How to replace the rear washer nozzle - The Guide

In case you performed a procedure on your 480 which you would like to share with other 480 drivers: please post a 'manual' here. The threads on this forum aren't open for debate, if you read a manual and it can do with an improvement: please persuade the writer by PM to alter a certain part. If you feel the manual is incomplete then make a brief addition in a reply to the thread. Just don't start debates in this forum.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

How to replace the rear washer nozzle - The Guide

Post by MisterH » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:59 pm

So I have now successfully completed this operation, I will now write this so others can benefit from it.

Those who try to remove the nozzle will find that it cannot be simply pulled out and replaced, it is a rather more complex process.

Step 1: remove the C-Pillar trim

On first inspection this is a very solid piece of 480 trim, in order to remove it one has to look for the two brass coloured C-clips that hold it in place. These can be found hiding underneath the boot seal.

Now one can choose to be 'brutal' with them and eventually the piece will come out, but that runs the risk of snapping stuff. As I didn't quite know what I was doing, I loosened the rear wheel/seat belt trim that includes the storage bins, allowing me to pry the window side of the C-Pillar trim out with a screwdriver, it should just pop out gently.

For the C-Clips in the boot seal, just gently push them with a flathead and again the piece should pop out. Again you could be brutal but I can't recommend it

you should now see the exposed pillar:

Step 2: Undoing the nut
This sounds simple, but is more difficult than it sounds. The nut is located in a position which means that it cannot be got at by a spanner at all, or a ratchet easily. If you remove the water hose first, then a ratchet might do the job, however, I used a pair of pliers to slowly spin the nut until it came out. Be very careful at this stage as the nut can all to easily fall into the depths of the C-pillar, and I doubt many people want to structurally compromise their car in the name of a nut :crazy:.

Step 3: Replacing the Nozzle

Perhaps the simplest part of the job is slotting the new nozzle unit into the hole. The nut can be seen to be difficult to replace so it is vital that the nut is placed onto the thread, but with the water hose attached behind it so it cannot fall off before you tighten it. The tightening can only be done with pliers unless you have a special tool the existence of which I am unaware of.

Step 4: Refitting the trim
"Refit is the reverse of removal" - St Haynes, Patron of lies and Misery

This is actually fairly straightforward, if you are well versed in 480 trim you shouldn't be phased. The C-Pillar trim just slots and clips in, and if you did loosen the seat belt/boot trim, then replace the screws as necessary.

One of the cases where that old saying does ring true

Conclusion

The first job I have carried out and completed unassisted physically, and I must say I am quite proud (I am probably blissfully unaware).

It is a fairly simple job, but the nut is in a really awkward position and so that is definitely a curveball

Many thanks to all who advised me before I set out

I hope this helps someone one day, please let me know if there is anything I have missed or if there is a better way of doing things

Good Day!
Ben
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: How to replace the rear washer nozzle - The Guide

Post by doingitsideways » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:39 pm

Nice write up.

Only thing I'd add is that in situations similar to that, where I know it's fairly likely I'm going to lose a nut somewhere, but only possible to get one finger in, I've always found it useful to wind the nut to nearly off and used a lump pf blu tack on the end of my finger to keep hold of it.
Useful for refitting too.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:08 pm

C pillar trim on mine is with 'one way' plastic clips that sit in the two circular holes, so over the years things have changed?

I think also same metod of attachment on the 93 & 95 versions??
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:42 pm

doingitsideways wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:39 pm
Nice write up.

Only thing I'd add is that in situations similar to that, where I know it's fairly likely I'm going to lose a nut somewhere, but only possible to get one finger in, I've always found it useful to wind the nut to nearly off and used a lump pf blu tack on the end of my finger to keep hold of it.
Useful for refitting too.
That's brilliant, shall try and remember that for next time
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:44 pm

On the subject of losing the nut down inside, I'd stuff a good sized rag in to form a bung for the nut to land on.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:00 am

Alan 480 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:08 pm
C pillar trim on mine is with 'one way' plastic clips that sit in the two circular holes, so over the years things have changed?

I think also same metod of attachment on the 93 & 95 versions??
I did spot some of those in the middle of my one, but was unsure of their purpose, so they will require you to lever the trim piece out with a screwdriver
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:35 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:44 pm
On the subject of losing the nut down inside, I'd stuff a good sized rag in to form a bung for the nut to land on.
That is really clever. A sponge also will do.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

Sebo
480 Newbie

Post by Sebo » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:38 am

Hi everyone!
I've been using the french 480 forum for ages (since 2014), but first time on yours!
Didn't find the presentation page, sorry. Hope you won't kick me out too fast :)

My name is Sebastien, 46yo, Aeronautical Engineer in commercial aircraft cabin modification, and I hope soon airline pilot.
My 480 is a black Turbo 1989.

I'm looking for a rear washer nozzle since mine is broken, and found your topic.
Would any of you have spares available, or any remanufactured 3D printed solutions?
Thanks for your help!
480 Turbo 89
XLBEX063E0C536203

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:43 pm

Salut Sebastian!
Sebo wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:38 am
Hi everyone!
I've been using the french 480 forum for ages (since 2014), but first time on yours!
Didn't find the presentation page, sorry. Hope you won't kick me out too fast :)

My name is Sebastien, 46yo, Aeronautical Engineer in commercial aircraft cabin modification, and I hope soon airline pilot.
My 480 is a black Turbo 1989.

I'm looking for a rear washer nozzle since mine is broken, and found your topic.
Would any of you have spares available, or any remanufactured 3D printed solutions?
Thanks for your help!
I do remember seeing someone post talking about remanufacturing parts but I cannot remember if it was here or on Facebook. @jifflemon will likely know
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Sebo
480 Newbie

Post by Sebo » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:55 pm

Ok thanks for your reply!
By the time I found a used one, but will try a repair procedure using a metal tube to replace the broken part.
Will let you know!
480 Turbo 89
XLBEX063E0C536203

Sebo
480 Newbie

Post by Sebo » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:15 pm

Hi everyone!
As promised, if like me your rear washer nozzle is broken :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FvXuf5 ... sp=sharing

and you don't have any replacement part, here is a repair procedure.

Find an aluminium tube, 3mm diameter and remove the broken part from the nozzle :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H1zrfE ... drive_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SNv61m ... drive_link

Drill the broken plastic tube with a 3mm drill bit to enlarge the hole :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dThV-X ... drive_link

Insert and glue the aluminium tube in the drilled plastic tube :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rb20yD ... drive_link

Drill the base hole on the car pillar, same diameter on about 4-5mm depth :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hHKo69 ... drive_link
Spray a bit of washer fluid to evacuate any debris which may clogg the nozzle.

Cut extra aluminium tube to keep about 4-5mm on the reworked broken tube, and insert in the reworked hole. Be careful as the plastic tube has a flat area, which must be positionned outboard of the car (Right Hand side).
Flat shown in incorrect position :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JsbOYm ... drive_link
Correct position (flat not visible) :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/117E2X0 ... drive_link

I fisrt wanted to position it correctly before gluing it, but as it was tight enought, I decided not to glue it.
Depending on your situation, you might require to use glue to avoid any leakage. Just keep that in mind before doing so, as you might not be able to adjust the spray nozle direction if uncorrectly glued...

Reinstall the nozzle base (unfortunately, I lost mine), then the triangular nozzle, make sure you have no leakage on the nozzle base, and enjoy!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WJTyzH ... drive_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X1DA89 ... drive_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GjBn9S ... drive_link
480 Turbo 89
XLBEX063E0C536203