LPG - any thoughts?

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Jopo
480 Newbie

LPG - any thoughts?

Post by Jopo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:20 am

if your looking for high power maybe make a few enquiries into LPG, while reducing power in almost all NA cars, in a turbo car it allows a much higher boost pressure without detonation. this is because of the high octane rating (aparently its about 110, compared to 95 of normal fuel or 98 of premium unleaded), if i remeber correctly BP or Shell did have a 101 octane rated fuel aimed at track cars and offered bhp gains for turbo'd/very high performance NA cars, however this cost well over £1 a litre, that was when normal petrol was at about 85p a litre.

currently lpg is still around half the price of petrol and although you will get less miles to the gallon, due to its half the proce it works out cheaper than petrol + there are the benifits of running higher boost in turbo cars ...... worth thinking about maybe? i dont know if anyone here has done it before

VolvoMafia
480 Newbie

Post by VolvoMafia » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:59 am

I work at a Volvo dealer in NL and I remember a 1988 480 Turbo in LPG which had run over 360000 km without big engine problems. But please don't forget that LPG is a fuel that hasn't got the lubrication-function like petrol. It is a bit more agressive to the engine, especially the valves and surroundings. It also has a higher burn-temperatur. But when there is a good designed installation, you can have good fun with LPG.