The bridge in fuse position 23

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

The bridge in fuse position 23

Post by dcwalker » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:30 pm

I am unsure whether this applies to the earlier models, but it is certainly relevant to 1991 and onwards.

In the fuse-box, at position 23, you will find a slightly odd looking item - it resembles a fuse, but sits a bit proud and has much thinner prongs on it. It's the orange item in this (sorry, rather poor) photo:

You'll also notice that the label on the fuse-box lid that tells you what fuse does what is completely empty for 23. Don't let that make you think what is in that slot is irrelevant - far from it!

One of the tasks in the original Volvo 400 pre-delivery service instructions is to remove the bridge from fuse-box position 20 (which is intentionally empty on our cars) and insert it in position 23.

I have not made a study of exactly how the wiring here works (the Volvo workshop manuals make no other reference to it that I can readily find, and it doesn't really matter) but clearly it is connected with the functions covered by fuses 21 and 22. If you do not have the orange bridge in place in 23, you will find that:

- the clock stops every time the car is turned off;
- the radio does not remember its settings;
- the courtesy lights do not work on opening doors (they work if you switch them on, as does the ignition key light because that is on a separate circuit);
- the glove-box light does not work;
- the instrument panel rheostat (dimmer) does not work;
- most critically, the info centre does not work - it will be illuminated but blank.

If you have these symptoms together, first thing to check is that the bridge at fuse slot 23 is in place - it's a small but vital item!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: The bridge in fuse position 23

Post by MisterH » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:58 pm

Well my courtesy light and key light mysteriously started working the other week, without doing anything, but my info centre has always worked
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:55 pm

Not sure whether the early cars had the bridge...be interesting to know if yours has it?

Obviously this is 480 electrics we are talking about, so it's only one possible explanation for electrical madness :lol:

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:20 am

dcwalker wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:30 pm
I am unsure whether this applies to the earlier models, but it is certainly relevant to 1991 and onwards.

In the fuse-box, at position 23, you will find a slightly odd looking item - it resembles a fuse, but sits a bit proud and has much thinner prongs on it. It's the orange item in this (sorry, rather poor) photo:

You'll also notice that the label on the fuse-box lid that tells you what fuse does what is completely empty for 23. Don't let that make you think what is in that slot is irrelevant - far from it!
I'm guessing the thinner prongs explains why we couldn't just dump a fuse into that slot too?