B20F turbo

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

classicswede
480 Newbie

B20F turbo

Post by classicswede » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:30 pm

Has any turbo's the B20F? If have a complete turbo and manifold from a Turbo engine to use. I have noticed that the Turbo manifold has more bolt holes through it and fouls the temp sensor in the head. Where is the temp sensor normaly in the turbo engine?

I'm having the head rebuilt and going to gut out some material to drop the compression a little. What valves should I use?

How much power is the bottom end good for without any modification?

Thanks in advance

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:45 pm

Very tricky.

Search for posts by "tobi"

Hes done it.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

tobi480turbo
480 Veteran

Post by tobi480turbo » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:53 pm

Hi,

with the bolt you need to do some new threads for the missing bolts and for the temp sensor you nee to do some grinding that it´s going to fit ... but at least it´s working ;)
One temp sensor ( used by the ECU ) is placed at the front of the head and the other one ( for the Info centre ) is placed at the back at the left side next to the manifold that´s where some grinding is needed.

I´m running the engine at the moment with ~200Hp and 356Nm or something like that, but don´t know what the max power is which the engine is capable of. About the head I´m still running the original valves but have milled some material away from the top of the pistons to lower the compression, and running a B18FT cam.

Do you have already a turbo wiring loom and the ECU´s ?! cause I think with the standart B20F ECU it would get hard to turbo the engine.

Cheers,

Tobi
red 480 turbo ´91, B20F(T) engine, NGK BPR 7ES sparks, increased MAF, injectors from a 760, cold air intake ,koni springs, Momo sport steering wheel, leather seats, volvo 14" rims, new TB25 turbocharger installed :)

terrastudios
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by terrastudios » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:45 pm

tobi480turbo wrote:Hi,

with the bolt you need to do some new threads for the missing bolts and for the temp sensor you nee to do some grinding that it´s going to fit ... but at least it´s working ;)
One temp sensor ( used by the ECU ) is placed at the front of the head and the other one ( for the Info centre ) is placed at the back at the left side next to the manifold that´s where some grinding is needed.

I´m running the engine at the moment with ~200Hp and 356Nm or something like that, but don´t know what the max power is which the engine is capable of. About the head I´m still running the original valves but have milled some material away from the top of the pistons to lower the compression, and running a B18FT cam.

Do you have already a turbo wiring loom and the ECU´s ?! cause I think with the standart B20F ECU it would get hard to turbo the engine.

Cheers,

Tobi
You got any pictures up Tobi, I'd love to see your work!
Website - http://www.tracklogic.co.uk/
Fenix protocol converters, OBDII, wide band controller, GPS, lap timers

hjkort
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by hjkort » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:06 pm

pics of toby can be found here, here, here. All found on this forum
[color=cyan]member 1968[/color]
[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225/hjkort/banner3.jpg[/img]

tobi480turbo
480 Veteran

Post by tobi480turbo » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:15 pm

Hi!

most of the pictures can be found here at this thread ;)

http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/for ... uning+ecus

Cheers

Tobi
red 480 turbo ´91, B20F(T) engine, NGK BPR 7ES sparks, increased MAF, injectors from a 760, cold air intake ,koni springs, Momo sport steering wheel, leather seats, volvo 14" rims, new TB25 turbocharger installed :)

classicswede
480 Newbie

Post by classicswede » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:14 pm

Thaanks for that Tobi.

The engine is installed in a volvo 340 and does not use any of the 400 series engine managment because it is running only on LPG. I am fitting multi point gas injection as LPG mixer systems and turbo's do not go together very well.

I had asumed that the extra bolts were there for a reason. As the engine is in a 340 I need to have a new manifold made (I dont want to chop the std one) so will have it made with the extra bolts and to clear the temp sensor.

I'm not intending to go over the 200bhp mark so all should be well. I'm sure in that case the std valves should be fine.

Is there much difference in the bottom end between the B20F and B18?

Cheers

tobi480turbo
480 Veteran

Post by tobi480turbo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:54 am

Hi,

about the bottom end,

as far as I remember the bottom end is slightly different than the B18 one.
The engine block is ~20mm higher it has another crankshaft which is forged and has other conrods. I´ve installed other bearings at the crnkshaft ( 3 material ) and the pistons are milled down a little bit at the top to lower the compression.

Cheers

Tobi

classicswede
480 Newbie

Post by classicswede » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:02 pm

Cheers.

I'll post some pics when the conversion is done. I just finished getting it running on gas injection today so all I'll need to do when the turbo goes on is a remap.