can anyone help me????

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

cliffeydawlish
Knows where Volvo is from

can anyone help me????

Post by cliffeydawlish » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:32 pm

i have a k reg 1.7 480 with j reg engine in the j reg engine is quick but i want that little bit more from her as she is carrying a fair bit of weight with my sound system in the boot.

mods i have done

de cat pipe and 5inch japslash back box and remove all silencers and resinator

k and n induction kit

lower profile tyres on the standard 15" wheels

bosch super 4 plugs

i run it on castrol gtx 15 40

any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated ive been thinking of fored air induction kit bigger exhaust piping a better exhaust manifold better oil cooler remap ecu camming i dont want to turbo her and i also have a 2 liter engine out of a m reg 480 just sat in the back garde in the shed with gear box so any advice from someone who has tuned either of these engines would be extreamly use full many thanks chris

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Really on a NA car you will not see too much gain for all of the work you might do and money you might invest.

If it were me I would be thinking about dropping that 2.0 lump in- it will feel a bit quicker.

Maybe you could mate the 1.7 box to the 2.0 engine, I can't remember if the gear ratios are different but they probably are and that would mean a bit more fun driving-wise (but slightly less mpg).
08 Renault Laguna III Sport Tourer 2.0T 4 wheel steering madness
00 Citroën XM ES9 V6 incredible

Previously:
00 W210 Mercedes E430 V8 estate LPG .....wünderbar!
00 W210 Mercedes E320cdi estate dead, eaten alive
95 Citroën XM 2.5 TD estate dead
95 Citroën XM 2.1 TD stolen/dead
'97 Saab 9000 Aero gone
Vase Green '94 Twin Pipe 480 Turbo
"Scar", Vase Green '94 Turbo dead
"Green Goblin" '93 Turbo Auto PITA, dead
Grey '88 ES dead
Steel Grey '93 480 Turbo sold and believed dead

greasy mits

Post by greasy mits » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:01 am

theres not alot you can do to a 1.7 n/a unless u preperared to spenda fortune on it your best bet is to drop a 1.7 turbo lump in and get a rich mod ecu
[img]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj345/wmap/Untitled-1copy.jpg[/img]

esta
480 Is my middle name

Post by esta » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:41 pm

greasy mits wrote:theres not alot you can do to a 1.7 n/a unless u preperared to spenda fortune on it your best bet is to drop a 1.7 turbo lump in and get a rich mod ecu
not A lot you can do to a 2na either....unless you are loaded. i agree that the best bet is a turbo, but then again that is pointless unless you are in ownership of a richmod!
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/estamace/logo.jpg[/img]

There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Volvo 480 ;)

WANT: 480 GT-Turbo & Jaguar XJR-S
HAVE: Jaguar XJ40 4l Sov
HAD: 480 GT (Lula) & 480 ES (Lulu), Mk4 XR3i (Wall*E), Rover 416i (Junior-R.I.P. bud), X2 (Percy) & Tahiti (Tati)

www.projectjaguar.co.uk

gltease
480 Veteran

Post by gltease » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:55 pm

cliffeydawlish please please please ! can you resize your avatar, i only have a iddy biddy laptop and your killin my screen dude !! If you need help resizing pictures, ask me or any of the other IT pros on the forum....

Cheers !!
'88 Volvo 480 ES
'97 Volvo 940 Turbo

cliffeydawlish

woops

Post by cliffeydawlish » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:48 pm

i tried doin my avater tpic it wont resize or anything its bein a muppet

i would cum my pants at a rich mod however ive looked through this forum and all i ever see is i have a problem with my turbo well i have a ok machanical knowledge of my 1.7 ive had it out the car striped it down and repaired 99.9percent of the issues if someone was up for doin a good deal on a turbo im sure id say yes but they are like rocking horse shit

but i know myn as it is i have killed numorouse 2liter gt's and i killed my mates turbo auto whitch has more issues then any car i know and has done a quater of the milage of miney
my 1.7 has done 135 thousend checked yestaday and his has just turned over 40 and its getting all the symptoms my old engine had at 250 thousend miles

so it makes me question the turbos reliability hense why i asked if any one knew about tuning the 1.7

would i be abe to get a
reinforced head gasket
a set of race cam
high er lift valves
titanium valve springs
ecu remap bigger injector (saab 2 liter injectors maybe?)
individual throttle boddies
power boost valve
uprated fuel pump

please add too my list cost aint an issue she is worth every penny and just to make clear im not bein funny or trying to offend people i just need help and a list of bits lol

just 1 more thing will the volvo 440 2 liter turbo engine go in a 480

thanks for all your replys

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

Post by bkf_uk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:15 am

in standard state the turbo engines will keep going all day, they where designed to take a lot more hp than they put out, it's usualy the gearboxes that die first on turbos. there not that hard to come by either, look for 440/460 turbos been broken on ebay, there the same engine.

the weak point on the turbo engine is the turbo it's self, while it will cope fine with a standard rich mod, if it's been boosted too hard the turbo will be dead.

If all the r5 and clio lot are able to find turbo engines to convert there cars with im sure that you could find one. try phoning salvo there always breaking turbos (i managed to even get an auto drive shaft from them!).

or if my 440 fails it's retest today you can buy my 440 turbo auto off me for a reasonable sum.

hope this is of help to you
Toys:-
2001 Ford focus (not as much fun as my volvo was!)
94 440 turbo auto (Sent to the main dealer in the sky :cryhard: )
92 Suzuki gn250 (Still in rebuild)

LIP
480 Newbie

re can anyone help

Post by LIP » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi
try replacing the stock fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable one or an fse valve.
I've just put one on my 480 1.7 B18E n/a set at 3.0 bar fuel pressure & it's made quite a difference, lag is virtually imperceptable now on hard acceleration & idle seems smoother. Also a good idea to change the fuel filter at the same time.
I've done similar mods to you though i've ported & polished my throttle body. I have the twin butterfly webber throttle body & i've modded the linkage to make the 2nd butterfly open 15 degrees earlier therebye getting more air into the car a little earlier on hard acceleration.
At WOT the fuel pressure jumps to 3.8 bar for the initial burst of power & then quickly returns to 3 bar.
This is similar to fitting larger injectors as more fuel's being forced through the injector when it's open.
Since fitting the fse valve i'm now hitting 7500 rpm at WOT, previously it was 6800 rpm at cut off point.
Fuel starvation or mechanical rev limiting by volvo, i'm not sure.
I think the crank sensor mod might work quite well with this, perhaps advancing 2-3 degrees base timing. You can get an estimate on how your timing is by using new plugs & check where on the L bar of the plug discolouration occurs.
I might also try a throttle body spacer which adds volume to the plenum.
The only gauge i can give at present is on speed & i'm currently making 35 mph in 1st gear & 65 in 2nd at WOT.
I use the standard exhaust with a tuned tailpipe & standard ecu & no other mods & i'm getting a slightly better top end but it's much snappier & responsive under foot.
LIP