Need some help please..

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

r5b18ft
Knows where Volvo is from

Need some help please..

Post by r5b18ft » Fri May 22, 2009 6:05 pm

Need some help with wiring my 480 turbo in my little 5.

My bulkhead has 10 wires and not 5. Its been taken off a 1994 480 turbo. I read several posts stating what wires I need, being grey (ignition live), grey/red (fuel pump) and brown/blue (tacho).

On my bulkhead I've got one thick grey/red wire, 1 thin grey/red, 1 thin grey, 1 thin brown/blue, 1 thin pink, 1 thin green, 1 thin red, 1 thin blue, 1 thin brown & 1 thin white/blue.

Any ideas ?!

Cheers,

David (MALTA).

dave r5

Post by dave r5 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 pm

id love to b able to help u dude, but i didnt wire y own 1 up a mate did it 4 me

from wat i can remember u need a live from
ign to ecu's
ign to fuell pump
an a earth

the tacho takes off from a pin on the ecu

i had to give the relays a live and a earth to

but i dnt run a conventional dash

auto data on a pc helped a lot
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/badboi106/sigs/daver5new.jpg[/img]
renault shell, custom cage, no dash, volvo engine, nissan turbo, apexi boost controler, ksm re-wire, persision automotive down pipe, dta engine management to come. 175 BHP 220 LB/FT torque
ring me for parts 07805391168

B18FT - LOVER
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by B18FT - LOVER » Fri May 22, 2009 10:42 pm

I wrote all thia is your last message on your previous post but yet ur still asking the same things. I even posted pics.

3 wires

Thick grey - ignition live
Red and grey thinner one to the fuel pump
Blue and brown wire go to tacho

The rest u dont need told u this a million times lol

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Sat May 23, 2009 11:53 am

B18FT - LOVER wrote:I wrote all thia is your last message on your previous post but yet ur still asking the same things. I even posted pics.

3 wires

Thick grey - ignition live
Red and grey thinner one to the fuel pump
Blue and brown wire go to tacho

The rest u dont need told u this a million times lol
yeah thanks for your help, but aint got no thick grey wire. The only thick one is in grey/red. The only solid grey I have is relativaly thin.

Got what I mean ?!

I know its not rocket sience but wouldn't like to frie everyting up 1st try. Here in Malta its 100% impossible to find any parts.

This loom I own I had to buy from the UK and costed me EUR200.

Know what I mean mate now

LIP
480 Newbie

RE

Post by LIP » Sun May 24, 2009 12:07 am

Isn't there a wiring diagram pdf file for download, look on the homepage in the download section

B18FT - LOVER

Re: RE

Post by B18FT - LOVER » Sun May 24, 2009 1:43 pm

LIP wrote:Isn't there a wiring diagram pdf file for download, look on the homepage in the download section
Not really much help mate, the diagram shows the main wiring loom for ecu's etc but never explains the wires in the red plug.. Early turbo's run 5 wires to that plug, later turbos run about 10 to it and only 3 are shown on diagram lol..

You sure you dont have a thick grey ? every one so far has a thick grey including reevio's later loom with 10 wires that had a thick grey wire init, so should urs..

r5b18ft

Re: RE

Post by r5b18ft » Sun May 24, 2009 2:27 pm

B18FT - LOVER wrote:
LIP wrote:Isn't there a wiring diagram pdf file for download, look on the homepage in the download section
Not really much help mate, the diagram shows the main wiring loom for ecu's etc but never explains the wires in the red plug.. Early turbo's run 5 wires to that plug, later turbos run about 10 to it and only 3 are shown on diagram lol..

You sure you dont have a thick grey ? every one so far has a thick grey including reevio's later loom with 10 wires that had a thick grey wire init, so should urs..
I'm 100% positive theres just one thick wire which is in grey/red .. all the rest are same thickness which is relatively thin.

There is one solid grey wire, tho as I said, its not thick.

Now I've cheked it with a multimeter with a pin diagram of the ECU's and it resulted to be it, live.

Rapid-R5

Post by Rapid-R5 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:48 pm

do you have the full UNCUT loom?? it should come with two relays and two fuse carriers somewhere near the end where the metal ECU plugs in, then after that, right at the very end there should be a red multiplug (i've heard they come in white aswell but colour doesnt matter) and this has the wires in that you need.

hope i am making sense

steve
Renault 5, 1.7 volvo turbo engine, turbo technics turbo, lowered on koni, scorpion stainless exhaust, samco and stainless pipework, front mount intercooler, about 170 bhp.....more to come!

B18FT - LOVER

Post by B18FT - LOVER » Sun May 24, 2009 10:55 pm

When it comes to wiring volvo looms in.... I'm your man lol have wired in many many looms with great success...

Heres what a volvo loom should look like complete

+ 50 is basicly possitive or main live the + denotes to the number of amps along that wire the higher the number the higher amps/thicker the wire...

Rite now the volvo loom....

Basicly on that loom there is a red plug big red plug, close to the ecu's... see picture above..

This plug normaly contains 5 wires, but one i done the other day supprisingly had about 10...

Never the less you only need 3 wires from that plug, and one main live further down the loom and it will run.....

In the big red multi block you need -------

Thick grey wire = ignition live
grey/red = fuel pump live feed ( too fuel pump )
Blue/brown = tacho or rev counter feed (too rev counter)

Orange = not used
Green = not used

Near the very end there is a main live which joins onto the battery, its just past the water temp sender - crank sensor - throttle body - air flow meter, this one joins direct to the battery.... see my pic above as it shows the battery terminal joined to it..

your car will now run, you don't really need to join it into the r 5 loom/ecu.. When i done my clio i left the clio ecu in place plugged in and live, just coiled all the wires up to one side out the way and i made my own fan circuit by means of a temp controller off of ebay...

Here's my clio when i done it, you can see i seperated the wires i need from the ones i dont need, all they ones i didnt need i coiled up out the way of water and eye sight.. You can see in the second pic that i also moved the ecu to under the head light, to the right of it is all the wires i dont need and the small bunch to the left is all the ones i need to keep, i have a few more than your r5 because mine has a electronic speed sensor in the gear box for speedo and a power steering pressure switch..

The only r5 wires you need from the loom is

Oil pressure
temp sender ( for gauge )
starter motor signal wire ( small one of the 2 to the starter )
Altinator exciter wire/charge light ( again small one )

The rest is history........

Reakon a 4 yr old could do this with that guide lol, just getting fed up with seeing a millions posts around the net asking this very same question with no one answering... This will help hundreds of people im sure...

Rapid-R5

Post by Rapid-R5 » Sun May 24, 2009 11:47 pm

i've answered it a few times aswell, people still add me to msn asking how to do it, its the simplest turbo conversion anybody will ever do, the wiring just isnt that scarey, done a few myself, i know its sad, but i could probably tell where every plug on that above loom goes lol.

steve
Renault 5, 1.7 volvo turbo engine, turbo technics turbo, lowered on koni, scorpion stainless exhaust, samco and stainless pipework, front mount intercooler, about 170 bhp.....more to come!

B18FT - LOVER

Post by B18FT - LOVER » Mon May 25, 2009 9:19 am

It's so easy u cant get it wrong now lol

Rapid-R5

Post by Rapid-R5 » Mon May 25, 2009 12:26 pm

.........infact, this afternoon i'm going to explain it to my friends 8yr old daughter, and she can do the next one for me!

steve

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Mon May 25, 2009 1:38 pm

told you guys already.. my loom does NOT HAVE a thick grey wire. You keep explaining to me all over again the same stuff but does not corrispond to what I have.

For example my loom does not have any fuse carriers, just 2 relays.

And again, NO THICK GREY WIRE! just 1 thin grey wire.. only thick one is in grey/red.

So if all you can tell me is thick grey on live, grey/red on fuel pump and blue/brown on tacho.. well that doesn't sort me out.

Thanks ta same tho.

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Mon May 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Can you post a picture?
EVERY one I have seen has fuse carriers......I'm wondering if you have the loom you think you do
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Mon May 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Its exactly like the one in B18FT-LOVER pictures .. but no fuse carriers, everything else exactly the same and there aren't any cut wires or empty carriers.

B18FT - LOVER

Post by B18FT - LOVER » Mon May 25, 2009 6:31 pm

Well you need to help your self out in this matter mate.... Try posting up some pic's of your loom so we can all see what your on about..

I've wired in 7 in total now and every one has been the same..

They all have the same multi plug - some with 5 wires and some with 10 wires, either way they are all the same just those 3 wires i mentioned..

If you don't have a thick grey wire and you don't have those fuses then your loom is no good..

Those fuses are for lambda sensor and the other for fuel pump, every volvo loom has them - if your hasn't then it's been chopped and it's no good...

dave r5

Post by dave r5 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:42 pm

mine dont have them fuses either,
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/badboi106/sigs/daver5new.jpg[/img]
renault shell, custom cage, no dash, volvo engine, nissan turbo, apexi boost controler, ksm re-wire, persision automotive down pipe, dta engine management to come. 175 BHP 220 LB/FT torque
ring me for parts 07805391168

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Mon May 25, 2009 9:53 pm

dave r5 wrote:mine dont have them fuses either,
there you go guys .. seems I'm not the only one to have a loom with no fuses.

And I'm sure the loom is still untouched and not chopped!

Will try to take some pics of it when I have the time.

and bdw my loom is not black in colour but grey .. and still wrapped in fire retardant coating where relays and ECU connectors are.

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Tue May 26, 2009 11:43 am

Sod it mate, just try the colours than....

Grey - +12V
Grey/Red - Fuel pump
Brown/Blue - Rev Counter.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

blaze
480 Newbie

Post by blaze » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:47 am

Did you have any luck with this as i have the same loom with 10 wires..... so any help would be helpful as im putting this engine in my mk1 clio