new injectors

For those of you not faint of heart, who believe the Volvo 480 should have more torque and horsepower, find all you need to know in here.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Red
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Red » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:07 pm

Nearest thing seems to be Porsche 928. I haven't looked at the ECUs for one of those myself, but schematics are closer than anything else out there.
as my car was at the bosch service for fixing emission problems, they said that the testing device for the ecu fits only to volvo 480 and the porsche 928. so maybe the ecus are nearly the same.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Rednaxela999/d15baeb3.jpg[/img]
Stripping my turbo: [url]http://www.480.hazelnet.de[/url]

crispy-d
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by crispy-d » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:59 pm

For those of you who have bought injectors (second hand), is £60 inc. P&P a lot for 804 injectors? If it is, you see, I'll wait till I can find some cheaper ones. For some reason they seem hard to come by though, so wondered if I should go for these ones now and hold on to them for when I get the other mods done.
Volvo 340 GL 1.7 :) - Nice (RWD missed) - sold
Volvo 460 SI Turbo ('Rich Mod' / 2.5" Longlife SS exhaust / 710N CBV / Cold Air Intake) - (Turbo missed) - sold
Volvo S90 3.0 CD 24v (RWD back again! LOVING the straight six :) ) - is 16mpg that bad...? - sold
BMW E34 540i 6-speed Manual V8 :) - sold
BMW E39 M5
Land Rover 110 V8

TommiS

Post by TommiS » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:48 pm

crispy-d wrote:For those of you who have bought injectors (second hand), is £60 inc. P&P a lot for 804 injectors? If it is, you see, I'll wait till I can find some cheaper ones. For some reason they seem hard to come by though, so wondered if I should go for these ones now and hold on to them for when I get the other mods done.
I paid 40euros for 4 injectors "804". I think that it was pretty cheap atleast here in Finland.

crispy-d

Post by crispy-d » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:11 pm

Is there anyway the MAF from the 760 Turbo would work on our engines, as they are set up to run with the 804 injectors? Or are they completely different? They look similar size.
Volvo 460 SI Turbo ('Rich Mod' / 2.5" Longlife SS exhaust / 710N CBV / Cold Air Intake) - (Turbo missed) - sold
Volvo S90 3.0 CD 24v (RWD back again! LOVING the straight six :) ) - is 16mpg that bad...? - sold
BMW E39 M5
Land Rover 110 V8

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:56 pm

I'm considering selling my 804's. I'd be after £40, which is what i paid for them.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

crispy-d

Post by crispy-d » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:02 pm

REALLY?!?! Hmm......:D

Well have you used them? As in do they actually work? Cos that would save me a fortune if I don't have to pay to have them reconditioned. I'd also rather by them off a Club Member.

I think I PMd you a few days back, don't know if you got it, was about an engine mount...?
BMW E39 M5
Land Rover 110 V8

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:47 pm

Not recieved any engine mount related pm?!

I'm stuck with these atm. The last one i made is sitting in the back of brasco's car (i think) and he doesn't have access to it. I needed an old one off him to be able to make another. Also, annoyingly, the flexane went off that i had left. - Which means i need to use a whole can per mount. - Upshot is if you sent me an old mount and about 45quid/tin of flexane i'd happily make one for you, but otherwise i can't.

The injectors I have not used, but they came from a running volvo. Easy enough to check them...just connect to fuel rail and turn the engine over. even spray patterns and its all good.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

TommiS

Post by TommiS » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:51 pm

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/T ... okset1.jpg

OK, i bought these injectors and they turned out wrong. They are low-impedance (2.5ohms) Bosch "804" injectors from -92 940 Turbo i think. Its not big deal but i though i write here that there really are different "804" injectors. These would probably work with somekind of resistor pack but i think i will search the right ones that are direct fit.

Greetings
Tommi S

yknot

Post by yknot » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:03 pm

i started to search injectors from saab turbo, 440cc for my project, megasquirt is on the way, maybe in spring i will get closer to the road :)
volvo 480turbo 1990 RICHMODED, adjustable FPR, SSQV BOV, free flow exhaust. - sold
1.6 16v Suzuki Samurai with many mods.
Nissan Note DCi

crispy-d

Post by crispy-d » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:38 am

Thanks for the PM, Tommi. Yeh - this is what I was worried about. JohnTurbo - I don't suppose you know what kind you have, do you; whether they'll connect straight up without any 'fiddling' neccessary? As I don't trust the scrappies to check the resistance of theirs!

I'm thinking the engine mount is a project for the summer - already having had my bracket replaced not all that long ago. I'm hoping the new bracket, which is a thicker revised one from Volvo, will stand up to the job ok, it's just that dashpot thing. It surprises me that it can burst like that! Just a bit crappy I suppose! Whether wrapping the outside wall of it in something to reinforce it would help, I don't know. I am worried about top engine mounts, as in bolting the cylinder head to the bulkhead, as surely that induces filthy shear forces on parts of the engine that don't usually get them? Bit Rich has done it, so it must be ok?!

One more question (sorry for stupid long post, again) but can the signal from MAF Pin 3 to Fuel ECU Pin 7 not be controlled by whacking a potentiometer somewhere in between? Or is it not that simple?

Once again, thanks a lot for the info, Tommi.

Crispin
BMW E39 M5
Land Rover 110 V8

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:49 pm

TommiS wrote:OK, i bought these injectors and they turned out wrong. They are low-impedance (2.5ohms) Bosch "804" injectors from -92 940 Turbo i think. Its not big deal but i though i write here that there really are different "804" injectors. These would probably work with somekind of resistor pack but i think i will search the right ones that are direct fit.
If the injectors are too low impedance then, it's fairly simple to fit resistors. Just add a resistor to each injector feed wire. The easiest place to do that is the connector near the engine lifting eye. There are 8 wires there, simply cut the 4 feed wires, and solder in a resistor (6 ohms would be ok).

You would need to be looking at resistors with at least 10W power rating.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:58 pm

crispy-d wrote: I am worried about top engine mounts, as in bolting the cylinder head to the bulkhead, as surely that induces filthy shear forces on parts of the engine that don't usually get them? Bit Rich has done it, so it must be ok?!
I'm actualy not sure it's ok. The top mount near the cam belt end of the engine is attached to the lifting eye. It's fairly solidly fixed to the head, but should bend before damaging anything.

The opposite end mount should take more of the force, and isn't attached to the head at all. It is bolted to the gearbox in three places, two of the gearbox to engine bolts, and one mounting bolt on the gearbox top.

The picture here shows the mount. It is the funny three legged thing, and a handy new bracket to bolt stuff too as well :)

If needed I'll make something a bit more heavy duty for the other side.

Richard
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

tobi480turbo
480 Veteran

Post by tobi480turbo » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:29 pm

Hi,

I bought some new injectors today :)

At the momoent I´ve some problems with my old ones ... so I took a look at Ebay and bought some 346ccm/min Injectors.
They have the BOSCH Nr. 0 280 150 951 if somebody is looking for new ones or upgrades. I think they´ll be good when running a modded engine :)

Looking like this:

Cheers

Tobi
red 480 turbo ´91, B20F(T) engine, NGK BPR 7ES sparks, increased MAF, injectors from a 760, cold air intake ,koni springs, Momo sport steering wheel, leather seats, volvo 14" rims, new TB25 turbocharger installed :)

TommiS

Post by TommiS » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:24 pm

rpruen wrote:
TommiS wrote:OK, i bought these injectors and they turned out wrong. They are low-impedance (2.5ohms) Bosch "804" injectors from -92 940 Turbo i think. Its not big deal but i though i write here that there really are different "804" injectors. These would probably work with somekind of resistor pack but i think i will search the right ones that are direct fit.
If the injectors are too low impedance then, it's fairly simple to fit resistors. Just add a resistor to each injector feed wire. The easiest place to do that is the connector near the engine lifting eye. There are 8 wires there, simply cut the 4 feed wires, and solder in a resistor (6 ohms would be ok).

You would need to be looking at resistors with at least 10W power rating.

Richard
Hmm, if I add 6 ohms resistor for 2,5 ohm injector is that 8,5 ohms then ? Is that enough ? I dont know the impedance for standard injectors but i though they were 16 ohms. I have just read some horror stories about the burned ECU by too low resistance injectors.

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:49 pm

TommiS wrote: Hmm, if I add 6 ohms resistor for 2,5 ohm injector is that 8,5 ohms then ? Is that enough ? I dont know the impedance for standard injectors but i though they were 16 ohms. I have just read some horror stories about the burned ECU by too low resistance injectors.
Yes the injectors are 16 ohm as standard. The ECU can handle 8 ohms just fine, it won't have a problem at all. Fitting a bigger resistance would be ok, but then you run into problems of heat in the resistor.

Richard
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6