Spotted In Brixton: White ES

When you spot a 480 and wonder if it's someone from the forum: ask it here! One rule: do NOT post registration plates.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Macaroon
Advanced 480 rookie

Spotted In Brixton: White ES

Post by Macaroon » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:16 pm

Immaculate white H-reg 480 ES spotted at the traffic lights on Acre lane on Weds 1st November.

If you managed to find the site and forums, Hi! Its good to see another London 480 owner; make a post and get involved.
:wave:

If you didn't make it here - sorry, the lights changed as I was trying to tell you the URL. :(

Rich

PS. Daniël, VBB, Wayne, Gaz: Wasn't there discussion about having a separate forum heading for Spotted...? I think it would be a great idea and an easy way to welcome people who we meet randomly on the road.
Tonee: '93 Two Tone. High mileage but nice 'n' tidy.
Sheba: '91 ES Paris Special. Love that leather, baby. Scrapped and used as a spares car.

Big Brother

Re: Spotted In Brixton: White ES

Post by Big Brother » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:38 pm

Macaroon wrote: PS. Daniël, VBB, Wayne, Gaz: Wasn't there discussion about having a separate forum heading for Spotted...? I think it would be a great idea and an easy way to welcome people who we meet randomly on the road.
There was a while ago, there are some legal issues about posting number plates and stuff like that so the idea was scrapped. I think thats how it went anyway

2001 V70

Macaroon
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: Spotted In Brixton: White ES

Post by Macaroon » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:51 pm

volvo-bigbrother wrote:There was a while ago, there are some legal issues about posting number plates and stuff like that so the idea was scrapped.
Ah, thanks Ad, so that's what happened.

I can imagine people may be afraid that their plates could be cloned etc but that isn't an obstacle to having a forum to say "Hi I spotted you - are you a member of 480 Club Europe?"... so long as we don't post full number plates.

It strikes me it would be a good way to get new people onto the site and involved. If Daniël agreed, it could be linked from the main site as sort of "Welcome - have we spotted you out there" sort of thing, to bring people from the guest book into the forum. Like a reverse guest book! It would just need moderating to make sure full plates are not posted.

Maybe I should post this as a new thread for a proper discussion.

Rich
Sheba: '91 ES Paris Special. Love that leather, baby. Scrapped and used as a spares car.

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:14 pm

It wasn’t so much plates being cloned, it was more like, anyone could come onto the forum spot a car and its plate and accuse the driver of bumping them and driving away (true or not)

2001 V70

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:31 pm

Well anyone could do that to a car they saw in the street.

Personally I think all the fussing about posting numberplates is a bit OTT,
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:35 pm

Just saying what I was told

2001 V70

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:47 pm

Sorry, that probably came across as being a bit short, didn't mean it to.

Still, trust me, if I don't worry about something, it aint worth worrying about!
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

stu chacks

Post by stu chacks » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:33 am

I think it's a good idea too, I think 480's are so rare that just the colour/model/where spotted would be all you needed without reg plates if that's an issue. Actually seen 2 480's lastmonth around Wrexham, need to get Dan's flyer printed off!

Is there any news on the 'my hobby/480' section where we all have one post to stick our cars, what were up to with them etc VBB/Admin?

Stu.

piper1st
480 Is my middle name

Post by piper1st » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:59 am

In a country where identity theft is rife, I think posting full number plates for the purpose of saying “Hi I spotted you – are you a member of the 480 club Europe?” is unnecessary and I certainly wouldn’t like my number plate with make/model/colour etc readily available on the internet! :(
stu chacks wrote:I think 480's are so rare that just the colour/model/where spotted would be all you needed without reg plates if that's an issue.
I think your spot on Stu ... 480's are so rare, so just basic details should be enough to narrow the doubt?!?

Does anybody know if other forums for rare cars have such a section (i.e. VW campers / VW beetles / mini's), if so, how do they work?
Current:
Honda Civic ES I-VTEC
previous:
BMW E46 330i SE Touring
VW Mk4 Golf V6 4Motion
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR ST205 WRC
1995 (M) Dark Grey Metallic 480 Turbo
1994 (M) Flame Red Metallic 480GT
1992 (J) Black Metallic 480ES 1.7i

Macaroon
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by Macaroon » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:24 pm

piper1st wrote:In a country where identity theft is rife, I think posting full number plates for the purpose of saying “Hi I spotted you – are you a member of the 480 club Europe?” is unnecessary and I certainly wouldn’t like my number plate with make/model/colour etc readily available on the internet!
Nobody has ever suggested we should post number plates in a Spotted forum. Indeed what I have done here - and what everybody has always done (to my knowledge) - is exactly what we are all agreeing we should do anyway... (if it is generally considered a good idea to do it at all)...

So, come one, shouldn't we do this? :D

Darren
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Darren » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:30 pm

piper1st wrote:Does anybody know if other forums for rare cars have such a section (i.e. VW campers / VW beetles / mini's), if so, how do they work?
I run a Mini forum and we have a 'Spotted' section. It's a real treat to have, can't say we've ever had any bother at all, nevermind registration plates. It's not something people seem to mind, not now-a-days, plus we've never had any complaints!

I'm also one a VW Bus / Bug forum too, and they have a Spotted area. No rules on registrations here either, but I've took note that most of the members tend to only post part of the registration.. Down to common knowledge and consideration for others privacy I suspect!

If it is going to be an issue though, it's not hard to set a rule stating that at least 2/3 characters of the registration must be 'blanked' out.

:volvo:

We all know how popular a Spotted section would be, as would the awaited 'Pride & Joy' section for members cars... :D
[b]Make:[/b] Volvo � [b]Model:[/b] 480 S � [b]Year:[/b] 1995 � [b]Colour[/b]: Black Met. � [b]Engine[/b]: 1721cc

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/thisismyminiadventure/V480S/sigavatar/480S_Downhill.jpg[/img]

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:11 pm

I have been looking at your forum Darren. I like the idea, would be good.

2001 V70