround and just put a bracket on to hold it below the bumper, not causing overheating yet.. Would look better lowered a bit, but did that on the Saab and it ruined the handling and made it creak like a barn door. There's a poster on here 'Dan' who has put up some pics of his lowered 480 and it looks really gd tho. All I really want to do is make mine go faster, but these Richmods seem impossible to get. I really want to get it to about 170-180bhp, then I will be happy, more than that and it will probably torque-steer into every hedge. Just don't know the best way to get those xtra horses, hoping ill find the answer on here

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:41 am

I agree with DeLorean. The fact that your gauge doesn't go to -14 when you start definitely indicates a leak, & you need to check all the hoses. The colour of the ATF indicates that the car has almost certainly done more than 50,000. I'd get that changed pretty soon, as well as the cambelt. Trouble with the ATF is that you can only partially drain the box, but I think it's possible to pump new fluid through but it takes a lot of new fluid. Just draining what you can & replacing will be OK. Did you know you can check the MOT history & therefore the mileage at
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ ... equest.jsp
As regards the Richmod, I have a '94 Turbo auto & managed to buy a modded ECU from someone on here; they do come up occasionally. You'll need to know the colour of the label on the ECU to ensure it's compatible. Also, Lee on here has recently had a batch done; maybe he'll do some more in the future. To get to the ECU, pull off the carpet by your left foot when you're in the driver's seat; it lives in a slot in there & just pulls out. To be on the safe side, disconnect the battery before unplugging it. The difference with the mod is significant; the boost comes in quite smoothly but really takes effect at 3000+ RPM. Mine has been dyno'd at 140 BHP & 174 ft.lbs. at the wheels, so about 175 BHP flywheel. The torque steer is hardly noticeable (unlike my 850T5, which was re-mapped to 280BHP,)
If you do go down the mbc route, make sure you don't by-pass the boost control solenoid, then at least the car should protect against overboost.

Cheers, Chris.

P.S. if you feel like a trip out to Shrewsbury you can try mine. PM me if interested.
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

It_was_fun_in_the_80s
480 Newbie

Post by It_was_fun_in_the_80s » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi Chris, gr8 post thank u, I am learning a lot about these cars already on this forum. Have checked the hoses today, I cannot see an actual split, but they do seem perished and one is crushed under another (heater?) hose. So I have ordered some new silicone hoses today, a manual boost controller and a boost guage. Will see what that does.. Talking to a mechanic friend today, I told him about my new car and his first words were 'they are rapid', so im hoping mine just has some teething probs and will live up to expectations soon! I think I am going to want a Richmod, will have to plan for that after Cambelt, service, AT service and some fresh tyres..

It_was_fun_in_the_80s
480 Newbie

Post by It_was_fun_in_the_80s » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:20 pm

PS. Thanks for the Mot mileage link, I did that and I think the mileage may be correct. The general wear of the car wheel, seats, carpets etc, seems ok for 50k ish mls as well. I think someone has changed the ATF and used diff oil or something, it's not black or burn't smelling, it's light brown like clean(ish) engine oil. But should be pinky coloured i'd of thought? If im gonna b around Shrewsbury i'll let u know, thanks 4 the kind offer. Was going to post some pic of my new car, but not sure how.. is it easy 4 a forum novice??

chriskay

Post by chriskay » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi, I'd get that AT fluid checked. If it's the wrong stuff it may be doing damage. I don't know why it should have been changed under 50,000 miles; I think according to Volvo it's a never change item. It's usually reddish. If the wrong stuff's in there, it will need flushing I guess.
To post pics, I think you need to have them on Photobucket or similar, then use the tags at the head of the reply page.

richj
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by richj » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:15 pm

I have a blue rich mod ecu I would be tempted to sell.

It_was_fun_in_the_80s
480 Newbie

Post by It_was_fun_in_the_80s » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:33 am

[quote="richj"]I have a blue rich mod ecu I would be tempted to sell.[/quote]
Hi richj, I will check my ecu tonight and see if I have a blue one, how much would you be looking for it?

richj
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by richj » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:47 am

Hi I would want what I paid for it, £100 I think + say £5 for recorded first class delivery.

DeLorean

Post by DeLorean » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:59 am

Oof! Give me second dibs on this if 80s dude doesnt want it!

chriskay

Post by chriskay » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:27 pm

It_was_fun_in_the_80s wrote:
richj wrote:I have a blue rich mod ecu I would be tempted to sell.
Hi richj, I will check my ecu tonight and see if I have a blue one, how much would you be looking for it?
You have a PM