help!!!!!1.7 turbo engine!thanks guys!!!

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

clio-nutta
480 Newbie

help!!!!!1.7 turbo engine!thanks guys!!!

Post by clio-nutta » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:07 pm

hey guys i am new to this site and was wanting a bit of help!firstly i own 2 cars a volvo 480 turbo automatic g reg and a clio 16 valver!the volvo aint gona c another mot sadly.i was wanting sum info on the possibility of transplanting the turbo engine into the clio!several things confuse me about this!here are my questions and any help much appreciated cheers-dave

1-what all is needed from the volvo other than engine,loom, ecus ,downpipe etc etc!
2-what is the deal with the top engine mount beside the timing case!on all the volvo turbs ive ever seen they dont have one here yet a clio does!so... what do you do?can one bolt one on here or does it have to be welded?
3-i have been told i need a r5 1.7 monaco rear gearbox mount!!is this true?
4-as my 480 is a automatic could i use a 16v or a rsi 1.8 gear box and if so could it just bolt on?
5-what sort of power do these engines run!ie 0-60 etc etc and how do i turn the boost up!is there any one on here that could chip the ecu etc?

any help is very much appreciated thank you soo much-dave
ps keep the good work up

any help appreciated thanks-d

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:53 pm

clio dave already did it.

Rust killed the 480?
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

clio-nutta
480 Newbie

Post by clio-nutta » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:24 pm

martinholmesuk wrote:clio dave already did it.

Rust killed the 480?
rotten pal!!
ill try contact clio dave!!cheers-dave

98kellrs
480 Expert

Post by 98kellrs » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:37 pm

also try using the search function on the forum, there are quite a few clio transplant boys on here, most with lots of experience with both clio's and 480t's.

Failing that PM anyone with "clio" in their forum name :lol:
Ryan.

1992 480 ES, 110k, Paris blue, custom SS side-exit exhaust, De-catted, custom fibreglass lightweight bonnet, custom fibreglass front spoiler, stripped interior, Slate Black textured metal paint throughout, Cobra Imola S drivers Seat, Ricco 4 point 3 inch harness, Magnecor KV85 leads.

Current Status: A very impressive track car. :-D

Rapid-R5
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Rapid-R5 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:24 am

Welcome.

That always makes me giggle...........i havnt got the engine out yet, and i'm not sure how to get it in.........

.............but how do you wind the boost up!!! :lol:

steve
Renault 5, 1.7 volvo turbo engine, turbo technics turbo, lowered on koni, scorpion stainless exhaust, samco and stainless pipework, front mount intercooler, about 170 bhp.....more to come!

R5_B18FT
480 Newbie

Post by R5_B18FT » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:25 pm

just beware most people that own renaults get flamed by the brave 480 community.... :kill:

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:29 pm

Lol. You'll find no flaming in my posts, and thats 3% of the board right there.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:25 pm

Those people who ask questions in a pleasant and polite manner, as the OP did, will not recieve any flames at all.

@ Clio-Nutta
Last week, another new member PM'd me to ask about converting his clio. To save me retyping a load of stuff, here is the last PM I sent, it should be helpfull to you too.
To: cliogerbil
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:11 pm
Subject: Re: ECU's

You don't need the CEM at all....

Think of it like this:

Your car currently has everything it needs to run the lights, wipers, and everything else, call this A

Keep all of this.

The turbo engine wiring loom connects into A via a maximum of 5 wires that are essential. On the later looms there are a lot more wires, but they are just for the diagnostic system, which in all honestly is next to useless anyway.
The only difficulty comes in figuring out which wires are the ones you need, as there are a number of them that are the same colour....

On the turbo loom that you are buying, you will need to find:

1) A grey wire that you connect to a 12V feed from your ignition switch
2) A grey and red one that will feed 12V to your fuel pump
3) A brown and blue one to send a signal to your rev counter,
4) An orange one that will switch off your air con if you have it, when you go to full throttle - if you don't have air con, you don't need this.
5) Theres a green one that sends the fuel consumption to the info centre, since you don't have one, you don't need this either.

Anything else is extraneous and can be left tied up and insulated once you have found the corrent ones.

You may need to make your own wiring for the starter, depending on where the wiring for it on your car is - I'm not au-fais with renaults myself! This is a piece of piss anyway - a whacking great big cable straight from the battery, to the motor itself, and a small trigger wire switched from the "start" position on your ignition key connected to the solenoid.

You will aslo need to add a feed from a circuit that comes on in the "engine running position" on the key to run the thermistor in the crankcase ventilation system, this is a matter of one wire to it, and one to earth too.

stuff like your alternator charging circuit etc, I would think that that should be part of the loom already in your car, in which case keep it like that.

Hope this helps,

Chris
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

clio-nutta
480 Newbie

Post by clio-nutta » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:49 pm

thanks pal!but wot do i do about the top engine mount on the clio!ie duz it bolt onto the volvo engine or duz it need welded!also the rear angine mount?wb - and thanks again for your help much appreciated - dave

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:00 pm

clio-nutta wrote:thanks pal!but wot do i do about the top engine mount on the clio!ie duz it bolt onto the volvo engine or duz it need welded!also the rear angine mount?wb - and thanks again for your help much appreciated - dave
For the top engine mount, I think you have to drill and tap one hole in the head to get it to bolt on.

The rear mount.... I have no idea. Best to speak to someone who already did the conversion.

Chipping should only be looked at after the engine is in the car, and everything is working properly. By the sound of it, that is a way off yet.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

Rapid-R5
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Rapid-R5 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:33 pm

Not done a clio, but the standard renault 5 back mount fits the volvo engine/gearbox.

steve
Renault 5, 1.7 volvo turbo engine, turbo technics turbo, lowered on koni, scorpion stainless exhaust, samco and stainless pipework, front mount intercooler, about 170 bhp.....more to come!

clio-nutta
480 Newbie

Post by clio-nutta » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:31 am

Rapid-R5 wrote:Not done a clio, but the standard renault 5 back mount fits the volvo engine/gearbox.

steve
nice one guys!so drill and tap one hole duznt sound 2hard and 1 rear engine mount froma 5!that should be ok!wiring as mentioned above...is this the complete wiring job or is there more?

I need all this info coz i am buying a complete conversion of sum1 and want to make sure i have evrything before i start dismantling the car!lol!

The question about chipping it is in the respect that i am removing a megane 2.0 16v engine to make way for this B18ft engine and so want to make sure it is going to prove worthy lol!wot r these engine like in the respect of power?ie i knw they run a measly amount of boost standard and so chipping would increase the power but is it going to be very noticable in my clio!people with 5 turbos and clio conversions would be particularly helpfule with ths question with the clio being of similar size and weight!Are these engine really fast in a 5 or clio?

Also reliability?are they easily broken or do they go quite well?

Thanks to all you who are helping me with this project i will be sure to keep you posted!wb soon cheers-dave

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:57 pm

As far as power goes, it depends on how much cash you have to spend. My 80ukp ecu mod will up the power by about 50 bhp. Others have done simalar things to the ECUs.

I can do things like fit a 3 bar map sensor, and bigger injectors. You want a bigger turbo for this, and that will get you almost double the power.

To go any further will need much more money spent.

Still best to get the thing working as it should first.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6