Something a little different

Sometimes it's fun just to snoop around other peoples junk. Or you might be looking for something you can't find elsewhere. Then this section is for you!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Post Reply
User avatar
MisterH
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Something a little different

Post by MisterH » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:19 pm

Afternoon all

I know these probably aren't your thing, but as I am really keen for this to go to a good home, and I find everyone on here to be the great sort this car needs, I am offering this here.

This is my 1994 Rover 220 GSi, I haven't had it for long, but it is by far and away the cleanest car me and my father have bought 2nd hand.
This is what I put out on the 200/400 club:
We bought this car in October of last year, with a view to using it for a school project as part of my A-Levels
The aim of the project was to see how much horsepower I could restore in the car without modifying it, however, in hindsight, this car was far too good for this project, as it was barely used for 13 years.
We bought the car off of a very nice chap, incidentally a committee member of the MkII Cortina club, who had known the car locally for many years. It had been stored in a container during his year long tenure, as such it was very clean.
The car had been bought new as an ex demonstrator by a Navy man, who had part-ex’d his SD3 216 Vdp for it. He then used the car for weekly runs down to Portsmouth and back, from his home in the West Country.
The car stopped being used in about 2006, and was put in a very clean garage and left sleeping.
In 2018, the car was recommissioned by the new owner, including a cylinder head rebuild.

When we bought the car, we remarked that it was undoubtedly the cleanest car we had ever bought, however it did have some issues.
The drive back was the cars longest in 13 years, Somerset to Hampshire, but it drove very well. The Thermostat was not working, so we made sure to fit a replacement unit first thing.
In January, as part of the project, we took the car to be dyno tested. The results of this test showed it to be producing 123bhp at the wheels.
After this we undertook a full service of the car, including:
Oil Change (gearbox and engine)
New Spark Plugs,
New Oil Filter
New Tyres
When we retested the car after these changes, it was found to produce 121.2bhp on that run, however the tester said that the change was negligible.
This car could be one of the best surviving examples of a very rare model, I unfortunately have not developed the passion for it, but still care for it and want it to go to a good, enthusiastic home.
We have used the car quite a bit, but not really enough, and it has lived outside in our (albeit short) tenure.
The car does still have some issues which we simply haven’t had the time to sort, but the list is short:
The Battery keeps draining
It is not known why this is, but most times where the battery is left connected, the car will run out of power when left. That being said, there have been one or two occasions where it has been left for a while connected and it still starts.

The rocker cover does leak oil, the area was rebuilt prior to our ownership, however the builder used useless red hematite sealant which has fragmented, leading to a very well lubricated, but leaking rocker cover. When we changed the plugs, we found oil had leaked into their sockets, so when we put the new ones in, we made sure to put a protective seal around them using a heftier agent.

There are also a couple of rust spots which I have noticed, I have monitored them closely, making sure to squirt them with WD40 or apply rust converter every time I give the bodywork a good going over, recently I have put some rust converter on there to keep things in check. They are very small, and shouldn't take much to repair

This is all that is wrong with the car, the rocker cover problem is not much of an issue so long as one remembers to top it up with oil. The 16v Twin Cam engine starts first time every time unless the battery is dead, and the car drives fantastically, really fun.

In terms of provenance, this car earns points as it has its original dealer plates, stickers, extra stickers (green flag), brochures and full history from purchase.
This is one of the finest cars I have owned, but I feel I haven’t done it justice, it just needs a home where it can be cherished.

This car is one of the best out there I am sure of that, as such I really don't want it to go to the modding brigade or boy racers, this needs an enthusiast, can anyone help out?
In addition, my friend Gavin at Petrolblog (a fierce advocate of unloved cars, big fan of the 480) put together a brilliant article for me:
https://petrolblog.com/2020/05/rover-220-gsi-for-sale/

Asking £3470 for it, as I would like the space and funds to take on another quirky classic

Image

Image

Image

I don't know if its anyone's 'thing' but I'd be relieved for it to go to someone I know will look after it

Many thanks
Ben
Current Jobs to do (12/9/20):
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork
Suspension creaking below 40mph

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Something a little different

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:12 pm

Nice car! I've a soft spot for the Coupe (but only if it's the honda engined version - I love an underdog!)

Also tell Gavin he's an absolute legend!

User avatar
MisterH
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Something a little different

Post by MisterH » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:16 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:12 pm
Nice car! I've a soft spot for the Coupe (but only if it's the honda engined version - I love an underdog!)

Also tell Gavin he's an absolute legend!
I am not sure if the 220 is the Honda or Rover, but I know its a T-Series engine, which I think is a Rover unit, but it certainly drives excellently. just got to keep topping up oil...
Current Jobs to do (12/9/20):
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork
Suspension creaking below 40mph

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Something a little different

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:17 pm

T series was the rover engine - thankfully a little more reliable than the K series....

Oh and given Petrolblog's 480 article was written in 2011, maybe suggest to Gavin that a "retrospective" is due...

Norm57
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: Knaresborough

Re: Something a little different

Post by Norm57 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:32 pm

I am currently using a 15 yr old rover 75 as my daily driver and to be honest with you I cannot fault it. Everything works as it should, very comfortable, and only 60k miles. But by god it’s BORING!!!

User avatar
MisterH
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Something a little different

Post by MisterH » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:39 pm

Norm57 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:32 pm
I am currently using a 15 yr old rover 75 as my daily driver and to be honest with you I cannot fault it. Everything works as it should, very comfortable, and only 60k miles. But by god it’s BORING!!!
I can assure you Norm that definitely isn't the case with this, we were very surprised at just how good it was to drive, equal to, if not surpassing my mothers old MkIII Golf GTi 16v from back in my childhood
Current Jobs to do (12/9/20):
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork
Suspension creaking below 40mph

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: Something a little different

Post by dcwalker » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:10 pm

That is a fine looking example of a very rare beast, Ben. Whilst it's not a car I would personally be interested in acquiring (especially not after adding a V50 just yesterday), I can - and do - certainly appreciate it for what it is :D

My own Rover experience was with a couple of 600s back in the late 90's, and they were lovely cars and went surprisingly well. We bought the first one (M reg) because it was one of the very few cars (ever) that Lee saw and said she liked the design of, so when a good one came up at the right time we went for it. We were so pleased with it we had a second (P reg) which was even better!

Sadly, we were persuaded by a clever car salesman (to my lasting disgust) to part with it for a brand-new Rover 45. One of only two brand-new cars we have ever had. It was a fantastic deal and we thought we were helping Rover as they struggled through their final days under BMW. Sadly, the car was a real Friday-afternoon job and we traded it in (at considerable financial loss) for our first V40. That was my return to Volvo after various cars, and we have been nothing but Volvo ever since.

Good luck with finding the 220 a new home - I am sure you will because like all these quirky rare cars they have their following ;) . Make sure you don't sell yourself short with it though, because from the couple of photos you've put up it looks an excellent example!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
MisterH
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: Something a little different

Post by MisterH » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:00 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:10 pm
That is a fine looking example of a very rare beast, Ben. Whilst it's not a car I would personally be interested in acquiring (especially not after adding a V50 just yesterday), I can - and do - certainly appreciate it for what it is :D

My own Rover experience was with a couple of 600s back in the late 90's, and they were lovely cars and went surprisingly well. We bought the first one (M reg) because it was one of the very few cars (ever) that Lee saw and said she liked the design of, so when a good one came up at the right time we went for it. We were so pleased with it we had a second (P reg) which was even better!

Sadly, we were persuaded by a clever car salesman (to my lasting disgust) to part with it for a brand-new Rover 45. One of only two brand-new cars we have ever had. It was a fantastic deal and we thought we were helping Rover as they struggled through their final days under BMW. Sadly, the car was a real Friday-afternoon job and we traded it in (at considerable financial loss) for our first V40. That was my return to Volvo after various cars, and we have been nothing but Volvo ever since.

Good luck with finding the 220 a new home - I am sure you will because like all these quirky rare cars they have their following ;) . Make sure you don't sell yourself short with it though, because from the couple of photos you've put up it looks an excellent example!

David
Thanks David, I had initially put it up for £3750 but that was very optimistic for a model that is not straight A* condition, and in a global pandemic, but I think it should still provide funds for another project

on a side note I am going to view this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7LH8t0Xu4c) Peugeot 305 GTX on sunday, though an asking price of £850 seems a bit low, are they really that unloved?
Current Jobs to do (12/9/20):
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork
Suspension creaking below 40mph

Post Reply