JT's 'FCW' Restoring Project and T25 turbo upgrade

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

JT's 'FCW' Restoring Project and T25 turbo upgrade

Post by JohnTurbo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Well, as those of you who can be arsed reading my posts would know, i 'm not afraid of getting stuck in to 480s.

(see my strip down, and engine swap threads)

Well here begins my picture diary project of...for want of a better word, *restoring* my beloved yet recently neglected Turbo.

Heres a little taster of what can happen to your car if you are in fact, not Dan, but instead are John. Actually Dan (should you read this), i'm hoping this is sufficiently neglectful for you to whisk yourself up here with a shammy leather the size of an ordnance survey map.

Just to really disgust you. The Front cluster going green down there....thats been on the car for less than 100 miles.

So whats this project entail?

- An even MORE intensive engine bay rebuild than in my engine swap thread. A new clutch/belt/everything.
-MUCH polishing, t-cutting, etc.
- The removal of several binliners of junk
-The sorting of my [thankfully surface only] rusty arches.

Anyone moving this to the homosexual thread will have much vengeance and furious anger bestowed upon them!
Last edited by JohnTurbo on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:56 pm

Its nowhere like last years body surprises though,what with that rotten rear panel above yer clustus!

Youll piss the engine.Will you be fittus an uprated clutch?Hey you drive it like you just robbed it,fit a paddleus!

You also change gear like you mean to unattach the lever from its ball socket!Fit a quick shift!

We want pictorial rebuild hysteria here bitch!

Go for it my youngest,and blondest friend! :D
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Re: JT's 'FCW' Restoring Project.

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:08 pm

JohnTurbo wrote:Actually Dan (should you read this), i'm hoping this is sufficiently neglectful for you to whisk yourself up here with a shammy leather the size of an ordnance survey map.
Dude!

If i hadn't have just handed in my notice with no job to go to (:shock:), i wouldn't have been spending my week off in June job hunting...therefore i'd have been more than happy to whip up there for a few days and get that dreadful shade of pink out of that shell! And just think how much of my mechanical knowledge you'd have too, as we all know thats my forte...:lol:

Good to see the love coming back...it is a bit distressing, especially when you see it like this....

Fuck me, it was red! ;)

Keep us updated, looking forward to reading this! :)
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:56 pm

This is underway now, with the addition of a T25 turbo from a Saab.

The first point to note here is that the engine in a specifically late model turbo DOES NOT COME OUT EASILY. Anybody who's done this, Chris, Richard etc....I salute you!

Dropping the subframe is a piece of piss comparitively.

Don't even THINK about reading the haynes manual. They apparently only ever removed a 1.6 carb engine without power steering. IT also apparently didn't have a bottom radiator hose.

The addition of the late type ABS makes things really good fun, as the engine nicely wedges itself between the abs and the brake master cylinder/servo.

Other entertaining highlights include the need to remove the rear engine mount bracket. - The bolt of which is obstructed by one of the turbo pipes, which is almost impossible to remove, and requires the removal of two separate heat shields first.

I also had to remove the oil filter, alternator and then squeeze the gearbox housing past the chassis leg with a crow bar.

Some photos:-

The engine is wedges in this shot:-

After much battling:-

My face/mood afterwards.

A comparison of the turbos:-

And an indication of the porting required on the inlet, exhaust side.

Also to note...in fitting a saab t25 to a 480T you have to work to all but one of the fittings to get the various pipes/banjos to fit.

Its not a straight swap by any stretch of the imagination. The "old type" turbo elbow doesn't FIT, it can only be made to fit by making an adaptor plate from something like 20mm plate. Something else i'm looking forward to!!

John
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Surprised you left the downpipe and intercooler in the engine bay like that.

good work John, I would not do an engine out job again on a 480. It's a pita indeed.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:48 pm

im surprised at just how clenaayour face is....
must just be me that tends to get several layers of oil, grease and general dirt on my face when im doing things.....

props dude......

rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:31 pm

Wait till you try to put it back in with that turbo on there....

Better tell you really, if its as big as Richards, it won't fit with the standard engine mount I'm afraid, Edd fabricated one 20mm higher for richards car to get the turbo to clear the anti roll bar.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Rapid-R5
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Rapid-R5 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:40 pm

Good luck john, i've just done the same thing to the 5, i cheated tho, i used an early volvo manifold because it comes in two parts, ground the studs off the saab manifold and welded them together so the volvo down pipe fits straight on.

The oil and water are fairly easy, you can use the original water pipes, one may need a different banjo bolt in, so requires a little filing, depending on size of threads in turbo (i have 2 T25's, both from saabs, with different size threads) the oil feed needs the fitting out of your T2 then will fit the original volvo pipe, and the oil return needs cutting back (again depends which turbo u have) but just needs a bit of different silicone hose to connect to the sump.

You can use the volvo high pressure turbo outlet pipe on the T25, the turbo intake will need a piece of 60mm pipe instead of 50mm, but shouldn't be a problem for a man of your talent.

Oh, and the actuater bracket needs moving from the bottom to the top of the snail, but thats obvious lol

I did all that with the engine out like you are, as she needed a new gearbox and clutch, but, then my ebay turbo let go after only TWO weeks, grrrrrr, so had it all to change again, this time with engine in, which wasn't as bad as i thought it was gunna be, as i don't have that antiroll bar in the way.

My mate with a 480 has just done same thing and his doesnt hit the antiroll bar.

anyway, as i say, good luck mate

steve
Renault 5, 1.7 volvo turbo engine, turbo technics turbo, lowered on koni, scorpion stainless exhaust, samco and stainless pipework, front mount intercooler, about 170 bhp.....more to come!

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:05 am

Jeez, John you have patience my friend- doing these things!
For a man of your talents though, i would imagine you will get this done and be impressing us all with your higher boosting pink (er, sorry red ;) ) wheels!

Rob is right- how can your face be so clean after that! :lol:

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:02 pm

@Rob - What i was really trying to show was the large amount of black crap that had got in my eyes and had accumulated at the corners. My new samsung phone, it seems, takes shit pictures compared to my old sony ericsson. I was much oilier than i look.

@Mart - IC got in the way a little, but not too much. Downpipe not at all.

@Chris - God only knows...mart managed alright with his hybrid i'm assuming. Also this is a fair bit smaller than a T3, so fingers crossed.

@Rohan - Cheers Brutha ;)

@Rapid - Welding the elbow would certainly be easier. Unfortunately i don't know anyone with a welder big enough to weld sections of this thickness properly. I have some 12" plate, and i'll turn out the centre on a lathe to fit the taper on the turbo exhaust exit.

Hopefully the oil/water ways won't be too bad, as you describe. I have lots of fittings kicking around anyway.

As for the 50/60mm issue, i'm going to liquid metal a piece of 50mm tubing into the ID of the compressor inlet. This way theres a really nice gradual taper through the original volvo pipe to the 40ish mm actual inlet diameter when it hits the compressor wheel.

I've looked at the actuator bracket. Thats a piece of piss, i've got the metric taps out waiting.

What WAS NOT fun was aligning the inlet and exhaust housings so that the exhaust inlet/compressor outlet were correct relative to the centre section. Pics to follow.

Basically to get the compressor housing off required the grinding of an old pair of pliers + the addition of two pipes for leverage in order to make a large bespoke pair of circlip pliers. Had it not been sunday night, i'd have just bought some mind.

Photos this evening.

The exhaust housing really would not come off, and theres bugger all to grip. In the end I got my father on the job as he's more patient. He heated the housing up to approx 350degrees C at which it just tapped off. Massive blowtorch required here, would be a challenge with one of those little calor things. The annoying clamping bolts, and the need to position it before it cooled down too much resulting in a few near-burns too.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:58 pm

You do put yourself through it JT, but i admire you for doing it. I'd love to have the technical knowledge. But eitherway, good work and interesting read :)

And your dirty face photo...not so much dirty, make's you look a trifle evil! :scared: :lol:
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:18 pm

Lol, cheers Dan. I am evil.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:34 pm

John you are evil. Good work my friend.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:28 pm

Re-drilled/taped holes for wastegate mount. M6x1P

Drilled and tapped hole for pressure signal bleed-off. 1/8 BSP seems to kinda work.

Blanked off Saab's bleed off point.

:twisted: :twisted:
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:50 pm

Righty ho...some port matching anyone?

Getting there. My hands are vibrating, so enough for today.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Great progress, but dont forget to clean the turbo before starting... :wink:
Volvo 480 ES, chassis 283, dec 1999-aug 2005
Nissan Micra 1.0 Nismo, feb 2006-
Rover Mini 1000, june 2009-
Peugeot 106 1.4 Roland Garros, oct 2011-

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:38 pm

Lol!! yes, all that swarf would do a lovely job of killing it!!
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:00 pm

FRirst up, pulled the gearbox off. Came off much easier than the one that went in the EST. Removed the clutch. - Yet again i'm going to be throwing away a clutch which appears to have more than half its life left. It barely looks any different to the new one, only it slipped under a bar of boost, so it has to go.
Bolted the new clutch on, and aligned it as best i could.

I wonder if the springs in the plate weaken with age or something?

Also finshed the job of the porting. Its pretty close now, and i took the meat out further inside the hole too to make the change in x-sec area more gradual for a nice expansion. Also drilled out the holes to 8.5mm to allow mounting to the exhaust manifold.
Have ordered a tri-lobe type s13 gasket off ebay, and also an oil return gasket.

5 litres of TRX gearoil too. @ £36 delivered, comes in a bit cheaper than the volvo stuff. Again i stress the importance of using the right stuff here.

This is the early elbow.... poor casting leaves a step to the inlet. I'll grind it out a bit next time i do some workage on the car.

Past:
94 Turbo - Red
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by owen080808 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:09 pm

thats a lovely elbow you have there john :D glad to see its getting used, project looks really interesting so far, the results should be impressive!
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:20 am

Yes Turbus the springs in the plate most definately do wear with age.

:(
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20